Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Uke player looking for advice

Default New Uke player looking for advice

Hi,

I'm a new Uke player, a hack guitarist and a competent bassist, and I'm looking for a nice Uke. I bought an islander tenor a couple of weeks ago, and the action is uncomfortably high, and my local luthier wasn't able to do much about it.

I think I need an upgrade, as it really is unpleasant to play form ore than 10-15 minutes at a time. I've been plying fretted stringed instruments since 5th grade. I'm 48 now, so I know what a nice instrument feels like, but not what a nice Uke feels like. Unfortunately there isn't a great place near me to go try nice instruments before I buy.

I was considering getting a Kanilea from HMS, and hoping for the best, but then I found this site, and thought I'd do a little more research, and maybe even buy from the classifieds here.

So, I can afford a nice instrument, but am looking for getting the best quality before serious diminishing returns kick in. My plan is just to play and sing songs with my niece, not gig or record.

That said, nice balanced sound is appreciated, but playing comfort and reasonable action is my priority.

I'm looking for a tenor with a 1.5" (or larger) nut width. There is a kanilea for sale on the site here in the $700 range that is totally within budget, but not sure how much variability there is in how these things come as far as set up and playability.

Anyone have any advice how to upgrade from this $200 import to something that I will love playing?

Also, in case it matters, I'm looking for something setup for a low G and unwound G string. Living Waters perhaps?

thanks for any help understanding what I'm trying to buy.

Get in touch with Mim at Mim Ukes, she'ill give you some of the best advice and choices you'll find anywhere, and do an excellent setup. www.mimsukes.com.

Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos
    Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, provide ukuleles to kids in hospital music therapy programs.
    Patronize Bruce Wei Arts eBay store/custom shop in Vietnam http://stores.ebay.com/Bruceweiart-M...nstrument-Shop, good products, reasonable price. (Don't heed old reviews, he makes good stuff.)

PS: find another Luthier.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilUSAFRet View Post
    Well, he didn't want to take more off the saddle than he did, as he was afraid it would be too much and induce buzzing at the saddle. He said his only option was to remove and shim the neck to change the neck angle, and the work would cost twice what the uke did. He recommended against that expense, and with good reason.

I'm not sure this was a limitation of a luthier with a strong reputation as much as getting what you pay for in a chinese import instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Rob View Post
    Well, he didn't want to take more off the saddle than he did, as he was afraid it would be too much and induce buzzing at the saddle. He said his only option was to remove and shim the neck to change the neck angle, and the work would cost twice what the uke did. He recommended against that expense, and with good reason.

I'm not sure this was a limitation of a luthier with a strong reputation as much as getting what you pay for in a chinese import instrument.
    Did he check the action at the neck?
    Martin OXK Soprano
    Kamaka HF3 Tenor
    Eastman EU3C Concert
    Martin S1

I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by kkimura View Post
    Did he check the action at the neck?
    With a string action gage, you can usually find a sweet spot on most tenor ukes at 2.65mm on the 12th fret, and I've found that you need to get down to, or below 2.5mm to get buzzing frets, and usually only with vigorous strumming. if the frets buzz at 2.65mm, then you may need a fret levelling and re-crowning if the frets are of uneven heights.

Also if action is too high at the nut, not only will the uke be difficult to play, bet despite the open strings being in tune, when you are fretting chords in 1st position, they will NOT be in tune, and the nut slots can be lowered in order to improve both action/feel as WELL as your intonation....

It's not rocket science, but doing a setup requires patience and finesse, and can be time consuming due to it's iterative nature of small increments as the best-practices method.

HMS & Mim always get good feedback on here, as you will see if you look around, & they do a proper set up before dispatch.

I would normally say a Kala Cedar top or mahogany, but I think Mim does more Ohana than Kala, & Ohana have a cedar top & mahogany uke too.
    Get some Low G flourocarbons fitted when you place the order, (I like Living Water).
    Keith M --> likes a long neck - & being different.....

Learn to adjust the action yourself . It is not that hard to do. Start with a search on this site for "action" and there is lots of info. Another wealth of info is "Frets.com" .
    Welding torch tip cleaners are very cheap and work well for adjusting action.
    Last edited by Pukulele Pete; 09-09-2017 at 03:17 AM. Reason: wont tell
    " Anything larger than a soprano is cheating "
    " I'm no luthier but ,........"

On the Islander, you may consider a lighter tension string set.

I generally recommend buying used if you can. If this is the one you mentioned for sale on here it's a good deal for $700 ~

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...-Tenor-New-750

Agreed.

Generally, I prefer about 0.030" (~1/32") clearance at the first fret, and about 0.090" (~3/32") clearance at the 12th fret for a tenor.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

Thread Information