Acoustc-Electric--does it affect the sound?

Reaction score
Hi all!

My first post here--did a search and didn't see this addressed directly so wanted to ask this before I take a leap.

I have the opportunity to purchase an acoustic-electric uke for just a small price difference for the same uke in a plain acoustic version. I have no idea if I would ever really need to amp it up, but for a nominal amount of money, it might be worth it to have the option. HOWEVER, I don't want to do it if I will be sacrificing the sound. So please, uku lovers--what say you? To amp or not to amp?

Kim

Short answer: no, the presence of a pickup does not have an appreciable effect on the acoustic tone of an instrument. But also be aware that "small price difference" does not usually equate to a high quality pickup. So if you are buying the instrument mainly for acoustic use but want the electric option, then fine, get it, but don't expect too much from the electric tone.

I don't see how it would be sacrificing the sound. If anything, you would be enhancing the sound if the settings on your amp were dialed in appropriately. Can you describe what type of pick up would be installed and what type of amp you have?

I have preamps in almost all my ukes, either they came with it or I installed it. I always want the option of adding amplification. It does not effect the acoustic sound at all.

When I started out, I thought a built in pickup would be the bees knees.
But in fact, I didn't use it much, before going over to acoustic with a mic for recording my videos for the Seasons thread on here.
So, basically, if you think you want it, you might as well have it, your next uke may or may not. :)

Thank you all for your input, I greatly appreciate it! I'm still debating (now on the aesthetics of it) and will make my decision shortly now as a much more informed consumer :)

In my opinion, a serious maker or company would not go to the extra effort and cost of installing the electronics if the uke was design to play unplugged, and usually if the electronics are installed, the uke has been designed to be played plugged in most of the time.
I have to respectfully disagree with this. Other than a few oddballs like the solid bodies and chambered bodies, I can't think of any "acoustic-electric" examples designed to be plugged in most of the time. And note that these are generally advertised as "electric" not "acoustic-electric".

Top Bottom