Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Seattle WA

Default Hello from Seattle WA

Hey Everyone,
    I'm Matt and I'm 29 and currently living in Seattle (Washington), where I work at Amazon as a software engineer and where I live with my wife and our two fur children: Metric (German Shepherd) and Mushroom (a mini Australian) shepherd. I had picked up the ukulele close to two years ago, when I wanted to surprise my then girlfriend (now wife) by proposing to her while singing and playing the ukulele. I was able to learn (through a series of YouTube videos) just enough basics—four major chords and island strum–to play "Can't help falling in Love" by Elvis.

maxella me uke.jpg

Fast forward two years later.

I had noticed my ukulele collecting dust in the corner of my bedroom and I decided to pick it back up after being asked 2 months ago by my wife to play at our wedding (a month ago). I was a bit rusty, so I found a local ukulele instructor who helped me practice "Lean on me", the song that I strummed and sang with my family on the day of our wedding.

Now that the wedding is over, I decided to continue learning the ukulele, taking weekly 1 on 1 lessons with the same instructor. In addition to these lessons, I've invested in reading some books on music theory (music theory[1] opened my eyes and ears up to understanding what I'm actually doing) but also the watching videos and practicing lessons from ukuleleunderground.com (I signed up for UU+).

Looking forward to learning the ukulele!

[1] My first introduction to music theory was through a YouTube channel called Michael New: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNB...rnvwcVRD5fS8aA
    Last edited by itsmemattchung; 09-10-2017 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Adding short video introduction of me playing ukulele

Howdy!

I used to live in Seattle (Ballard) and loved it. I'm in the UK now and even run a uke fest (northernuke.com).
    Every time I get back to Seattle, I take my uke to nerdy places like Golden Gardens or Gasworks Park to play.

I am also a MASSIVE fan of Dusty Strings in Fremont. They have such great instruments and strings. They've always hooked me up with what I need.

Anywho - WELCOME!
    great to see you here on UU.

Mary Agnes Krell
    american nerd in England

Welcome!

I used to live on Queen Anne hill and then on Phinney Ridge overlooking the lake. Still a bit homesick for Seattle. Great to have you in the forums!

Victor

Quote Originally Posted by maryagn3s View Post
    Howdy!

I used to live in Seattle (Ballard) and loved it. I'm in the UK now and even run a uke fest (northernuke.com).
    Every time I get back to Seattle, I take my uke to nerdy places like Golden Gardens or Gasworks Park to play.
    What a small world! Looks like you and I swapped places—just before moving to Seattle, I was living in London (New Malden), where my wife was born and raised. We'll be out there this Christmas so I'll check out your website; would be awesome to play some ukulele with others while I'm out there.

Quote Originally Posted by maryagn3s View Post
    Howdy!
    I am also a MASSIVE fan of Dusty Strings in Fremont. They have such great instruments and strings. They've always hooked me up with what I need.
    I've never heard of Dusty Strings but Fremont is only about a 10 minute drive from our house so I'll be sure to check them out since I'm looking for a ukulele shop to upgrade my Ukulele that I've had for the last couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by cyber3d View Post
    Welcome!

Still a bit homesick for Seattle.

Victor
    I definitely feel more at home, here in Seattle.

I checked your about me page and it looks like you are now living in Los Angeles; I used to work in Santa Monica and Sherman Oaks for many years. Hopefully the weather is cooling down back home.

Welcome aboard.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.
    Formerly known as uke1950.

Learning Ben E King's Stand by me by following the lesson's from ukuleleunderground.com UU+ website.

Here it is:

Cool! And your dogs like it too! Awesome!

Great ukulele story!
    I love Seattle, though I haven't visited in years.
    Welcome to the forum.
    Playing my Magic Fluke and grinning like a fool!

I was just in Seattle on vacation in July. A lovely place. We stumbled upon Dusty Strings after finding the Fremont Troll (which was also very cool).
    Check out Uncle Rod / STRUM
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

Thread Information