Season 291 - Drugs

Why stop at drugs? Why not go the whole hog?

This song crossed my mind a few days ago, so I guess it was fate that I try it. This one always amused me. When it rains it pours on the poor old stoner in this tune.

This song was written by Stuff Smith, but I'm more familiar with the Fats Waller version.

Last edited:
Last night, I Googled to check whether the lyric in "Dancing Barefoot" was "heroine" or "heroin". It was "heroine".

I think we will play that with the band tomorrow (it's our first practice night after the vacation), I might just record that ;).
And there is this song sung by Sinead O'Conner which was (co)written by the Edge and O'Conner, and is on his only Solo album I know of.
Maybe something for one of the Ladies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvKV4_9nV2M

Last edited:
I'm usually terrible about watching people's videos in the Seasons I'm not hosting. So when I've hosted, I've felt compelled to overcompensate by making long comments and going down rabbit holes researching the songs people play. This has led me to fall way behind in commenting, and not finish until weeks later. So this time around, I'm going to make shorter comments and just post the comments on the YouTube video page, and see if I can be more timely that way.

---------------------------------------------------------------

While watching videos, I remembered that the song "Cathedral" by Crosby, Stills & Nash was about Nash's visit to Winchester Cathedral while he was on an acid trip. "And I am hiiiiiiigh above the altar..."

Last edited:
Here's my first entry of the week. Hope you enjoy it. Recording outside was a mistake. Irma is making her way up this way, and my chord sheet kept blowing away. It was making me something of a basket case.

By the way,

PLEASE DON'T PLAY "PURPLE HAZE" THIS WEEK!!!

In the past, Jimi Hendrix's estate has not let folks play Hendrix covers on YouTube. It can count as one of your three strikes on YouTube toward them deleting your channel. So please don't risk it.

All my favourite drug songs have really subtle references so as not to make it obvious.

Hope this one by Queens of the Stone Age squeaks through.

There's a certain Mojo Nixon song that would be SOOOO much fun to do ...

I'm usually terrible about watching people's videos in the Seasons I'm not hosting. So when I've hosted, I've felt compelled to overcompensate by making long comments and going down rabbit holes researching the songs people play. This has led me to fall way behind in commenting, and not finish until weeks later. So this time around, I'm going to make shorter comments and just post the comments on the YouTube video page, and see if I can be more timely that way.

I remember my firsts couple hosting seasons where I felt the need to familiarize myself with new to me songs.......which was about every song that came in. I quickly realized that it was just fine to listen to the songs as if it didn't matter. I made long winded comments too. Now I've learned not to kill myself hosting and just go with the flow.

Making comments on YT only is just fine IMO Jim :)

What I don’t want to hear this week:

• Songs that aren’t about drugs, but the musician was on drugs when it was written. That would be way too easy. It would allow you just about any song from 1967 into the ‘80s.
lol!!!!!!!!!!!

good idea, we want you hosting, to be as much fun for you, as for us!

:bowdown: roxy music, "love is the drug"

P.S. this season has already proved very educational for me

i used to think............................ that he was singing................... catch that BUS

:confused:

:uhoh:

like this one i used to go to school on

p135636462-3.jpg

:anyone:

This might just squeak in under the Thornton Rule.

A few weeks ago I Googled a former classmate who bullied me and later turned to a life of crime. This time the search was tragic; I learned that he died of an overdose, after getting his life together. I felt badly about my schadenfreude--especially in light of how he went--and I wrote him a lullaby.

(I have another original song on the pipe that fits the theme a little better and will post that later in the week.)

P.S. this season has already proved very educational for me

i used to think............................ that he was singing................... catch that BUS

:confused:

:uhoh:

like this one i used to go to school on

:anyone:

In my original song "Indie Cred", I have the line:
When my life flashes before me will I want that one chance back
To have my scrotum pierced or maybe do a little smack?

My daughter just told me it was only halfway through college that she learned that "smack" referred to heroin. She thought it was a genre of music.

An old country song written by the great Dallas Frazier with drugs and--you guessed it!--an unhappy ending. Four-part harmony in the chorus, and I did something with the ukulele on this song that I've never done before.

Top Bottom