Season 291 - Drugs

Well, tardy me figured this song would have been done many times this week, but it looks like it isn't in the play list yet. Here is a one-take version of a wonderful Beatles song, if you ask me.

I wish I could tell you the lighting was an homage to Astrid's legendary Beatles pictures, but it's just the way it came out in my new place. Hope you all enjoy.

After quite some time, I found an opportunity to contribute something again. The song is from the 1979 Fischer-Z debut album "Word Salad", and I'm a little surpirsed it hasn't been done before. But then again, Fischer-Z weren't probablly too popular in the US.

Anyway it's a nice little song and I played it on my new Dupont Concert Uke, but looks like I was a little too casual with the volume adjustment in my iMovie... and of course, I messed up the numbers of the Seasons, but it is indeed intended for this one...

I could not have made this up.

I am in the process of moving out of my house, and I was about to move a closed plastic container. I did not know what was in it - probably had not been opened for at least a decade - so I decided to take a look before figuring out whether it would go in the garbage or storage. It turned out to be full of notes for a wide variety of projects - films and songs, among other things. And there was an envelope on top with the lyrics for the song below scribbled on them. And what could be more appropriate for this Season's theme?

And so, across a gap of many decades, I give you, my fellow Seasonistas, my first original song for the Seasons. I would ask that you like it, but maybe just get a chuckle would be enough.

Yeah! A jolly, candy-like button!

Will we succumb to the maddening urge to eradicate history???!!

:)

Sorry Jim, I'm not gonna make it into this excellent Season. Lots of good stuff this week! I have an original in the oven, but it's just gonna be done in time. I'll post it to the island when it is, tho

Will we succumb to the maddening urge to eradicate history???!!

:)

Sorry Jim, I'm not gonna make it into this excellent Season. Lots of good stuff this week! I have an original in the oven, but it's just gonna be done in time. I'll post it to the island when it is, tho

This reminds me, no one played "I got stoned and I missed it."
:smileybounce:

I keed, I keed! Sorry you couldn't make it, John.

It's not over quite yet. Only just got this one done in time. I had big plans for a whole bunch of songs this week, but life got in the way.

Also, I've finally got my new uke in vaguely playable shape, so this is its Seasons debut.

The first verse is below. I hope there are enough drug references in here.

Super size, large fries, Big Mac, Coca Cola
Go on man, pick your poison
Speed, weed, ecstasy, LSD
Man, it don't bother me cos we're all on something
Caffeine, cigarettes, alcohol
You know I'm clawing at the walls trying to get my fix
Prozac, ADD tablets, coke, smack
Now, you know I am turning tricks

Last edited:
Jim! Everybody!
I have been waiting for this theme for years. I am hating myself for not taking the time to work out the mother of all drug song medleys..man there is no shortage of material.
I even worked out a decent arrangement of the Talking Heads "Drugs" song, but still can't play the herky jerky riffs while vocalizing.
Oh well. I'll just have to settle for a contact high and take a few hits on the playlist.
Be cool and don't get burned, man
Peter

I've never done cocaine. But I sure have had some great times dancing to this amazing song by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five :p

At ridiculously long length, it’s time to put Season 291 to bed. I have no excuse. Before I got to the end of commenting on the videos, I went into a total mental block about commenting, and never finished. I watched them all at least once, though.

I want to thank everyone who took part in Season 291. I know some folks might have been uneasy with the drugs theme. But after six years, we’ve been repeating a lot of themes recently, and I thought this was an important one that we’d never done. It was nice to see some folks I hadn’t seen in the Seasons for a long time, such as We Tiger, the Ukelites, Silly Dave, MarkWo, and Thunderflea. And great to see that more folks come along and join in all the time. I just recommended the Seasons to a uke player two days ago.

I’m definitely not the most appropriate person to have hosted a drug theme. This past week, I bought a beer called “Smells Like a Safety Meeting IPA”. I thought the name came from a TV show or movie, like “The Office”. So I Googled the beer and found out that the brewery wanted to call the beer “Smells Like Weed”, but were forbidden by regulators. Turns out “safety meeting” is slang for going outside during a work break and having a joint. Did you know that? I didn’t.

Anyway, I used Random.org to choose three T-shirt winners of the 51 participants. When I hosted last winter, I couldn’t give away one of the shirts in two tries, so I’m paying that one forward. I’m giving a fourth shirt that was selected from just among the people who did videos that I failed to comment on. The winners are:

1. UkuleleLibrarian
2. greenie44
3. Tootler

and the uke4ia commenting failure award goes to:

4. thesillydave (if I can find him to tell him)

I will send you four a PM with the choices of shirt for the prize. Thank you all again.

Top Bottom