Season 291 - Drugs

It is debatable whether this song refers to sex or drugs, or both! I am inclined to believe that, bearing in mind Jim Morrison's life style and the very obvious drug content of the "B" side "The Crystal Ship" (already very ably done by Mr. Harmony Smurf), that The Doors would have been thinking of both when they wrote this song. (Played on a steel string concert uke Strumstick and a baritone uke ... with strange results!)

Last edited:
The Great Drugged-up American Songbook

Bit late in the day, but I've just discovered that Vancouver's 'Herb Museum' website has thirteen (13!) pages devoted to Music On Drugs, almost all tunes from the 20s, 30s & 40s.
Who knew that "spinach" was a euphemism for "weed"? Not this cat, miaow, miaow!
:smileybounce:

yup. that is why popeye sucked the spinich in through his pipe to get super powers!

Some Friday musing:

I bought some shoes from a drug dealer.

I dunno what he laced them with... but I was tripping for days!

Here is my entry for this week:

I think it is one of my longest songs yet!

291/2

This one got banned on several stations because of its drug links. The band denied it at the time but later admitted that the lyrics were partly inspired by drugs use.

I may not manage a third.

From the Urban Dictionary:

Walking Stick - Injection drug users slang for "works" or "kit", a syringe loaded w/ the users drug of choice.
Can you bring me a walking stick? Need a little help.

PS: A Fluke is lurking in the background

I was having a drink with my mate Glenn from Echobelly earlier this evening. He tell's me their song 'Iris Art' is drug-related. Anyone fancy taking it on?

There is some conjecture about this one being about drugs or someone named Mary Jane. I think it could be both.

Last edited:
I was having a drink with my mate Glenn from Echobelly earlier this evening. He tell's me their song 'Iris Art' is drug-related. Anyone fancy taking it on?

I might try it tomorrow. "Lustra" is my favorite album by them. I hadn't made the drug connection with "Iris Art", but the chorus IS "I'm up on a high, catch me if you fall."

Edit: I just listened to their song "Insomniac". It has a line "Whatever turns you on, you put it up your nose, dear".

Last edited:
My good friend from Dallas, Texas was just here in Atlanta for The Atlanta Beltline Lantern
Parade (Lanternlele) and surprised me by giving me one of her baritone
Ukuleles! Here's my first go at it!

I feel there should be a "Baddum Tish!" drum sound effect we can put on posts like this :D

rimshot-1.jpg

Many Lowell George-written songs had drug or alcohol references. Go figure.

Here's one that Robert Palmer improved (IMO), and Sam Bush absolutely shreds on his mandolin.

Many Lowell George-written songs had drug or alcohol references. Go figure.

Here's one that Robert Palmer improved (IMO), and Sam Bush absolutely shreds on his mandolin.

"There's whiskey and bad cocaine..." "And if you give me weed, whites, and wine..." I'm especially surprised that no one's done "Don't Bogart That Joint" this week. George didn't write that one, but Little Feat covered it -- and it's a song that's short and seems easy to do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom