Season 291 - Drugs

Gonna go all the way back to 1936 for this one. Little Stuff Smith tune most know by the Fats Waller version. Randy beat me to it but we can never have enough of this old gem. Also of interest is the Wayne Hancock version..a real beaut there.

Last edited:
Had this up on Saturday afternoon for an hour or so before it got inadvertently deleted, apologies to the dozen folks who watched it. I've redone a few parts so it is sort of newly recorded today.
Anyway, Learning To Fly may or may not be about drugs, who knows.

here's my version of my mate's version of Taj Mahal's version of "Ain't Nobody's Business"

Here's a paoriginal freshly penned for your week Jim...

The real crime is the simplistic moralising way drugs issues are continued to be dealt with.

I do note that some countries and even some states of the US have started to show some common sense on some drugs ...

Prohibition NEVER works.

In my original song "Indie Cred", I have the line:
When my life flashes before me will I want that one chance back
To have my scrotum pierced or maybe do a little smack?

My daughter just told me it was only halfway through college that she learned that "smack" referred to heroin. She thought it was a genre of music.
to be fair, it does sound like a really cool music genre!

THE VERVE The drugs don't work.
All this talk of getting old It's getting me down my love
Like a cat in a bag, waiting to drown This time I'm comin' down
And I hope you're thinking of me As you lay down on your side
Now the drugs don't work They just make you worse
But I know I'll see your face again
But I know I'm on a losing streak Cause I passed down my old street
And if you wanna show, just let me know and I'll sing in your ear again
Cause baby, ooh, if heaven calls, I'm coming, too
Just like you said, you leave my life, I'm better off dead
All this talk of getting old It's getting me down my love
Like a cat in a bag, waiting to drown This time I'm comin' down

Last edited:
I didn't manage to get one in last week, and I may not get one in this week, but if anyone is going to go with Jim's song suggestion below, it would be a shame to leave out the phrase "Just say no to rugs" :)

SEASON 291 : Drugs

... here’s a first line any of you J.J. Cale fans is welcome to expand on: “If you want to grow hair, on a head that is bare, Rogaine”.

PLAYLIST

Entry No. 1, a car tune. I also recorded a second one in the car, but the delightfully rambunctious Flea drowned out my voice. (Why is this a problem, you may ask ... ) So I'll redo that.

So yes, let me introduce the new Koa Soprano Flea!

Hi Jim! Have always loved this song and wanted to do it for ages. (By the evidence, I should really have waited "ages" longer before attempting it; but it was fun and indisputably about drugs. I DO apologise for the particularly dodgy ending ... I was using a pick, which I don't usually, and it was about to fly out of my hand! I would have re-recorded, but I didn't have time!) Well, with an introduction like that, how can anyone resist????

According to Wikipedia (That oh so reliable fount of all knowledge :rofl: [1])
The band claimed that the song's lyrics were akin to an aural Rorschach test and that people only heard in it what they wanted to hear, although this did not prevent persistent allegations that the lyrics alluded to heroin.

And...

There has been much controversy surrounding the lyrics. In his book The Stranglers Song By Song (2001), Hugh Cornwell states "'Golden Brown' works on two levels. It's about heroin and also about a girl." Essentially the lyrics describe how "both provided me with pleasurable times."

Anyway it's a really good song. A few less than clean chord changes but I wanted to get it done tonight so I'll have to live with it.

1. Seriously, Wikipedia is pretty accurate most of the time and it really only falls down with controversial items

I don't suppose this one 100% fits the theme, but I just love the the lyrics - it is Cole Porter after all - and at least one drug gets a mention. I've been meaning to try this one for a while.

SOTU 291 - Drugs: "HURT" (Trent Reznor 1994) - by ddanner

Been wanting to do this song ever since I heard it done by Johnny Cash, and then by SOTU's own, pabrizzer, which if you have not yet heard you really should!

Here is my attempt:

We had a surprise holiday, today because of, now tropical storm, Irma. With the spare time, I attempted this Saves the Day song that has a little bit of recreational drug use in it. It's probably (ok definitely) out of my vocal range, but I gave it a shot. Also, there was a baby crawling around, and you may see/hear some evidence of said baby, including a screw up on my part near the end.

Greetings,

Doing a little "Mother's Little Helper" from the Stones. I sound flat, but it's the best I can do until this dang cold goes away.

Ciao

Here's one Hank III did. I had a request to do some bluegrass, so this may qualify. This was my 2nd recorded take.

One of the Stones' best, IMO. At least one direct and many indirect drug refs here. Plus a Kentucky Derby mention.

Top Bottom