Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 291 - Drugs

I'd quite forgotten but Gina's Novocaine song reminded me of this one. This is such an awesome song, from the mid 90's I think, the Album, which I have somewhere and must dig out again, was Beautiful Freak. This is my last for this season. Now I can concentrate and getting my season ready for next week!

I Remember that concert at the Roskilde Festival 2001 in Denmark, when I first encountered the band called The Asylum Street Spankers.
    I liked their music, and since they had recently published a drug-themed album "Spanker Madness" - that was the ones they were selling at the show, and hence I bought a copy and listened to it a lot.
    When I saw this weeks theme I immediately though of doing something from that album. If you look at the "Songs stuck in my head" link in the opening post, you will find that the radio show opens with the song "Beer" from the very same album.
    I went for this song, which in the original version was very pleasant to listen to.

Blade of grass

I would have liked to work a little more on a proper 12 bar intro and interlude, but I also wanted to get it done tonight, so it is what it is.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

I'm going to post a couple of videos for songs I've liked that fit the theme. Maybe someone will get an idea for a song to do. Maybe not. This one was from a band called They Eat Their Own in 1990. I got the album because I liked the song so much, and I didn't like a single other song on it. I saw them live, leading in for someone like the Replacements, and didn't like them live, either. But somehow they came up with this one perfect song.

Uke can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find uke get what you need!

YouTube: www.youtube.com/uke4ia

Joan Osborne said this song was inspired by a woman with a baby she would see selling drugs from out her New York City window.

Uke can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find uke get what you need!

The band XTC put out a couple of records under the name The Dukes of Stratosphear that were tributes to psychedelic music. This song was a tribute to the Byrds.

Quote Originally Posted by uke4ia View Post
    The band XTC put out a couple of records under the name The Dukes of Stratosphear that were tributes to psychedelic music. This song was a tribute to the Byrds.
    i didn't know that! just got it playing now - it's great!

I know Wim mentioned that he might do this song as well. I hope you do Wim. I love this song and couldn't help throwing in my hat. This is another very rare song that I can just pick up the uke and play, simply because I know the words and chords by heart. I played this way back in season 6. Hopefully I've improved slightly since then. This is a good example of a song which I enjoy so much when I run through it a few times then I turn on the camera and it's more of a struggle.

I love this Transatlantic session video of St Teresa.
    All the transatlanic session vids are worth a look.

In 1967, the comedy team of Peter Cook and Dudley Moore wrote this pastiche of the new psychedelic genre. In the 1970s, the song appeared on many Beatles "bootleg" albums in the mistaken belief that it was an unpublished Beatles song.

Randy - Harry122
    "Whether or not you can ever become great at something, you can always become better at it." - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Hi there! A song from the 30ties, but we think it is still fresh!

Thread Information