Anyone Want My LMII Fret Slotting System?

I have one of these and it works great.
However, I feel like the kerf on my blade is too thin.
I really struggle getting standard frets into the slots and almost always have to widen them with another saw blade.

That's not surprising. A lot depends upon the tang and the wood. I usually use StewMac 764 and 147. They are more likely to work well with the LMII saw in Indian RW. In ebony, they can be too tight using the LMII saw. Relieving the top of the slot with a triangle file can help as can widening the slot with a slightly wider saw. Or trim the barbs on the fret tangs.

That's not surprising. A lot depends upon the tang and the wood. I usually use StewMac 764 and 147. They are more likely to work well with the LMII saw in Indian RW. In ebony, they can be too tight using the LMII saw. Relieving the top of the slot with a triangle file can help as can widening the slot with a slightly wider saw. Or trim the barbs on the fret tangs.

That's all good advice, thanks! I've been looking for fretwire with a thinner tang, but they're all pretty much the same. I'll look at the StewMac stuff and see if it's thinner than what I use.

Top Bottom