Builders List

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a segment of people out there who would be considered luthiers, but not necessarily by trade. Since this is an activity driven by their passion and not by their mortgage, the instruments are generally more affordable. An example of this is SIMSCal. But you may not get your wish of ukulele only.

The earlier question about the definition of custom is valid as some builders will build to whatever a customer wants and some are more semi-custom where they will offer different woods and some variation in design, but may be less likely to go full custom with all the bells and whistles that a customer might want. I would think affordable is conducive to semi-custom.

John

Original post has been changed to include any and all good builders...

Thanks

Black Bear Ukuleles.
Duane Heilman.
Yakima, WA

Thanks...

Griffin Ukulele
Bellingham, WA
http://www.griffinukuleles.com/

Thanks

Last edited:
Small time is great, as long as they're Ukulele only builders we can add to this list.

I do not understand your infatuation with ukulele only builders, especially when the luthier is someone who is not in the business, but doing it for their own enjoyment and pride in workmanship after work, weekends, or whenever.

I have 2 tenor ukuleles from Hawaii made by someone who just loves to make them. He is not a custom builder as he builds what he likes. I got the first one 10 years ago. I don't know if he is still making any longer, but he used to take a month to build one.

There is a retired tile setter in the San Diego area that has been making ukuleles for years out of his garage, pretty reasonable for solid wood. Has some standard designs, but will modify and use whatever wood a customer wants. But alas, he has made other stringed instruments over the years so I guess his experience making hundreds of ukuleles still does not make him suitable.

I don't particularly care if you do, but you can check out the pictures of my Flamin' Uke in my profile. First ukulele John made; he has made a number of guitars. He is a SIMSCal member, but he has a day job and it is not as a luthier. I paid more than your $1000 threshold but not even close to what an established for profit ukulele luthier would charge.

While I can't support the claim, I imagine you would probably be hard pressed to find any ukulele luthier who has never made any other stringed instrument at any point in his or her life.

John

Last edited:
70sSanO it's not about any infatuation, and being in the business or not isn't a problem, it's simply a list of people who only make ukuleles, that's all...

Infatuation? Strange Obsession? What you may want to think about is how useful your list will be. It's your list of course, but if your purpose in putting it together is to help folks out, just be aware that that sort of limitation is not very useful. Not as bad as, for example making a list of folks that only build Ukuleles with, let's say oval sound holes, but think about it.

But if you're going to stick with it, then you'll need to take Dave Talsma & Loprinzi off your list. They also make guitars.

Last edited:
I've owned and am a fan of both LoPrinzi and MP. LoPrinzi is a production shop, not really a custom shop. They also do guitars, if you're sticking with your original requirement of only ukes, as does MP. It's your list, but not sure it would matter if somebody made guitars as well.

I've owned and am a fan of both LoPrinzi and MP. LoPrinzi is a production shop, not really a custom shop. They also do guitars, if you're sticking with your original requirement of only ukes, as does MP. It's your list, but not sure it would matter if somebody made guitars as well.

Thanks

Last edited:
This list is helpful, thanks AlohaKine!

Uh, Donna does do custom orders, although they may not be common. Several TBUS members have one-off ukes from her. I know of at least 3 of them that are truly one of a kind, right here in town. She has told me she will build whatever I want.

Uh, Donna does do custom orders, although they may not be common. Several TBUS members have one-off ukes from her. I know of at least 3 of them that are truly one of a kind, right here in town. She has told me she will build whatever I want.

Understood, but they are very rare and she doesn't indicate on her website that she even does customs. I'm a fan of her work, but her focus is not on customs.

I don't see the need to make this xenophobic list a sticky on UU. It excludes far too many ukulele makers to be seen as useful for a serious ukulele collector or player. The author only joined UU in September 2017, a major failing of the list is the exclusion of a lot of UU members who have been members for many years before September 2017 and who have contributed a lot UU and who make excellent musical instruments. It also excludes some great makers who work in Europe, Asia, and Australasia.
While some of the long term members who have been excluded by silly rules may be offended by the exclusion, I don't have a problem with the thread, it is something many collectors do. Make a list of nearby makers, and find one to order your new uke from. A good take away for all UU members is to have a go at identifying all your local makers, where ever you live. Many will only be found by word of mouth and wont really want to see their name in lights on a board like UU, they will have plenty of work and wont need a newbie annoying them with questions unless there is a serious intent to buy.
However, the step of providing free advertising to such a confined exclusive group as a sticky on UU is really something that does not do a lot for the international membership of UU when they are looking for a maker. A maker sticky on UU needs to have much wider rules so that all members, can see a wide range of options when they are looking for a custom uke. It is not hard for UU members to narrow down the list themselves, most really don't need to be told how to look at a list of makers and work out which ones work in the USA.
And for the makers who are UU members, if you feel left out, do something (positive) about it. If other UU members don't seem to realise that you exist when they are buying a new ukulele, UU has some rules which help out and allow some commercial activities to help you become better known if you want to be. You can't expect to hide in the luthiers lounge and connect with potential buyers if you want to sell product. Of course many UU member makers are not into hyped up sales and marketing plans, they just join to get some knowledge and encouragement, which is fine, they probably would not want to be on a list like the one in the OP. However, if you do want to be on such a list, whether it is posted or just made at home by a potential customer, you really do need to have a sales and marketing plan which targets the market that is following the OP. You wont sell anything by hoping someone is going to find you by ESP. Selling is not easy, it requires active work and planning, if you want to sell you need to do the work and planning.

Thanks

Last edited:
Alohakine,

What you don't see is what Bill not only alluded to, but pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Unknowingly, hopefully, you've been very successful at creating a post that excludes most, if not ALL, of the builders who participate on this forum.

If I were to describe this thread in one word, resoundingly, its "exclusion".

I agree with you Aaron...this is a strange thread IMO...the threads that were written up years ago were builders that UU members knew first hand...buy ordering ukes or playing them..
and many of the builders requested that they be included on the original thread.....so they did visit the UU a few times if not more
what we are getting now are folks who are surfing the internet and adding builders to the thread.....I doubt if anyone owns many of the ukes and have a clue about build quality and tone/sound....so all guess work....:)

but this is the new UU...and the world changes.....:)..:)

my 2 cents

wow this from 2009...
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?12834-A-Partial-List-of-Custom-Builders

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom