Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ukulele Builders List

Quote Originally Posted by Kekani View Post
    Alohakine,

What you don't see is what Bill not only alluded to, but pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Unknowingly, hopefully, you've been very successful at creating a post that excludes most, if not ALL, of the builders who participate on this forum.

If I were to describe this thread in one word, resoundingly, its "exclusion".

I agree with you Aaron...this is a strange thread IMO...the threads that were written up years ago were builders that UU members knew first hand...buy ordering ukes or playing them..
    and many of the builders requested that they be included on the original thread.....so they did visit the UU a few times if not more
    what we are getting now are folks who are surfing the internet and adding builders to the thread.....I doubt if anyone owns many of the ukes and have a clue about build quality and tone/sound....so all guess work....

but this is the new UU...and the world changes.......

my 2 cents

wow this from 2009...
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...ustom-Builders
    Last edited by hawaii 50; 09-18-2017 at 10:37 PM.
    Kanile'a K-2 Concert,Ko'Aloha Super Concert,Maui Music 1998 Koa Tenor,Compass Rose Koa Tenor,Graziano Koa Tenor,Kamaka HF3-S,Moore Bettah Milo/Sitka Spruce Tenor,DeVine mother of curl Koa/Engleman Spruce Tenor,Ko'olau Indo Rosewood/Sinker Redwood Tenor,Washburn Lyon and Healy 1936 Bell shaped soprano,Lfdm Bastogne Walnut/Carpathian Spruce Tenor,Rollo Scheurenbrand African Blackwood/Adirondack Spruce Tenor

It is good to see a sensible response to constructive comments.
    UU is a beacon for ukulele players across the planet, even though the membership is a microcosm of the ukulele world. People type in "ukulele" and search for ukuleles to buy. This is a commercial aspect of UU. The makers enjoy making ukuleles, but it is a business to many of them. They make a product to sell as a business. They mostly do have a marketing plan and sometimes have to spend a lot of money to get exposure. Getting their name, or worse their competitor's name popping on google searches, is a big deal, it can have a large impact on the success of their business. Also some of them have a marketing plan which restricts internet advertising because they get tired of uneducated newbies taking up time with rookie questions without buying a product or respecting the time spent answering their questions. Another negative effect from the internet happens when a lone poster complains and a viral dose of negative exposure is poured out onto the maker's business, some makers keep right away from the internet for this very reason.
    I have found that when you buy a uke off someone, the best thing is to let them work their own marketing plan. If you want to help their business, let them run their own advertising campaigns. If they want a testimonial they usually have a place on their website for one, some don't want testimonials and there is no place to put them on the website. If they want exposure on UU, they can do that themselves, and then they can arrange it in a way that fits in with their marketing plan. Usually they are good enough that they don't need testimonials or UU posts, they have enough orders to keep their business going from word of mouth contacts and other sources.
    Also I have found that the best way to find a maker for your new custom uke is to work some word of mouth. Almost every one will eventually think about buying a custom uke. So don't wait until the day you win the lottery to look up the makers that can make you a custom uke. Get out of the house today and start meeting some ukulele friends and talking about local makers and international makers and production makers, so you already have a list happening. If you live in a remote place it will take a bit more effort. I live in the most isolated city on the planet, check out the Nullabor Plain on Google Maps to see how isolated Perth is from the rest of Australian and the planet. When you can afford it, indulge your UAS and share your buying experience with your ukulele friends so they can make their own lists.
    If the list on the OP is going to persist, I am not sure how to deal with the loyal UU makers who have been helping us all out for years. I think the best thing is to ask them, and it seems that there is a definite negative sentiment about the list from the UU member makers. So perhaps the list needs to go back to being AlohaKine's personal unpublished list, and put in a link to the old posts which already list a number of makers? Those who want to see AlohaKine's personal list can send a PM to ask for it. Maybe the UU owners could check out the commercial power and aspects of the old list and consider an updating process to account for market changes since it was started. There does seem to be a demand for the information.
    I am not a moderator or a person of authority for UU, I just type out my thoughts and opinions. So my thoughts and opinions should not be seen as directives or any sort of authoritative thing from UU, the moderators will make the authoritative directives and such, not me. If people want to agree or disagree with me that is up to them, whether they have made 1 post or 4000 posts.

Original post has been changed to include any and all good builders...
    Last edited by AlohaKine; 09-19-2017 at 06:47 PM.
    Kanile'a Kuuipo - Tenor - (For Sale)
    Lanikai LU-21C - Concert

This list is strange since there already is one that was stated a while back...why not ask the Moderators to add new builders to the original post...makes no sense to start another thread with the same builders repeated on it.....but maybe this just me...

again the original list has many builders that are UU members and the builders were recommended by members who played/saw the builders work....not just surfing the internet then adding to your list....

add the builders to this list
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...ustom-Builders
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...1-808-Builders
    Last edited by hawaii 50; 09-19-2017 at 05:21 PM.
    Kanile'a K-2 Concert,Ko'Aloha Super Concert,Maui Music 1998 Koa Tenor,Compass Rose Koa Tenor,Graziano Koa Tenor,Kamaka HF3-S,Moore Bettah Milo/Sitka Spruce Tenor,DeVine mother of curl Koa/Engleman Spruce Tenor,Ko'olau Indo Rosewood/Sinker Redwood Tenor,Washburn Lyon and Healy 1936 Bell shaped soprano,Lfdm Bastogne Walnut/Carpathian Spruce Tenor,Rollo Scheurenbrand African Blackwood/Adirondack Spruce Tenor

Spruce House is/was in Oregon (Al McWhorter). A couple of other very small builders are Ebi Ukuleles and Juniper Ukuleles, though I have only seen photos of their work and not played any of their instruments ( output to date probably low to mid 30's)

AlohaKine

maybe you should make yourself available as a Moderator..that way you can update threads and monitor the site......seems like you have the time and represent the newer UU members.....

UPDATE!

Original post has been changed to include any and all good builders...
    Kanile'a Kuuipo - Tenor - (For Sale)
    Lanikai LU-21C - Concert

Is Mya-Moe still around?
    Rob Uker
    RIGuitars & Ukuleles
    One of a kind handmade instruments
    https://m.facebook.com/RIGuitars/

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Uker View Post
    Is Mya-Moe still around?
    Yes, but winding down, and their build schedule is full.
    Current Stable:
    -Ohana TKS-15E Tenor - Eb cuatro
    -Iriguchi Keystone Tenor "Weeble" - Bb, SC SMU
    -Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE, steel string
    -KPK pineapple SLN - GCEA
    -Cocobolo 16" SC#1 - gCEA, SC SLMU
    -Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    -Imua iET - Bb, M600
    -Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    -Rogue bari
    Once upon a time:
    -RISA Concert Stick