Thread: Music - Mahogany Tenor Ukulele Review

Default Music - Mahogany Tenor Ukulele Review

I had ordered this Mahogany Tenor for myself, around a month ago, so it's taken a little while for it's much anticipated arrival.
    I had been looking at it previously, on eBay, while searching for some new Ukes for myself, and at that early time I was very skeptical, so I decided against it, there's plenty of others to look through, and so I missed the opportunity as it turned out they sold out soon afterward.
    So, this time around when I saw them again, I took another look, and researched whatever I could find on this model, I couldn't find much, but it was sufficient for me to decide it could well be worth getting one for myself, one review which read "Good Quality Uke, Nice to Play", Ok it's not much for me to go on but it did have 5 stars, that's a good start. Also it seems this is a Chen Sheng Ukulele (so it seems though I'm uncertain), although I have no idea what or who the name actually refers to so I'll simply refer to it as the "Music" brand, but that's about all I could find regarding relevant information, other than the original advertisement which I was a bit skeptical about anyway although it was kind of ok.

Attachment 102952Attachment 102953Attachment 102954
    Music - Mahogany Tenor 003.jpg

Skip forward to now, and I now have this Uke, it's mine.
    It's a Solid Mahogany Tenor Ukulele, brand name "Music", it's the same brand as the Rosewood Concert Uke I recently got also. There's no show regarding the brand or logo anywhere on this particular Uke which I've received, not on the headstock and no sticker inside, but I know the brand prior to purchasing it of course.

It's Mahogany, a beautiful Honey coloured Mahogany (Yum, I like Honey), Straight Grained, nicely matched Soundboard, with nicely matched back and sides also, and I like it's appearance in general as a Timber it's looking like a decent quality, at least in my humble opinion.

It's got Binding on front and Rear, an attractive looking Tortoise-Shell style binding, and the Soundhole Rosette is also the same styling, and I think it all contrasts in a pleasant manner with the Mahogany, as well as having it's own little array of colours and patterns to admire at close viewing.
    It also has a single White Pin-Stripe around the circumference of the Soundboard with the Binding.

The Neck is made of Okoume, it looks good actually, and like the other Ukes I've got with Okoume Necks it feels good to use while playing, at least I think so. It's well made, comfortable in use, and provides a good balance in the overall weight of the instrument.

The Headstock also has a Mahogany Veneer on the face, matching the Body, and on mine there's No markings showing the Logo or Brand at all, which surprised me. But it's a good Headstock nonetheless.

It's finished with a Clear Satin or Low Sheen Coating, it's seemingly only a light finish but it's finished nicely and evenly.

The Machine Heads are Chrome, Closed Geared Type, with no brand but they are the same as the others which were on the Rosewood Laminate model also, and they work well and seem decent, I wouldn't expect expensive hardware on a Uke at this Cost, though it's definitely good enough anyway.

Fretboard is Rosewood, with 19 Frets in total, and the Neck/Body Joint is at the 14th Fret.
    Dot Fret Markers on the Fretboard, although None on the side of the Fretboard/Neck.

Bridge is Rosewood, and it's the type where you simply tie a knot in the end of the Strings and slip them into place into the appropriate Slot.

Saddle seems to be Plastic, and I'm not sure about the Nut it's not so obvious to me at this stage, it could be plastic or bone, unsure.
    I'll be making changes to both Saddle and Nut, but that's where it's at for now, as is.

Nut Width, I measured at 33 mm, same as the Lam Rosewood Concert model I got recently also, so the Neck is on the Narrow Side, and while it's nice to play for myself, if you like a Wider Neck it won't be in your favour.

The Uke came loaded with Aquila Nylgut Strings.

Action is ok straight out the box, it's playable, although I'll be lowering it when I change the Nut and Saddle anyway.

It appears this model is also available in Concert Scale ...

Overall, it's a good Uke, it's typically got pleasant Warm Tones as one might expect with a Mahogany Tenor Uke.
    I wouldn't say it's Loud but it's certainly got sufficient Volume for playing, good Responsiveness and a nice Resonance, which in combination with the pleasant Tones make it really quite nice to play.
    I've tried Fingerpicking and Strumming or Combined and it works well in each style of playing, which is what I was hoping for so I'm well pleased with it in that regard.
    It's comfortable to hold, and it feels fairly light yet it seems well constructed and sturdy. It is Well Balanced, and generally seems to be designed and built to be a good quality Uke.
    I checked it over thoroughly, and it's definitely seeming to be well made.

I do check my instruments thoroughly, and admittedly after several checks, I found what seems to be a Scrape Mark on the bottom side edge of the Body, barely noticeable but I found it nonetheless.
    And then secondly and more importantly I noticed a small gap under one corner of the Bridge where the Bridge had not stuck to the Soundboard properly, so I fixed that in less than five minutes with some Wood Glue and a F-Clamp left in place for several hours, and now it's great, it's tuned and I've been playing it, no problems at all, it was a minor problem and thankfully easy to fix. It was the only faults I found, and otherwise it's a very nice instrument. There's no problem with the Bridge any longer, so basically the only fault is the slight scrape mark on the bottom side edge of the body which is barely noticeable.
    To be honest, I think it's always some element of risk in purchasing an instrument with an unfamiliar brand, and no descriptive reviews available, and really I consider it's my good fortune to find only a couple of minor faults, there's nothing that will have impact on playability in the longer term, so I can live with the minor scrape indentation.

In general, I'm well pleased with this Mahogany Tenor Uke as one of my personal instruments. For now I'll keep this Mahogany Tenor with Re-entrant Tuning, and my Mojo Mahogany Tenor is strung with Low G Tuning.

Ok, so the COST ?!!

Well, personally I don't mind having to do some minor work on this instrument, as it cost me only $43 (Au) , for a good Uke with a couple of minor flaws, I think it's fantastic value for a Mahogany Tenor Uke under at $50 (Au).
    It will cost me a little extra for a new Nut and Saddle, so cost will be around $50 total for me.

Would I recommend it ?

I really appreciate this Uke for myself personally, I was able to take some chance for myself and I think it is worth every bit, for myself personally. I'm familiar with doing my own basic maintenance, so I make that choice for myself and take it into consideration when making such a purchase.
    I would honestly say, it is a choice that needs to be made by each individual depending on their willingness to purchase a Ukulele online with an unfamiliar brand, at a low cost, and imported overseas from China over a period of several weeks, I wouldn't want to make any such decision for anyone other than myself.
    I will say I'm personally very pleased with mine and have no regrets, I think it's gonna be one of my favourite alongside my Mojo Mahogany Tenor as well as my other favurites I really like it.
    I think at this stage I'm happy to provide the Review on this Ukulele and hope that is sufficient.

I've also done a Video Review, which includes a Playing Demonstration, as well as a general overview of the Uke's Characteristics.
    It can be viewed and listened to on my UkeBirdsRGo YouTube Channel Link Below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSwIP2wWW7Q

As this is my last Uke, I hope you won't be seeing any more reviews from me, although I might get around to doing a couple more videos for some past reviews, so feel free to check out the videos on my UkeBirdsRGo Youtube Channel any time
    Cheers ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dean Beaver; 09-12-2017 at 03:52 PM.

There's no such thing as a last uke is there Dean?

I've enjoyed reading your takes on things myself. Thanks.
    4 Strings made of nylon, always put a smile on, anybody's face who's feeling blue....

The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Martin S1, Fluke, Flea, Kiwaya KTS-5, Pono MHD Pro Classic

Quote Originally Posted by bazmaz View Post
    There's no such thing as a last uke is there Dean?

I've enjoyed reading your takes on things myself. Thanks.
    Well, I'm hoping not to buy any more Ukes now, so it's the last Uke in my current list at least .. I don't think I have room for any more

Thanks BazMaz, I'm glad you enjoy it I'll still be keeping a check on the forum anyway, so I'm sure it's not the last you'll see of me yet ...

I read your Mahogany Soprano Review recently, it looks similar in styling, good review on your behalf of course, and I think from what I've seen it's going to be an interesting year ahead for Ukes, there's certainly a lot coming out of the woodwork.
    Last edited by Dean Beaver; 09-10-2017 at 08:41 AM.

The Mystery Uke, lol, well I will say one thing, the tone on the video you put up sounds really nice.

Congrats!

By the way on a side note of inexpensive overseas Ukes, have you ever heard of Enya?

http://www.enyamusical.com/
    Lanikai LU-21C - Concert

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaKine View Post
    The Mystery Uke, lol, well I will say one thing, the tone on the video you put up sounds really nice.

Congrats!

By the way on a side note of inexpensive overseas Ukes, have you ever heard of Enya?

http://www.enyamusical.com/
    Yes it is a bit on the mysterious side Alohakine.
    I suppose in due time more will be revealed concerning these Ukes, which is where a review in a discussion forum will be useful of course.

I have heard of Enya, I'm a little bit familiar as I was looking at one of their Ukes with interest for some time. You're probably aware of the affiliation between Enya and the Kaka brand, well I had actually purchased one of the Kaka Laminate Mahogany Tenors earlier in the year for a gift, and it's actually fairly similar to this one except it's a laminate and without the tortoise-shell binding, but anyway I first acquired my taste for a Mahogany Tenor while playing around with that Kaka Uke just earlier this year, and I think they are also good Ukes from what I can tell, but mine's better lol, of course.

Thanks for the feedback
    Last edited by Dean Beaver; 09-10-2017 at 04:45 PM.

Thread Information