Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting accident

Default Interesting accident

I haven't built a uke in quite a while. So, I had a piece of wood thicknessed for sides that I had lying around and I decided to practice with it and make sure that my new bending form worked right.

I cut it into 2 lengths and put them into my bender, 1 piece at a time.
    The second piece came out just perfect, but I wasn't paying attention on my first piece and let it go about 150 degrees hotter than I would normally let it go. I only noticed when my shop suddenly got hazy and the whole place filled with the scent of burning wood!

In a panic, I turned everything off, unplugged the heating blanket, and let it all cool down. In the end, no damage was done to anything. The clamps on the Waldron bender got a bit scorched, as well as the edges of my newly designed bending form, but it was all very, very minor.

However, the biggest surprise was how the bent side turned out. It looks gorgeous! If I had a way to control this effect, I might even use it for an entire uke. If I tried duplicating this with an oven, I wonder if I would do it before or after I bent the wood?

Anyways, here is some pics of the two pieces side by side. Keep in mind that they were both from the same piece of wood!

IMG_0511.jpg

IMG_0512.jpg

I know Timbuck has experimented with baking wood prior to use, e.g. for fretboards. I'm not a luthier so I have no idea about the long term effects of this practice, but seems like it would really mess with the moisture content if nothing else.
    Current Stable:
    -Ohana TKS-15E Tenor - Eb cuatro
    -Iriguchi Keystone Tenor "Weeble" - Bb, SC SMU
    -Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE, steel string
    -KPK pineapple SLN - GCEA
    -Cocobolo 16" SC#1 - gCEA, SC SLMU
    -Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    -Imua iET - Bb, M600
    -Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    -Rogue bari
    Once upon a time:
    -RISA Concert Stick
    -Bruko sop. custom #6
    -Lanikai lam hog bari
    -Kala SLNG
    -Bruko bari
    -Gold Tone BUT

Jim's Blog

That's a "feature" that you can charge more for. Tell the customer that only one side was cooked to enhance the sustain <insert alternative BS lie>
    ... Or just break out the tin of dark stain and deny everything...

Put it together as is, looks cool, or hot if you prefer.
    Kind Regards
    Dennis

dpophotography@yahoo.co.nz
    Southern Cross banjo ukes
    New Zealand

Ha! These were just scrap pieces for testing. But I think it would be cool to make a uke with drastically different colors of wood. You could mismatch the sides, like I did above, and also the book matching of the tops, bottoms, and headstock veneer!

You can buy 'torrified' maple like this.

I think that side was torturefied
    My Real name is Terry Harris

Following timbucks tips I tried cooking pine like this for Petes 4x2 challenge. It works great but I doubt it's be fun to bend after

The Vikings used torrefied wood because it absorbs less moisture so size and shape are more likely to remain consistent after it has been sawed and planed. In other words it’s stronger and more stable as well as being lighter, which means it’s equally well suited to shipbuilding, wooden flooring and guitar making.

Guitar manufacturers such as Rickenbacker have long been using heat-treated timber for this very reason – while making no claims of tonal superiority. In recent years, Gibson has utilised torrefied maple for some fingerboards as an alternative to rosewood.
    Read more about it here
    http://www.theguitarmagazine.com/fea...-torrefaction/
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000

Torrefied wood still needs to be humidified- ALL wood absorbs/ releases moisture

Thread Information