Looking For Tuner That Doesn't Buzz/Rattle

Larry U

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I currently have four different clip-on tuners and I'm not happy with any of them. Each one of them has developed problems, mostly with rattling/buzzing internal components that make them impossible to leave on the ukulele while playing.

I have one Snark Ukulele Tuner that has snapped at the ball joint and is currently held together with glue, but now I can't move the head. I have two different D'Addario tuners that rattle like crazy, and one Reverb.com LT-21 that also buzzes.

Has anyone found a reasonable priced clip-on tuner that either doesn't fall apart or makes me sound like I'm playing a duet with a set of maracas? :confused:

Did you post about this before? I have maybe ten D'Addario Planet Waves micro tuners, and four of the D'Addario flip ups, none buzz at all. I've noticed at my uke group that some of their ukes have a thin headstock so their tuners don't grip very well. Could that be the issue?

First time I think I brought this up. The two worst buzzers are the D'addarios (a flip-up and a mini). If I shake them, I can hear something rattling inside the case, so I know it's not a matter of a loose grip on the uke.

How can a Snark tuner break while playing?

Snark seem like great tuners...

Hmm

The earlier model of the D'Addario NS-Micro tuners had plastic buttons that rattled. A strip of Scotch tape 'magic tape' over the buttons fixes this without being an eyesore and without leaving sticky residue such as with the cellophane tape.

The newer versions of this tuner with the rubber button caps that I have, do not have this problem.

Maybe the OP should contact D'Addario and see if they will offer a replacement?

I also have a few of the Reverb tuners, that are round in body, which pivots on the clip, and has only a single red button, and never had a rattle. I bought a bunch of them when they went on sale for $1 with free shipping, and have given them all away to newbie ukers (save one for myself as a backup), and I have not had any complaints.

Were I to upgrade, I might get the clip-on version, i.e., the one with the spring clip and articulated neck joint, of the D'Addarion NS-Micro which they label as 'universal', or the TC Electronic Polytune clip-on ($50) or the Peterson Strobo-clip ($90) but for now, these tuners listed here have served me well.

Sorry I cannot offer other suggestions for tuners that do not rattle, since I have not had a need to explore further as of now.

Top Bottom