Thread: Raj„o grandfather of the ukulele!

Default Raj„o grandfather of the ukulele!

More pictures about the raj„o:
    https://www.zonerama.com/HermanVDC/Album/3671570

Wow! That was fantastic, lovely instrument, great playing, & a nice venue to play it in.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.
    Formerly known as uke1950.

Thanks uke1950, it is very nice indeed. So I wonder why not more raj„os are in use, they are so much nicer to play then tenor ukuleles.

IIRC four then string versions exist too and there is a wealth of lost music for them waiting to be rediscovered. I might be mistaken but I think there was something on Sam Muirs site. More strings might well allow greater things but the I find that there's a lot to be said for keeping things simple (?) with four and exploiting that simplicity to best advantage.

Hello Herman,

That was really nice! Thanks so much for posting it. Scott did a great job as always, and your playing (as well as the photography) were really first rate.

I've always been interested in these instruments, and like you, have wondered why they aren't played more today. But what I'm seeing here is not what I would expect. I'm far from expert in this area, so maybe you can help me.

First, did Phalese actually write those pieces for the Rajao, or did you adapt them? My impression of the instrument is that it served primarily as a rhythm accompaniment to the Machete. BTW, I've seen your Machete/Guitar video, and it is wonderful as well.

The instrument itself appears a bit different in proportion than the few I've seen, appearing to have a somewhat smaller body. Was this based on an historical instrument, or simply designed to suit your playing preferences?

It seems that playing melody on this instrument (and the design of Scott's work would seem to show an intent for that use) could be a new way of playing it; not something that's been seen before. Am I mistaken there? Even if that's the case, then you've opened a new window on both the design and the style of play.

Thanks again -
    Last edited by southcoastukes; 09-20-2017 at 01:17 PM.
    Dirk Wormhoudt

email: sales@southcoastukes.com

Beautiful playing/ beautiful video. Thank you for posting. How is the Rajao tuned?
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

Thread Information