Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from upstate NY

Default Hello from upstate NY

Hi! I'm Anthony and I just started teaching myself ukulele. I'm an amateur cellist and have been wanting to learn ukulele for quite awhile now. I've finally found some motivation and time in my busy life as a graduate student to teach myself a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ayee View Post
    ... time in my busy life as a graduate student to teach myself a little bit.
    Welcome to the forum! What field are you studying for the graduate program?

I am studying optical engineering

Welcome Anthony! Hello from sunnier and warmer Arizona. I've been to Niagara Falls and to Cooperstown. Loved it in upstate NY. Would love to go back sometime. This UU is a very friendly place.
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

Welcome aboard.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.
    Formerly known as uke1950.

Welcome to UU Anthony.
    All the best,
    Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by ayee View Post
    Hi! I'm Anthony and I just started teaching myself ukulele. I'm an amateur cellist and have been wanting to learn ukulele for quite awhile now. I've finally found some motivation and time in my busy life as a graduate student to teach myself a little bit.
    Hey, Anthony.

If you are studying Optical engineering, then I'd make a wild guess that you are at RIT in western New York. So if you are in the Rochester area, check out Bernunzio's - one of our local Uke Gurus, Ron Gordon, just did a series of uke and jug band workshops out there.

(BTW, to me, "Upstate New York" is Saratoga Springs and Northward, while anything south of Albany is "Downstate". West of Utica, is central (Syracuse) and Western (Rochester and Buffalo)).

Eastern NY is called Massachusetts.

-Kurt
    Ken Timms Soprano
    Moku MS-90S * Waterman G-I-T-D * National Triolian Reso * Bugsgear Aqualele * Donaldson Concert *
    Rosewood Vita Uke * Waverly Street #38 * Ko'Aloha Sceptre Tenor * Ohana Vita Uke * FireFly banjo uke
    Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele * Republic Concert * Fluke Tenor M22 * Kala KA-KTG-CT Cedar Top
    Cordoba 20TM * 1950's Harmony soprano *1920's era Stella banjo uke
    guitars and a 5-string banjo

Am I done?

...naw...

My YouTube Channel

Welcome to UU!
    Kanile'a KSTP Natural Koa Tenor (High G)
    Mya-Moe Curly Myrtle Tenor (Low G)
    Martin 0XB Soprano (Everyday Carry)

Optical engineering in the hometown of Bausch and Lomb. Interesting. Welcome to UU. Maybe I'll see you at Bernunzio's.
    If everybody wanted peace instead of another TV, then there would be peace.
    -John Lennon-

Quote Originally Posted by ksiegel View Post
    Hey, Anthony.

If you are studying Optical engineering, then I'd make a wild guess that you are at RIT in western New York. So if you are in the Rochester area, check out Bernunzio's - one of our local Uke Gurus, Ron Gordon, just did a series of uke and jug band workshops out there.

(BTW, to me, "Upstate New York" is Saratoga Springs and Northward, while anything south of Albany is "Downstate". West of Utica, is central (Syracuse) and Western (Rochester and Buffalo)).

Eastern NY is called Massachusetts.

-Kurt
    I'm at the University of Rochester. I'll definitely have to check out Bernunzio's! Thanks for the recommendation.
    I guess you're right, I should really just call it western NY. I guess most people I know just consider everything outside of NYC upstate since usually no one ever knows where Rochester is.

Thread Information