Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What are you working on:

With my ukulele group, I am working on Cynthia Lin's Beginner Holiday Jam handout for November/December performances. Basic, but fun. I especially like Jingle Bells strummed with the backbeat strum

On my own, I am working my way through Tony Mizen's Baroque Ukulele book.
    - Laura

Sopranino - Vintage 1930's Camp Uke (Birch)
    Soprano - Koaloha Opio (Sapele), Martin OXK (HPL), Brueko No. 2 (Maple), Kala ASOV -S (Spruce/Ovangkol), Vintage 40's Silvertone (Mahogany), Vintage 50's Harmony (Birch), Zither Heaven (1 Black Walnut & 1 Cherry), First Act Discovery (Plastic)
    Concert - Luna (Spruce top)
    Tenor - Outdoor Ukulele (Composite Polycarbonate), Mainland (Mahogany)

giving up alcohol and cigarettes.
    oh, sorry you were talking about ukes...
    wrong forum. I was looking for AA

Ony ever a strummer and singer... doing my own version of Price Tag, nothing like Jessie J....more Willie Nelson Style :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mountain goat View Post
    giving up alcohol and cigarettes.
    @MountainGoat been working on that one for quite a while myself...

As ukulele goes:

I just received a copy of Daniel Ward's "Meditations for Ukulele," which I have started working through as in intro to fingerstyle on the uke. I find the exercises to be very relaxing, and they have revealed some areas in need of technical improvement... right now my left hand makes rather noisy work of un-fretting the strings.

Also, to improve my knowledge and proficiency with more exotic chord shapes, I have been arranging a new tune utilizing those shapes every couple weeks. Right now it is movable diminished chords with my own version of "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover."

I've been playing for about 6 months, and jamming with a couple local ukulele groups for 2 months. I got the "yellow book" last week. I'm slowly working my way through it and marking my favorites. I'm trying out some finger picking..... "Don't Get Around Much Anymore" and "If I Only Had A Brain." Ordered new strings so that I can try low G on my tenor. I've also been struck by a bad case of UAS lately.

Hello the internet!

Never played a stringed instrument before a few months ago. I remember falling in love with Sophie Madeleine years back and my buddy had a uke lying around he never used and I commandeered it. I'm having so much fun learning. I've progressed to comfortably switching through all major/minor/7th chords and now I'm trying to figure out where to put my attention to avoid a plateau. Also, never having played and sang together means the second i do both they each suffer. That'll come with time and patience I keep telling myself.

I'm trying to learn all the grateful dead songs that aren't impossibly complicated since I honestly never tire of hearing them. Decent renditions of Black Peter, Jack-a-Roe, Mississippi half-step, Brokedown Palace, Deal, Me and My Uncle(If anyone can help with dedicated uke Grateful Dead tabs I'd be eternally....Grateful). The finger style Ripple tab still gives me headaches, but it'll come.

I've mixed in some old standards, some Wood Brothers, some Dylan, some Mandolin Orange, some Townes Van Zant (i even accidentally figured out my own arrangement of Delta Momma Blues, if anyone would like it), and a few others.

I happen to live not far from Uke Republic so i'm excited to go mill around there when I get some time. Oh and I also have a friend who builds guitars I've convinced to try his hand at uke building.

semper proficiens
    Thor

I'm trying to be disciplined and practice at least a little bit every day. I've got several books that I'm working out of, including Fred Sokolow's Beatles arrangements and Tony Mizen's Lute to Uke book.

I just discovered Del Rey, a blues uke player from the West Coast - she's great! I'd love to see her in concert, but she doesn't seem to play in New England.

Thread Information