Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are you working on:

Mainly working on my scales and theory knowledge - having to redo it all coming from the bass! New set of Aquila strings arrived for my concert - first time I'll be changing a set of strings on the uke so should be interesting, and hopefully the sound will be even better!

Working on a chord melody version of Autumn Leaves for Baritone. Love that tune and it's that time of year. Also working on our gig list for Strummin' Man Ukule le Festival in Panama City next month. We. Have a group that will perform. Also trying to get a basic ability on harmonica, but that doesn't count here.

Re-entrant, I'm working on a few Beatles tunes: Yesterday, And I Love Her, both almost "there", Here Comes the Sun, Across the Universe and Michelle.

Linear: Still Can't Say Goodbye, Daniel Ho's Hana Malie (Quietly), which is quite a challenge for me bit I keep plugging away at it, and just started working on Always With Me.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

I have my first actual paying gig next week. Three separate musicians, each doing a half hour set. We all three share ten percent of the till for the night. I'm working on my play list, my introductions to the songs, and thinking about how I can muster up some stage presence to get the audience to engage.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.
    There's more than one road into Richmond. Lil' Rev
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LEY9E_W5sw

Quote Originally Posted by Ukulele Eddie View Post

Linear: Still Can't Say Goodbye, Daniel Ho's Hana Malie (Quietly), which is quite a challenge for me bit I keep plugging away at it, and just started working on Always With Me.
    These are great examples of songs that are a bit tricky unless you know the fingerings, especially "Hana Malie" it requires big stretches for the 2nd finger to form playable shapes, just drop me a PM if you'd like a hand Eddie.
    All the best,
    Campbell

As a beginner I have a hard time deciding what to learn first, I feel like there are so many things to work on. I've already had soma guitar lessons so I got the chords and some scales pretty easily and I can read music. Right now I'm trying to stop trying to learn everything at once and take it slowly cause otherwise practicing is not effective.

I've downloaded Wilfred Welti's book for beginner solo pieces and I'm working on "the long way home" and "scarborough fair", I've also learned the beginning of "yesterday" from a youtube tutorial by Jake Shimabukuro. Meanwhile I want to try out some more intricate strumming patterns that combine picking and strumming but I haven't found any tutorials on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukulele Eddie View Post
    Re-entrant, I'm working on a few Beatles tunes: Yesterday, And I Love Her, both almost "there", Here Comes the Sun, Across the Universe and Michelle.

I feel like I must have written this post under someone else's name. LOL.

I'm also working on some Beatles tunes, (Michelle being one, polishing up Here Comes the Sun), and had started Daniel Ho's Hana Malie. I find the beginning of that one a great thing to play if I'm trying to tell if I need to tweek tuning a bit. The Daniel Ho pieces from Polani are beautiful. I'll definitely be working on more of those. I've got the title tune down, (at least, for me, LOL), and love playing it.

I had tabbed out John Hartford's Presbyterian Guitar quite a while back and forgotten about it, so that one has been on the list lately as well.

I'm also still working on Here, There, and Everywhere, but it's getting there!

Quote Originally Posted by JJFN View Post
    I am really working on my barre chords. Every song I play I am only playing barre chords. It isn't easy, my arthritic left hand really fells it. So as long as I have a supply of Ibuprofen I should be okay. The goal is to play barre chord almost exclusively I really like the control the barre chords bring. And the results will be worth the trouble. But as I say, it isn't easy. Just sayin'.
    Take care using ibuprofen, it can cause liver damage if abused. Good luck!

Right now our group is working on 10 Beatles tunes for the upcoming benefit for Metropolitan Ministries, a John Lennon birthday tribute. About 5 local ukulele bands are participating.
    Last edited by Nickie; 09-17-2017 at 04:18 PM. Reason: forgot something!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Thread Information