Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you working on:

Default What are you working on:

I am really working on my barre chords. Every song I play I am only playing barre chords. It isn't easy, my arthritic left hand really fells it. So as long as I have a supply of Ibuprofen I should be okay. The goal is to play barre chord almost exclusively I really like the control the barre chords bring. And the results will be worth the trouble. But as I say, it isn't easy. Just sayin'.
    DEPENDENTS:

In order of age:

Kamaka HF-4 Baritone C Linear Tuning 6/2009
    Martin C-1K Concert, Bb Re-entrant Tuning 4/2014
    KoAloha KTM-00 Tenor C Linear Tuning 7/2014
    Kala KA-SRMT-TRI Tenor C Linear Tuning 6/1/2015
    Pono MTD-CR Tenor C Re-entrant Tuning 6/21/2016
    Koaloha KCM-00 Concert Bb Linear Tuning 4/20/2017

Who me? I've got the basics, now I'm working on getting better.

Seriously, there are a lot of things I need to improve, & there are others I would like to be able to do, so practicing is the only way to get there.

All the best with your barre chord practicing.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.
    Formerly known as uke1950.

I have been working on memorizing three seperate chord melody songs. I have found working on two or three at the same time actually helps. It might be because I don't get frustrated or bored doing the same song over and over and over and over and over and over........
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    I have been working on memorizing three seperate chord melody songs. I have found working on two or three at the same time actually helps. It might be because I don't get frustrated or bored doing the same song over and over and over and over and over and over........
    Good point.
    DEPENDENTS:

In order of age:

Kamaka HF-4 Baritone C Linear Tuning 6/2009
    Martin C-1K Concert, Bb Re-entrant Tuning 4/2014
    KoAloha KTM-00 Tenor C Linear Tuning 7/2014
    Kala KA-SRMT-TRI Tenor C Linear Tuning 6/1/2015
    Pono MTD-CR Tenor C Re-entrant Tuning 6/21/2016
    Koaloha KCM-00 Concert Bb Linear Tuning 4/20/2017

I've been working on fingerpicking my baritone. I just got a new baritone "song" book with good folk music, and I'm using it and a "regular" fingerpicking book to learn. Baritone books in DGBE that I like are very difficult to find.

I can easily play most of tunes on the staff, but I'm having trouble with the TAB. Some of the notes are not where I think they should be, and I have to transpose the notes on the first string because I'm playing in DGBD. I'd like to use the TAB though because the chords are easier for me to read, but I'll figger it out.

I have a lot of trouble memorizing stuff, but I've found that playing tunes that I already know and like makes learning a lot easier. Just learning the tune from the next page of a book makes learning a drag for me. I have a little less to learn now, and I'm enjoying my studies more.

I'm really enjoying my baritone uke studies, but, alas, my baritone's strings are very old and easily slide outta tune (like me) a lot. I don't like to change strings, but I just gotta, I guess.

So, after a long hiatus, I'm playing the ukulele again and enjoying it.
    Last edited by Down Up Dick; 09-14-2017 at 11:22 AM.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBD
    Kala tenor eight string - gG cC EE AA

Luna "Peace" concert - Lo - G CEA
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA -
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B

Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift) - C
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - C

Two ukes are better than one. Uh, what’s better than two?

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Working on improving dynamic !
    Brenda

There is a song that I have long thought of as one of the most emotionally powerful songs I have ever heard. I worked out a chord arrangement a couple of years ago, but have been intimidated by both the complexity of the singing and the power of the song. Partly based on encouragement from a friend, I decided to start practicing it last week, and am making progress.

Don't know if I could ever record it, but might play it live.

Also itching to start on a fairly complicated multi-part arrangement of a house tune - that one might be done in a couple of weeks.

Grandparenting duties have kept me away from UU of late, but during this time I have started to rewrite many of my tabs to include the suggested fingerings for the fretting hand. I have realized the great importance of correct fingerings when people are learning new pieces and will now try include them in all my tabs.
    Here is an example;
    https://app.box.com/s/qd6l8h9vi4d9pmf06mzgza0hmdqvkpi8
    All the best,
    Campbell

Well, my baritone now has brand new Aquila strings. The ones on it were very old and in pretty bad shape. I shoulda changed them a long time ago.

Now that I'm entering a new facet of my ukulele training, I thought new strings would be appropriate. Maybe I'll even play better. I got nowhere to go but up!

Anyway, nothin' broke (yet), the loose strings didn't stick me in the eye, and I didn't yell or throw anything. Success!
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBD
    Kala tenor eight string - gG cC EE AA

Luna "Peace" concert - Lo - G CEA
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA -
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B

Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift) - C
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - C

Two ukes are better than one. Uh, what’s better than two?

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    Well, my baritone now has brand new Aquila strings. The ones on it were very old and in pretty bad shape. I shoulda changed them a long time ago.

Now that I'm entering a new facet of my ukulele training, I thought new strings would be appropriate. Maybe I'll even play better. I got nowhere to go but up!

Anyway, nothin' broke (yet), the loose strings didn't stick me in the eye, and I didn't yell or throw anything. Success!

Way to go bro. Nothing like new strings to make an instrument sound as if it cost twice as much. Good stuff, keep swinging.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Thread Information