What are you working on:

Working on Christmas songs. I've been playing fingerstyle for so many years with a more free form chord structure that playing defined chord shapes again is kind of a re-learning experience. Oddly enough, it has prompted me to string one if my tenors in low G and for the first time ever, I really enjoy the sound for this genre. In the past linear tuning has been short lived, but I think it is going to stick this time around... at least for one ukulele.

John

I'm having some hand-eye coordination problems. I've been mostly a wind instrumentalist all my life, so I've played the notes with my embouchure. Now I hafta read the music or tabs and play with my fingers. I really hate to admit it, but playing tabs is somewhat easier. I guess because that's the way I learned to play strings in the first place. Chords are no problem, but they too are easier for me to read with tab. I'm having the same problem with my Irish Tenor banjo too, but not my 5 string which I use with tab. I wanted to use standard notation because I have lots of folk and Irish music--ahhh, well . . .

Right now I'm playing finger style on the baritone by ear--no problem. It's easy-peasy except for the chords, figgering how to play them and where they go, but it's comin' along. If I don't hafta play and read at the same time, I do much better.

You CAN teach an old dog new tricks, but it ain't easy. :eek:ld:

Last edited:
After two+ years of learning strumming and chords I've started flat picking to get more oomph to my notes and separate the notes. I still play chords but am learning how to pick out melodies on the notes within them. It also makes me slow down my strumming which has gotten too fast.

I might get another set at the bar where I did a set a few weeks ago. I'm working on a new play list so that I'm not just doing the same thing again. I think that there was a lot of room for improvement, so I'm trying to identify what I need to work on for a better and more engaging performance.

working on a finger style version of alphaville's forever young.
Didn't see the synth pop season, until it was almost over, so didn't get it ready in time.
But it's a nice song in a circle of fifths, and one I always meant to work it out on uke, so I'll finish working through it.

Grandparenting duties have kept me away from UU of late, but during this time I have started to rewrite many of my tabs to include the suggested fingerings for the fretting hand. I have realized the great importance of correct fingerings when people are learning new pieces and will now try include them in all my tabs.
Here is an example;
https://app.box.com/s/qd6l8h9vi4d9pmf06mzgza0hmdqvkpi8

This would be so helpful! I wish all the finger-picking tabs out there would have detailed fingering instructions.

I'm just starting to learn fingerpicking, and working my way by following the Uke Aerobics book. I found I need to write down the fingers (both left and right hand) on the sheet so that I won't forget... And sometimes I need to try lots of times to find the fingering combination that works for me, and I still wonder whether this is the correct way to do it...

With my ukulele group, I am working on Cynthia Lin's Beginner Holiday Jam handout for November/December performances. Basic, but fun. I especially like Jingle Bells strummed with the backbeat strum

On my own, I am working my way through Tony Mizen's Baroque Ukulele book.

giving up alcohol and cigarettes.
oh, sorry you were talking about ukes...
wrong forum. I was looking for AA :eek:

Ony ever a strummer and singer... doing my own version of Price Tag, nothing like Jessie J....more Willie Nelson Style :)

giving up alcohol and cigarettes.
@MountainGoat been working on that one for quite a while myself...

As ukulele goes:

I just received a copy of Daniel Ward's "Meditations for Ukulele," which I have started working through as in intro to fingerstyle on the uke. I find the exercises to be very relaxing, and they have revealed some areas in need of technical improvement... right now my left hand makes rather noisy work of un-fretting the strings.

Also, to improve my knowledge and proficiency with more exotic chord shapes, I have been arranging a new tune utilizing those shapes every couple weeks. Right now it is movable diminished chords with my own version of "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover."

I've been playing for about 6 months, and jamming with a couple local ukulele groups for 2 months. I got the "yellow book" last week. I'm slowly working my way through it and marking my favorites. I'm trying out some finger picking..... "Don't Get Around Much Anymore" and "If I Only Had A Brain." Ordered new strings so that I can try low G on my tenor. I've also been struck by a bad case of UAS lately.

Hello the internet!

Never played a stringed instrument before a few months ago. I remember falling in love with Sophie Madeleine years back and my buddy had a uke lying around he never used and I commandeered it. I'm having so much fun learning. I've progressed to comfortably switching through all major/minor/7th chords and now I'm trying to figure out where to put my attention to avoid a plateau. Also, never having played and sang together means the second i do both they each suffer. That'll come with time and patience I keep telling myself.

I'm trying to learn all the grateful dead songs that aren't impossibly complicated since I honestly never tire of hearing them. Decent renditions of Black Peter, Jack-a-Roe, Mississippi half-step, Brokedown Palace, Deal, Me and My Uncle(If anyone can help with dedicated uke Grateful Dead tabs I'd be eternally....Grateful). The finger style Ripple tab still gives me headaches, but it'll come.

I've mixed in some old standards, some Wood Brothers, some Dylan, some Mandolin Orange, some Townes Van Zant (i even accidentally figured out my own arrangement of Delta Momma Blues, if anyone would like it), and a few others.

I happen to live not far from Uke Republic so i'm excited to go mill around there when I get some time. Oh and I also have a friend who builds guitars I've convinced to try his hand at uke building.

semper proficiens
Thor

I'm trying to be disciplined and practice at least a little bit every day. I've got several books that I'm working out of, including Fred Sokolow's Beatles arrangements and Tony Mizen's Lute to Uke book.

I just discovered Del Rey, a blues uke player from the West Coast - she's great! I'd love to see her in concert, but she doesn't seem to play in New England.

Top Bottom