Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kamaka soprano goes sharp

I've noticed on both my ukuleles that sometimes when I pick up my ukulele and tune it up, the C string is a little high and I have to bring it down a smidge. I have no idea why that would be, and I agree that it defies logic. I've never giving it much more than a passing thought though.
    Last edited by Rllink; 09-18-2017 at 03:28 AM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.
    There's more than one road into Richmond. Lil' Rev
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LEY9E_W5sw

it could be the cooler temperature
    Making music is a gift in itself, and when you can share it ....it is your gift to others

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    I've noticed on both my ukuleles that sometimes when I pick up my ukulele and tune it up, the C string is a little high and I have to bring it down a smidge. I have no idea why that would be, and I agree that it defies logic. I've never giving it much more than a passing thought though.
    If the saddle slot is pinching the string, there is unresolved tension between the the nut and saddle, that is taken up as the string is more slowly easing it's way thru the nut slot. Thus when tuning, you are really having more an effect of the string length between the nut and tuning post, and can also easily break a string this way if too tight.

This is also known as a 'binding nut slot'. If you widen the slot, maybe even just 2-3 strokes with an emery board, it's possible it will be wide enough, otherwise you could use a thinner string gage if you prefer not to modify the nut.

If you are using Nylgut or Nylon strings, they are about 25% thicker than nearly ALL fluoro strings, so fluoro strings on the next string change might make the problem go away, provided that the nut slot was binding on the C string...

Thread Information