Do your ukuleles have names?

Only one of mine has a name. My retro red Bonanza is named Hot Rod. It just seems to fit.

Attachments

• DSCF1401.jpg
    DSCF1401.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 13
Some of my furniture has names, thanks to Ikea. It is easier to say "it's in the middle drawer of Varda" than to say "it's in the middle drawer of the birch table in the southwest corner of the kitchen under the window where the cat sits."

If you have a significant other who can understand "while you're up, could you please bring me the Kala KA-T?" then maybe your ukes don't need names. My ukes are named Carl, Felicia, Little Gatemouth (Gatemouth is a dulcimer; both have resonators), Broadway, archy, "the bari" and Clara. The last two I haven't owned long enough to learn their names.

A fresh-off-the-shelf production uke does not require a name. However, after it has been played and knocked around for a while, it becomes a unique thing and, IMHO, it deserves a name. It is no longer a generic Kala KA-T because you have a relationship and history with this particular uke.

Carl has been with me for 17 years. "Fluke concert, plum" does not even begin to cover it. :D

All my instruments are called Southern Cross, boring I know!. My personal banjo uke which lives in the shed frequently covered in dust is called "whereisthebastard"

Some do, most don't. My LFdM is Karl Leroy, named after my father and grandfather. My Griffin is The McLaren, named after my mother's side of the family because I ordered it on my mother's birthday. My MyaMoe Port Orford cedar/pheasantwood concert is Emily, named after my grandmother who often wore hats with pheasant feathers on them. Sometimes, though, the name is just silly: my Pono baritone is Kibsgaard, because that's how it was listed on the Pono website for a short time, presumably due to some glitch. :D

Last edited:
Interesting. I can't even remember peoples' names. I have 2 high end Kamakas and I say get my good Kamaka for the 1st one I bought all the rest go by brand name -- if I remember, like Blackbird, Kanila'e. The makalas do have to go by shark or dolphin. That's sort of like names. Right?

If it helps you to bond with your instrument and practice more, why not? :)

I have names:
My soprano is called "Spruce Bring-steen" (not after the band) but some people call him The Boss.
The pineapple is "Bunny" and the concert is "Coco"....

My newest ukulele tenor does not have a name yet... takes me a bit. As someone above said they have to earn the name.

My sister originally named her Kala soprano "Little Bastard" but to make it more family friendly the name that gets used is "Little B". People think the name is "Littleby" or some other such thing and remark how cute that is. As the older sister, I say nothing. :D

Only my Kamaka Baritone has a name. The Big Kahuna. I know, not very original, but what can i say?

Yes .

Posted elsewhere but, I have names for all three of my ukes.

Finally got a chance to take a pic of my "little ones" hehe. I think I may be startin' a case of U.A.S. !!! My Kala ka-asov-s which required so much fine tuning and string changes to make it work. I think I'll name it "blood, sweat, & tears." My Islander AS-4 that I won recently. I'll call it "little bear" because the fret ends were sharp as bear claws. Spent a good hour and a half filing and polishing the frets. But, it sounds good and intonation excellent. Then there is my pride and joy. An all mahogany Tiny Tenor by Romero Creations. Perfection. I think it should be called "Lumière" because she reminds me of a British race horse by that name.

_MG_7138.jpg

Blue (Howlett Mahogany),
Spotty (Hamano Mahogany),
Peggy (My own Alder),
Gee (Howlett Spruce),
Sunny (Ziegenspeck Spruce),
Baby (Sopranino Acacia),
Smiler (Cigar Box)
and The Bat (WOU Acacia)....

No, but their name tags have names.

I buy dog and cat tags for my ukulele cases engraved with a pet appropriate name and my phone number. It works. A couple of weeks ago I left my ukulele in a diner (who does that?!?) and got a phone call from the finder within an hour.

The pets are very different to ukes. I would always name a pet, instead call him/her like fox terrier or siamese.
They respond to names and are personal beings dear to our hearts :)

I can understand names like Willie's Trigger for sure though. They can can get attached to a very special instrument when they get really special. I mean famous. Still they are inanimate objects. There is the difference.

Or late BB's Lucille. Though I quite sure there were many in that name lool.

The pets are very different to ukes. I would always name a pet, instead call him/her like fox terrier or siamese.
They respond to names and are personal beings dear to our hearts :)

I can understand names like Willie's Trigger for sure though. They can can get attached to a very special instrument when they get really special. I mean famous. Still they are inanimate objects. There is the difference.

Or late BB's Lucille. Though I quite sure there were many in that name lool.

It's always impressed me how dogs learn their names and realize that it refers to them. We got two puppies, sisters, and each learned her name right away, and each knew the name of the other dog.

In order of appearance:
Ruby - Rogue Baritone
Citrine - Bugsgear Concert (Orange)
Jade - Outdoor Ukulele Tenor (Green)
Amber - Oudoor Ukulele Soprano (Brown)

Names make them more personal. There are other brown Outdoor Ukulele Sopranos but there is only one Amber.

I said before that I don't name my ukuleles, but now that isn't quite true. My friend decided that she wanted to learn to play the ukulele and she bought one. She immediately gave it a name. Then she asked me what I named mine. I told her that my ukulele was just a tool to make music, like a hammer is a tool to pound nails. I told her that I didn't name my hammers either. So she started referring to my Mainland as Hammer and now I've taken to calling it Hammer as well. Oh well.

download.jpg

I call them hatchets

Last edited:
Top Bottom