New tuners

Gotoh UPT tuners . I've heard great things about them. They will be on my neck uke. Do you like them?

Awesome, I've got my Gotoh UPTL tuners on the way to me from HMS to install on my Martin OX. I ordered a 10 dollar reamer from Amazon, will any reamer work? What did you use?

I bought a $25 dollar reamer when I bought pegheds for my Fluke. Only advice I can give is a little reaming goes a long way. Do over turn or hole gets to big. Do small adjustments. Good luck with conversion.

Awesome, I've got my Gotoh UPTL tuners on the way to me from HMS to install on my Martin OX. I ordered a 10 dollar reamer from Amazon, will any reamer work? What did you use?
Hi, I used an old propeller reamer from when I flew Rc planes. I think any reamer made for wood will work. Just go slow and don't force it too hard. Stop as many times as you need to and dry fit the tuner. Mark it with tape after to 1st hole so you know how deep to go on the rest. Mine was barely big enough to get to hole the correct size, they went in a little snug.

I've only seen and played with them on Kamakas in the local stores where I live, they are nice.

Oh the things we excite ourselves with... LOL

Have fun tuning... ;)

Thanks for the tips! Looking forward to installing mine soon.

The better the reamer, the easier, neater, and safer the job is. I have a $30 reamer that cuts like butter....I have an $8 reamer that cuts very roughly.
As others have said, take your time. Make the holes so they're not so tight you have to force the new tuners in too hard, that can lead to cracks. You don't want it too loose either, of course. Snug is good.
Personally, I like to cover the tuning holes with masking tape (it won't hurt the finish after removing) and just punch a hole through the tape, then insert the reamer through that. The tape protects the wood around and near the hole as you work and decreases the risk of damage. I hope all goes smoothly for your install too.

If a uke I bought came with friction tuners, they get replaced with either the Gotoh UPT-L or Grover 9NB.

The UPT-L tuners that I have on 3 ukes now are flawless, and highly recommended.

Good luck with the new tuners! :music:

HUGE PROPS to BOOLI and everyone in this thread! I installed the tuners successfully! If it weren't for Booli and his detailed instructions on how he installed his in a PM, I wouldn't of had the confidence to do it myself. The Gotoh UPT-L tuners are awesome, highly recommended!

Original friction tuners on my Martin OXB Soprano:

(Back)
IMG_3491.JPG

(Front)
IMG_3492.JPG

Purchased these from HMS:
IMG_3493.JPG

Purchased this from Amazon:
IMG_3494.jpg

Had a digital calipers on hand so it made it easier to tape up the reamer:
IMG_3495.JPG

Friction tuners removed:
IMG_3496.JPG

Reaming, this required more elbow grease than I expected!
IMG_3497.JPG

Used for poking a hole for the anchor pin:
IMG_3498.JPG

Gotoh UPT-L (Front)
IMG_3499.JPG

Gotoh UPT-L (Back)
IMG_3500.JPG

Thanks again Booli and everyone! I love my uke even more now! :D

Congrats to both brother Dan :) and brother Subfanatic...

Looks great! You guys should be proud of such a clean install. :rock:

I love these Gotoh UPT and UPT-L tuners too. :p

Top Bottom