Removing initials

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Apparently, back in the old days, plenty of folks would personalize their ukes by carving, or painting their initials on the back of the headstock or body. IMO, carved is way worse, but if painted onto the original varnish, what's the best method of removing the painted on initials, without boogering up the original 30s/40s finish underneath, and the surrounding area?

I removed some paint on an old Martin and I think I used an automotive paint rubbing compound , worked well for me.
I bought an old broken down Martin that had psychedelic designs painted on the front , took them off nicely .

Apparently, back in the old days, plenty of folks would personalize their ukes by carving, or painting their initials on the back of the headstock or body. IMO, carved is way worse, but if painted onto the original varnish, what's the best method of removing the painted on initials, without boogering up the original 30s/40s finish underneath, and the surrounding area?

Do people not do that now?

How else would you know which Moore Bettah uke is yours?

Geez, I hope not, but the world still has no lack of knuckleheads!
So I'm a knucklehead if I decide that I want to carve my initials in my ukulele, or paint something on it? I'm not trying to pick on you personally, I'm just discussing the issue. I am just not understanding why this is wrong, because I've done that sort of thing myself, and I'm not a knucklehead. Or maybe I am and don't know it.:D

Last edited:
Not everyone buys something expecting to sell it in a month or two. When I buy something, and, I like it and use it, it's mine, and I can decorate it as I like.

I have two gift ukes, and some that I've bought. I play them on and off, and I don't plan on selling any of them. :eek:ld:

So I'm a knucklehead if I decide that I want to carve my initials in my ukulele, or paint something on it? I'm not trying to pick on you personally, I'm just discussing the issue. I am just not understanding why this is wrong, because I've done that sort of thing myself, and I'm not a knucklehead. Or maybe I am and don't know it.:D
Present company excluded, of course!

No problem, carve on! :D

Last edited:
If you can't remove the paint, there is a company in Japan that makes stickers for ukes. They look almost inlaid. If you're careful they can be removed. I put an adhesive self stick address label on the back of the headstock of the Uke in the profile picture because if I forget it or it's stolen I want It back. It'll show if removed. I like the ukulele better than it's looks. Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

I agree with Rollie...if you buy it, it is your instrument. If you sell it, or you move on from this earth--then the next owner simply has to deal with what you did to it. If you don't like the personalization, don't buy it or take it.

I think we are talking about vintage instruments here--and the other thing to keep in mind is that the very expensive vintage ukuleles that we know today were rather inexpensive instruments in those days. Martin and Kamaka had esteem--but Kamaka wasn't selling ukuleles for $1000, nor Martins starting at $250.

If i had an old Martin or Kamaka with someone's initials on it in a permanent way (e.g. Carved), I would just consider that as a part of the uniqueness and history of the instrument.

So...I'm going to go get my dremel tool and engrave all of my ukuleles...

(Just kidding, I am not going to to that).

This brought to mind the new Ohanas that you paint and and assemble yourself. Those are going to drive some people crazy!

I mark my stuff, not just my ukuleles. I know from experience that if something gets stolen, like my ukulele, when I make a police report they are going to ask if it has any distinguishing marks. In other words, "when we're at the pawn shop, or we have a car stopped and we see a ukulele that matches the description of your stolen uke, how do we know it is yours, and not just another Mainland ukulele?" That is why people do that, so they can identify their property. That is why I do it. If your thing is to maintain your ukuleles in pristine condition, don't take them out, and plan on selling them at some point or another, then it is probably a travesty to mark one up. But if one is gigging a lot in bars and coffee shops, or getting out and about with their ukuleles, there might be the off chance that when no one is looking someone will walk away with it. In that case, having some sort of indelible marking makes the chances of getting it back much better.

Last edited:
A good place to mark your uke is with a small label in the soundhole on the underside of the soundboard . That way you would need a mirror to see it .

I discovered my son's initials carved into a small bookcase that was his as a child, but now is in my bedroom. I might have been angry with him had I noticed them when he was 9 years old, but now they make me love that bookcase.

Having very occasionally had things stolen in the past I decided to firstly not become too attached to things and secondly to not have expensive things that attract thieves. Edit. Well not unless I can mitigate the risks and then easily take the financial or emotional knock. YMMV.

I think the ideas of address labels on the back of the headstock (for those that want to return it to you) and address labels on the underside of the sound board (for those who want to benefit from your loss) are really very good. Thanks, I might well follow those ideas up.

The thread was originally about removing paint and marks. I hope that the OP doesn't mind the diversion and that some assistance comes his way.

Last edited:
In response to the original question. If the initials are marker or very thin paint, you can probably try some automotive scratch remover like Maguires. just go slow so you don't go too far.If it's on there thick, you are probably going to cause more harm than good and I'd just live with it.

I have put "side markers" on with paint, and have scraped them off with my thumbnail and you can't tell they were ever there. You could also try the edge of a credit card or if you're brave, a single-sided razor blade. Either of those also work for getting hard water stains off sinks, faucets, etc.

Top Bottom