Want to Buy an ukulele But theres a problem! Please help :)

Ibxn

Reaction score
Hi, I really want this concert ukulele from Lunaguitars.com: http://www.lunaguitars.com/query?upc=819998115746

It is the most beautiful ukulele ive ever Seen in my opinion and I really want it, but the problem is that Lunaguitars isnt selling it internationally at the moment due to rosewood regulations. (I live in Europe, and i think Lunaguitars is american) The ukulele's bridge and fretboard are made out of rosewood. Does anybody know when They will start shipping it internationally again?

As a newbie, buying based upon looks, without playing it first and testing it, and taking into consideration, build quality, playability, and tone is bascially a trap, that will force you to either give up the uke completely OR force you to upgrade.

Last edited:
My first ukulele was a Luna concert. Still play it - sounds fine with a nice ringing tone. Learning with it brought me joy as a new player. I don't know if Luna will start manufacturing without rosewood, but I wish the OP well in his quest.

I, too, have had a Luna "Peace" ukulele for a long time. It's the ukulele that I usually play when I get the urge to chord and sing. It plays well and sounds good enough to me. I have absolutely no complaints about it at all--bottom-rung or not.

I hope you get the one you like, Ibxn. It's really sharp looking. :eek:ld:

Why not just contact Luna and ask them? They're the only ones who can say for sure if or when they will. I hope you find something you're happy with.

Luna has a form on their website to ask them about international dealers. If you have a dealer in your country (or within the EU), then they might be able to order one for you:

http://www.lunaguitars.com/international-dealers

Ordering one internationally via ebay might work, too. I don't think customs are out to flag every cheap ukulele that is shipped.

Hi, I really want this concert ukulele from Lunaguitars.com: http://www.lunaguitars.com/query?upc=819998115746

It is the most beautiful ukulele ive ever Seen in my opinion and I really want it, but the problem is that Lunaguitars isnt selling it internationally at the moment due to rosewood regulations. (I live in Europe, and i think Lunaguitars is american) The ukulele's bridge and fretboard are made out of rosewood. Does anybody know when They will start shipping it internationally again?

You might be in luck with this UK seller, see: http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Luna-Great-Wave-Concert-Ukulele-and-Gig-Bag/1505

I've no idea how good a player you are, etc. and would agree with Booli's comments on buying a Uke blind - but there is value in what inspires you to play.

Sorry folks, if I have offended with a part of my previous comment, which I have now edited.

Peace to all.

Thanks for all tips and answers! I already have a cheap Soprano ukulele i bought for about 10 dollars and i really want to upgrade to a concert ukulele. To the ones who said that based upon looks and without playing it first Would be a trap : i have watched quite a few covers on youtube where people have used that ukulele and i have watched/read reviews aswell, but thanks for the tips! :) i will Ask Lunaguitars if they will start shipping it internationally, and if they arent Going to start shipping it internationally, i will probably get another concert ukulele without rosewood. Again, thanks for all answers and tips! :)

Thanks for all tips and answers! I already have a cheap Soprano ukulele i bought for about 10 dollars and i really want to upgrade to a concert ukulele. To the ones who said that based upon looks and without playing it first Would be a trap : i have watched quite a few covers on youtube where people have used that ukulele and i have watched/read reviews aswell, but thanks for the tips! :) i will Ask Lunaguitars if they will start shipping it internationally, and if they arent Going to start shipping it internationally, i will probably get another concert ukulele without rosewood. Again, thanks for all answers and tips! :)

I would caution you to be careful about following the often-repeated misconception that going from soprano to concert, or concert to tenor, etc is an 'upgrade' or graduated based upon skill or getting a better uke just because it is a different scale length.

Soprano, concert, tenor, baritone etc reference scale length and not something that specifically merits or rewards your skill level as a player, but rather what FITS your hands, and what SOUND you want, and has nothing really to do with the ability of the player, other than that some sizes of ukes may be easier to play based on the unique anatomy of the player.

Anyone who says that you must 'upgrade' from soprano to concert, or 'upgrade' from concert to tenor (or similar) is woefully misinformed.

For example, you can 'upgrade' from a $100 concert uke to a $3,600 Martin 5K soprano uke and it has nothing to do with a player's merit or skill level in playing, so keep that in mind when shopping around.

Good luck in your quest! :)

Rosewood can be shipped internationally, it's a misconception that it can't be shipped at all, it's mainly the Brazilian Rosewood which is strictly limited, and mostly it's Indian Rosewood used on fretboards and bridges. The Indian Rosewood simply requires certification to be provided when being imported, which is covered by the seller so it's not something you need to worry about, as far as I know it gets checked upon being imported.
If you specifically want one of those Ukes perhaps try having a search on eBay, I've seen some of the Luna Ukes for sale on there and you might find the one you want. As always just check the sellers credentials, they usually are good and your purchase is covered via PayPal anyway just in case something doesn't go well with the transaction/purchase.

Last edited:
This is an article from June 2017 published in Acoustic Guitar Magazine. It has the current status on rosewood.

http://acousticguitar.com/guitar-ma...d-restrictions-and-what-it-means-for-players/

The problem for buyers may not be certification. The problem for buyers is how much sellers have to pay in time and money for certification, the added costs may make some instruments unprofitable and they wont be made or sold, so the buyer gets restricted choice. Which may be what is the problem explained in the OP.

Yes, difficulty in a purchase may be the Seller/Provider simply does not choose to export a certain brand for certification reasons.
Earlier in the year, I found looking at Ukes from U.S. dealers there were quite a few which wouldn't be exported to Aus, whereas others would be exported, I don't know exactly why dealers make their choices, but either way they could still be purchased or imported from elsewhere.
I've purchased and imported a few Ukes this year, all have Rosewood fretboards and bridges, and even Rosewood Back/Sides/Soundboard also, I did some simple research on CITES regulations online.
Regardless, I think if you specifically want that model Uke you might be able to find it for yourself. You're most likely not forced to look for a Uke with no Rosewood components, so it's still an option.

Here's a Link to the International CITES regulations site regarding the regulations , it's an interesting and informative read , and I think you can also link to more information which is relative to your country if you want to.
https://cites.org/eng/cms/index.php/component/cp

Last edited:
I only read Booli's post after editing, so I may be rehashing some of the stuff that he deleted, but I'm going to do it anyway.

My first ukulele was a Luna. I still have it. It's okay, but for the playability and tone, it's not worth the money I spent on it. The trouble is that when I bought it, I had never played a stringed instrument, so I had no idea what I was looking for, and it was certainly very pretty. Anyway, the crux of the matter is that if you are looking for a nice-sounding ukulele that is easy to play in that sort of price range, I think you can do better. It really depends on how much you value looks, though.

If the reason they won't import them is the rosewood, then all you have to do is wait until rosewood is no longer a protected species.

Let's see... takes about a century to grow a rosewood tree...uhh...

Hopefully you'll find another ukulele you like, or Luna will change the bridge and fretboard materials.

i bought my first ukulele based on looks, and without playing it or any other uke first, and i got it from an amazon.uk seller - it was a little painted korala soprano uke, as near the bottom rung of the uke ladder as you can get, and i loved it, and i still love it!

that luna is gorgeous - i hope you manage to get one!

I reckon just get a uke that makes you happy and that continues your journey. It doesnt matter if it doesn't tick all the boxes that others may have. Theres always a better uke somewhere so just enjoy :)

the thing with Lunas is they have to be sorted out and set up afterwards....Id check with andrew at HMS, he might just have some unsold in the warehouse.. it youre lucky you might score a nice concert luna peace ukelele.. I agree not all of them sound nice.. but I have played a really nice one in the shop before...

Don't buy from a place that doesn't do setups, unless the maker is known to set up their instruments in the factory (Luna isn't). Since you are in Europe, I would look at World of Ukes, Eagle Music, and The Southern Ukulele Store. Limit your selection to what you can get from one of those (or another place that includes setup, though there are few in Europe). If you live in an EU country, don't import the uke unless you really feel there is no other choice. You'll pay 23-25% VAT and import taxes, which is also applied to the shipping costs. That would be OK if you save a lot vs. buying in Europe, or you are getting a custom built instrument, but for a mid-tier uke it's preferable to buy within the EU. Cost aside, you can also return the instrument within two weeks. Returning something to the US is a lot of hassle (and expensive, too, if you have to pay the return shipping).

Top Bottom