Cherry fretboard viva Fender?

printer2

Reaction score
I am building an inexpensive tenor for a group at work who want to give it away as a gift at Christmas. It will be cherry b&s's and maybe a cherry neck. I was thinking of using walnut for the fretboard but then thought walnut is not any harder than cherry. Why not take a page out of Leo's book and not bother with a fretboard and just leave the neck blank a little thicker and put the frets into it? Has anyone done this before?

Hmmm... ..Just thought of one, fretboard going over the body. Maybe mill an extension in the blank?

Last edited:
The rest of the projects are pushed back in order of importance. One side bent, one to go.
AK2EXci.jpg

This was unplanned, using the other uke body as a temporary form so it holds its shape. Did not think I would make more than one I did not make any forms for this shape.
VLwkEXH.jpg

Gluing the neck and tail block.
pG91TJ7.jpg

Trimmed and looking good.
sMRenXW.jpg

Installing the linings.
TQpJ257.jpg

A nice piece that is an orphan guitar side, need to thin it down some.
5jISQ74.jpg

Thinned down, with some wings on it should make for a good top.
NMPgw0p.jpg

The back already joined.
MUKnFQH.jpg

Cutting the sound hole.
yYUkUeL.jpg

Bracing the top.
iEQuBrO.jpg

Bracing the back and adding a bits under the bridge area.
y4g3qVm.jpg

Gluing the sides onto the top. The clamp is for insurance the sides do not bow. A spacer runs from the neck block to the tail block and with the clamp nothing moved when adding the weights. I find this faster and easier than using clamps.
h5gZ7QZ.jpg

Glued on the back as well. Trimmed and almost ready for finish. Need to put a ring of wood in the sound hole in place of a rosette. Then with some sanding it is almost ready to go. Time to think of the neck.
6yF12hu.jpg

Looking good. I can hardly make out the "wings" on the top. Nice disguise. ... My only quibble: Round off those back brace edges. Only takes seconds. A very minor detail. Looking forward to progress.

Darn it, missed that step. Managed to do a lot of work yesterday and in the end my mind was a little fried. Not much of a sound hole to get my hand in but I think I can manage to knock of the edges.

Thanks for the step-by-step, it's useful to see how others go about their work.

Bob

That is what I like about seeing other's build threads. Not much tonight from the pictures of my scarf joint but it took me a day to get this far. I have a tablesaw that ate a motor and I picked up a cheap on in the meantime. I never thought anything of it but it did not have any guide slots in it but rather than a table that slid. It was not a problem till I wanted to do a scarf joint. I tried to do a quick hack job on my chop saw, a little more difficult than I thought it would be. In the end I just drew the lines and cut the thing with a hand saw. After gluing it together I touched up the top surface on my belt sander than needs a new belt and then thined the back side with my drum sander.

xaZX58H.jpg

uiT662d.jpg

Need to trim some of the excess wood before gluing on the fretboard and shaping.

4mPXF3S.jpg

Mark out the shape.

2OIpphk.jpg

Now it looks a little chunky. We have a fix for that.

5ANqukA.jpg

Adjust my drum sander so the neck fits in between the drum and the table then thin down the thickness.

j7qKQf0.jpg

Gluing on the fretboard.

32pF2bn.jpg

Rough carved the neck with a spoke shave.

tEYnI3V.jpg

Getting to the point where it is starting to feel like a neck.

vZAUFEL.jpg

My home made mill cutting the saddle slot in the bridge.

znD84GV.jpg

Cutting and chipping away the excess.

Z23DDQK.jpg

Some cleaning up is needed and then drill the string holes.

eylkyjH.jpg

Scraping sides.

75VCnca.jpg

Some walnut for the soundhole. Checking fit before glue.

rnifdGH.jpg

They want their logo on the headstock, notice the nifty dremel jig.

jyCma06.jpg

It will get some touch up once the grout dries.

q0adljS.jpg

Great thread, I love seeing the play by play. And I'm encouraged by the fact that one can build such a nice looking instrument with common tooling.

Thanks. Not the greatest of pictures, where I am today. I need to trim the fretboards, wanted to get the finish on the parts in order to harden and I was indecisive on the FB's.

2JtlElk.jpg

So much for starting to relax. One tuner is fine, the others feel like sand in the gears. It hurts but had to do it, have some cheap ones that actually feel fine but they have a shorter post. Have some work to do yet.

I3jmMCf.jpg

Darn, starting to look like an instrument.

LIeZ5O8.jpg

Now frets, glue the neck and bridge.

Just need to do a nut and saddle but otherwise done. Sorry for the slightly washed out top picture.

IDRaC9m.jpg

70FdinK.jpg

Top Bottom