Season 292 - 80's Synth Pop

Another one from the band with surely THE worst hair-do of the era, A Flock Of Seagulls. Amazingly, I don't have any of their records, but I did see them around the time of this single, when they supported Squeeze.

As I sometimes do with a wide open theme like this I've made a Spotify playlist of potential songs to help me narrow down what I want to do. I then noticed down the bottom a 'recommended songs' section that had quite a few I'd completely forgotten about.

So if you're after a bit of inspiration, have a gander. I'll almost certainly be playing a few more off this list.

https://open.spotify.com/user/1115371095/playlist/5VanjwEYhAMcZITAPwUgud

I haven't date checked any of these so some might not fit the bill but I think they capture the feel of what John is going for. This is easily my favourite kind of music... in case you hadn't guessed.

Last edited:
Part one of the session. Round two might have to come by plane...a very famous plane.

Last edited:
Part one of the session. Round two might have to come by plane...a very famous plane.
[video=youtube_share;Nr7RhSfdWls]https://youtu.be/Nr7RhSfdWls[/vieo]

Yes mate! Can't wait for that.

This one was performed by Canadian Corey Hart, and it came out in 1984 (the year I was born, coincidentally) I don't have any of those fancy programs like Rex and Randy, so I had to hire out my own background dancer. It seemed like a good idea, at first, until she tried to strangle me.......

:bowdown: blue monday by :bowdown: new order

val, i have in my time done one or two <cough!> synth-y 80's songs on uke, of course by the time i've finished with them, they are all shouty punky uke rock! but hey, i have a good time with this sort of stuff! there were some truly wonderful songs from this era, what am i saying, there were gazillions of truly wonderful songs from this era! if anyone has put chords up on the ultimate guitar website for the song(s) you fancy, they are totally bringable on uke, and on uke alone!

:music: :rock:

:bowdown: blue monday by :bowdown: new order

val, i have in my time done one or two <cough!> synth-y 80's songs on uke, of course by the time i've finished with them, they are all shouty punky uke rock! but hey, i have a good time with this sort of stuff! there were some truly wonderful songs from this era, what am i saying, there were gazillions of truly wonderful songs from this era! if anyone has put chords up on the ultimate guitar website for the song(s) you fancy, they are totally bringable on uke, and on uke alone!

:music: :rock:

Very many thanks for the advice, Lynda! An idea is beginning to form!

As I sometimes do with a wide open theme like this I've made a Spotify playlist of potential songs to help me narrow down what I want to do. I then noticed down the bottom a 'recommended songs' section that had quite a few I'd completely forgotten about.

So if you're after a bit of inspiration, have a gander. I'll almost certainly be playing a few more off this list.

https://open.spotify.com/user/1115371095/playlist/5VanjwEYhAMcZITAPwUgud

I haven't date checked any of these so some might not fit the bill but I think they capture the feel of what John is going for. This is easily my favourite kind of music... in case you hadn't guessed.

There are some absolute corkers on there. Am listening to The Lotus Eaters as I write. (Ok that's not really a synth led song, but there are some great synth songs on it. ) Thanks for the heads up Ryan.

This is not my entry, but this week inspired me to finally make an official video for it. This was originally entered for week 182. I'm trying to make something for this week. I hope you enjoy.

There are some absolute corkers on there. Am listening to The Lotus Eaters as I write. (Ok that's not really a synth led song, but there are some great synth songs on it. ) Thanks for the heads up Ryan.

I dunno I hear a decent amount of synth on that one. Admittedly some of the songs on that list might not fit but it's the sort of thing that came to mind when I saw the theme.

Nothing but me and the uke on this one. I whistled the little synth riff and manually added the only echo effect in real time. Commentary after the song.

Greetings,

Opening vid is AWESOME. Not sure I'll come up with something but will try.

Ciao

Season 292. Submission 1. "Twist In My Sobriety" (Written and recorded by Tanita Tikaram in 1988)

The synth pop version of this song was recorded by Lisa Minelli on her fantastic "Results" album which was co-produced by the Pet Shop Boys and Julian Mendelsohn.

Thank you for hosting, John! I hope you enjoy this week as much as we all will. :)

Last edited:
I love the drawing of me as Shakespeare in my attic ;)

Berniz Attic.jpg

Funny, I was coming home tonight from rehearsal listening to a guy using synths to back acoustic guitar and I thought. Hmm.. I havent done that in a while. So, this week's theme is a wonderful coincidence and a good reason to hook up my synth.

I love the drawing of me as Shakespeare in my attic ;)

View attachment 103102

Funny, I was coming home tonight from rehearsal listening to a guy using synths to back acoustic guitar and I thought. Hmm.. I havent done that in a while. So, this week's theme is a wonderful coincidence and a good reason to hook up my synth.

Let's see. It rhymes with plinth. Umm, labyrinth...

Obviously this genre is not my area of expertise, but I've always had a fondness for synth pop. I wore the 45 of this Gary Numan classic out back in the day. Tried my own arrangement on it, kinda sorta Americana-ish I suppose, not sure if it works this way or not. You be the judge. This took far more takes than I was expecting, and this one isn't that great, but it's the best one I got all the way thru on. I also agree that the Season opening video is awesome btw!

Everybody covers Mad World so I wanted to do a different song from one of my favorite 80's bands.

Top Bottom