Season 292 - 80's Synth Pop

This song was covered rather well by Blancmange, but even the ABBA original is fairly synth-heavy.

Ryan, thanks for the reminder to look into new wave material for synth songs. Why didn't I think of that? :p

Season 290 wrap video is in!

Back in the early 80's when I first heard Taco singing "Puttin' on the ritz" on the radio, I thought wow, this is great, so I bought the cassette tape of his "After Eight" album, which I literally wore out, so then I bought the record. I'm weird enough most of the 80's synth pop I listened to was from a 1 hit wonder who was doing synth songs about stuff 50 years earlier or more. lol I knew it was odd, I knew it was cheesy, I knew it could even be considered rubbish, but I loved my Taco cassette. Never thought I'd have a chance to work up any songs off it, which is a fun challenge. Anyhow, here's my favorite song off that album, "Tribute to Tino", which is about Rudolph Valentino.

Oooooh wow. I've just discovered one that just scrapes in (released 1989). I wonder if I can manage 2 songs this week...

I do not have sufficient grasp of the language to give it to you in the original German, so here's the English version of a bit of Peter Schilling...

Here's One of my all-time favorite Synth Pop bands that was doing it way back in 1973! From DEVO's iconic 1980 album 'Freedom of Choice' (No not Whip It), this is 'SnowBall'.

This is really a Northern Soul song...and in that incarnation one of the best ever made, but I first heard it on a tabletop jukebox in the eighties at Kens House Of Pancakes. It surely fits the theme in that incarnation.

Oh, now look what you've made me do. I pulled out my mic and tried multitracking again. This can only end badly. I think I need someone to hear my prayers... Someone who cares... :wallbash:

More from Ms Lennox in her Eurythmics years with a touch of the discovery channel :)

Oh, now look what you've made me do. I pulled out my mic and tried multitracking again. This can only end badly. I think I need someone to hear my prayers... Someone who cares... :wallbash:

We all care Robin! Go for it! Multitrack to your heart's content! It'll be fine , you'll see :cool:

Day three, or is it day two and a half? Either way, 39 vids on the playlist already. Some truly fantastic stuff coming through from you all. I am hoping to contribute at least one...maybe two later this week. I think I've managed to keep up with the playlist, pretty sure I have, but don't worry if you have to give me a virtual kick up the backside if I've left anyone off. It's going to get a great week if the first few days are anything to go by. Love and peace to you all out there. Xx

Top Bottom