Buffalo Horns

Timbuck

Reaction score
Just got back from the local pet supermarket..While Mrs T and her pooch were looking at doggie toys and treats...I was looking at Bones, Deer antlers,etc and I noticed some buffalo horns, black as ebony and hard and tough..has anybody used this for nuts and saddles ??.

Last edited:
I've used black horn on a few instruments to achieve an all black run from headstock to bridge. Works just fine, though I can't confirm the bovine species. A word of warning however - flushed with success using horn blanks sold specifically for nuts & saddles, I bought a cheaper large block of horn from a general craft supplier. It looked the part - black & shiny on the outside, but proved to be far too soft when cut open..

P1050329.jpg

A baritone guitar I made a few years ago

Last edited:
..I was looking at Bones, Deer antlers,etc and I noticed some buffalo horns, black as ebony and hard and tough..has anybody used this for nuts and saddles ??.

I love it. There is all sorts of usable stuff all around us if we would only notice. Good find Ken.... I was also in the grocery store the other day and saw a thing called a "nutmeg shredder" that looking interesting. I bought it on the spot. A perfect neck profiling tool. The profile fits that difficult spot up by the peghead (That Spot). Cost: About $10 bucks. Get one if you don't have one. A Microplane product.

nutmeggrator.jpg

Last edited:
I have some buffalo horn bridge pins in my guitar, and they're certainly not soft. Maybe it's only parts of the horn that should be avoided.

I love it. There is all sorts of usable stuff all around us if we would only notice. Good find Ken.... I was also in the grocery store the other day and saw a thing called a "nutmeg shredder" that looking interesting. I bought it on the spot. A perfect neck profiling tool. The profile fits that difficult spot up by the peghead (That Spot). Cost: About $10 bucks. Get one if you don't have one. A Microplane product.

View attachment 103108

Drat! I have several microplane kitchen tools. I should have thought of this.

View attachment 103108

Ive got two of these in my ukulele building toolbox.
I am still yet to find a decent use for them!

Perhaps this is something to try out??

Ive got two of these in my ukulele building toolbox.
I am still yet to find a decent use for them!

Perhaps this is something to try out??

Neck shaping. They work great. Perfect. Very fast and don't chew up the wood too badly. File to take out tool marks. Sandpaper to take out file marks and viola! an ukulele neck. Just go slow at first because these tools take a lot of wood fast, especially the nutmeg shredder thing.

Top Bottom