Hello from north-eastern Thailand (Issan Country)

monkeyman

Reaction score
Hello. I am retired and live in Nakhonratchasima, Korat, Thailand. I have played some guitar. Now for the first time I will try a baritone ukulele. Looking forward to many new friends on here and a lot of musical fun.

Greetings and welcome. I was stationed at Korat RTAB in 67-68. Worked at the Base Education Office. Used to go to the local hotel for a "steak?" dinner every week or two. I was also a regular at the local jewelry stores, cutting stones on base, and having custom jewelry made downtown. The Thai people I met were wonderful (except for one janitor that got snotty when I complained about his lack of cleaning, LOL). Often wanted to come back for a visit.

Hi Phil, Glad to meet you. I too am retired military. 5 years U. S. Army and the balance of 22 years on active duty with the U. S. Coast Guard. I retired in 1978. I have been in Asia for 21 years now since I left the states. 14 years of it right here in Nong Bua Sala, Near Don Kwian Pottery Center in a small village called Nong Sa Mong. Village is about half way between Korat and the pottery area.I married, built a home and plan to live right here until the end. Very beautiful and peaceful place.

You would no longer recognize Korat. The Mall built about 20 years ago is quite large and after a rebuild it is 4 levels high. Last year they completed a new Mall called Terminal 21, a fancy one. About x-mas this year a new Centeral Plaza Mall will be completed. A very large mall with something like 3000 plus parking spaces. Even the 14 years I have been here the highway has changed from 2 lanes each way divided highway to 4 lanes and from forest on each side to businesses. Not to mention a few red lights.

We have a VFW Post here #10217. Many guys here who were at the air base before. I was not one of those.

I checked out Mexico, South America and Philippines. Lived 9 years in Philippines before I came to Bangkok for a visit. Love the place. I moved here the next year. Great retirement area. You decided to come live, retire, or just visit, give me a call on this forum.

Top Bottom