Weird string ringing issue (buzzing)

joshsimpson79

Reaction score
I have a couple of strings that almost ring as if there are two strings of the same pitch. It's not quite the same as a fret buzz, but it's rather annoying and I haven't found any great answers on research.

I've played guitar for years, so I'm not a total novice at this. Maybe the strings need changing?

I bought this Kala solid wood concert in early July and have played it daily.

Yeah, I'd change strings to begin with and let them settle. If the problem persists, then there may be an actual issue. If there is an issue, if you report back here be sure to mention if it's on open notes only, fretted notes, or both.

If it only happens on open strings then it's most likely some roughness at the bottom of the nut slot.

If it happens when playing fretted notes, then it's most likely a flat or high spot on the saddle underneath those strings.

This assumes you've had the problem since July - if it's new, then try changing strings.

I write "most likely" because there are hundreds of possible causes! But these two can be checked out pretty quickly.

For the first, put a scrap of thin paper under the string in the nut slot. If the ringing goes away, the slot needs reshaping.

For the second, run your fingertips over the saddle where those strings cross - your fingertip can feel flats or ridges better than you can see them.

Thanks for the tips. I'll give them a try.

It was bought and set up by Mim's ukes. It was not there at the beginning.

Geared or friction tuners on the uke? Sometimes geared tuners - including the closed type - will buzz from within when a note is played. Mute the tuners with palm, play the string or strings and see if any change occurs.

Mim does a good setup, and this wasn't there originally but has developed since.

The most likely thing to have changed is the string. Strings can stretch unevenly, or distort - this usually leads to intonation problems, but I can imagine that if the uke took a very gently knock on the saddle, this could dent the underside of the string there. That might produce this effect.

Swap in another E string and see what happens. If you don't have a spare, but there is enough string wound round the tuners, then swap the E string end for end. If it is distorted this will move the distortion to a different spot - it won't necessarily cure the problem, but might move it somewhere else (and if it moves, you know it's a problem with that string).

But you haven't told us whether you tried out any of the suggestions earlier - if you've fitted new strings and checked the saddle for flat/raised spots (if the problem is only on fretted notes then it's not the nut), then there are two possibilities:

1. The length of string between the nut and the tuner is ringing in sympathy with the plucked note. Unlikely but not impossible. Damp that with a finger while playing and see what happens.

2. Something is loose and vibrates as you play. If this is only on one string it seems unlikely, but in your first post you said "a couple" of strings. Lots of candidates here: string tails at the bridge (if long enough to just touch the top these can buzz), a loose part on a tuner (play and touch all parts of all the tuners, might not be the E string tuner, I use a pencil with an eraser on the end so I can just touch one part of the mechanism), something has fallen inside the instrument, loose brace, and so the list goes on.

It probably isn't the reason, but I noticed a similar issue with one of my ukes - a Moku with Worth Brown Strings, also bought and set up by Mim.

The problem wasn't the uke, or the strings - it was Me.

I'd played at a farmer's market on a Sunday, and it was very damp. Wiped down the uke, and put it away. Played at a local Uke Group the following evening, and it sounded horrible (to me - everyone else said it sounded fine.) A couple of the strings were producing "ghost" tones - almost, but not quite harmonics, and I was certain that I had done something to the uke at the market.

I had the same problem the next day, but then I noticed that certain timers and electronic signals at work had the same type of "ghost tone", whereas they never had before that. What had changed?

It turns out I was hearing things - literally. I got hearing aids on that Monday, and was now hearing things I'd never heard previously.

All of my ukes have ghost tones wit the hearing aids, so I removed them when I play

So that's what happened to me. Your mileage, obviously, will vary.

-Kurt​

Well I must admit I have played music too loudly for too many years, but I don't think I'm quite ready for hearing aids just yet. That being said....
Going to get some new strings and search for rough spots and look everything over before I restring. I'll keep you posted.

Weird thing I noticed, the weird ringing is when I fret the first fret. Second and beyond and I don't notice it. I'm still switching strings.

Top Bottom