Looking for opinions on KoAloha Opio KCO-02

Croaky Keith

Reaction score
Looking for opinions on KoAloha Opio KCO-02 Solid Acacia Concert Longneck.

How does it feel to play, does it have a thick neck, how deep is the body, how do you think it compares to a solid mahogany uke sound wise.
(I've listened to some Youtube videos, & am quite liking what I'm hearing there.)

All comments appreciated, as I might be looking to get one as my expensive/quality uke.

I purchased this model from HMS earlier this year. I have ukes from Cordoba, Lanikai, mainland, ohana, and bruko to name a few, all of them get sounding and playing ukes, but the opio blows them all out of the water. You won't be disappointed.

I have played a few KoAloha Opio ukuleles at HMS. I like them quite a lot!

According to KoAloha, they build them to the same level of quality as the Hawaiian made ukes, but since the Opio is made in Thailand they can offer it at lower prices.

When I played a regular Hawaiian KoAloha, the differences were slight in tone, more because different wood, but still nice tone and feel.

If you closed your eyes and had someone play the more expensive ones and this, side by side, you wouldn't know which is which... ;)

Did you listen to the sound samples on HMS?

https://www.theukulelesite.com/koaloha-opio-soprano-ukulele-package.html

https://www.theukulelesite.com/koaloha-opio-concert-ukulele-package.html

Kalei Gamiao jamming on a Tenor Opio, now if this jamming doesn't get you moving, well... LOL ;)

https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/koaloha-tenor-acacia-opio-ukulele-package-kto-10.html

Last edited:
How does it feel to play, does it have a thick neck

I have not owned an Opio, so I will leave the sound comments to others, but the KoAloha neck is amazing! It is a little wider at 1 1/2” and rather shallow/thin. One of my favorite necks. When I had my custom Ono built I use their neck as a reference/guide for David.

All comments appreciated, as I might be looking to get one as my expensive/quality uke.

Is there anyone in your area or a store that carries the Opio line? Or even the KoAloha line? If you can, you should play one in person. I have a Sapele Opio Tenor; I think these had finish issues and as a result they moved to Acacia for the wood. Sapele is supposed to be a type of Mahogany; I believe that Koa is a specific type of Acacia.

There was some talk here on UU about some people being unhappy with the Acacia models...I offered to accept any of the Acacia models people didn’t want and my mailbox is still empty.

My ukulele collection is getting close to having 20 instruments...this wasn’t intentional. Most of them were inexpensive or free. I have a couple of high quality mid-priced instruments...a Pono and the Opio; and a number of excellent less expensive instruments such as my Bonanza Amoeba Tenor.

I can categorize these instruments. The “bells and whistles” instrument is my Pono (Cedar, Rosewood, Slotted Head). The easiest to play is my Bruce Wei concert (with f holes). The most comfortable to play is the Bonanza Ameoba. And so on.

The ukulele with the most sound, character, overtones...and the most played in public? The Opio.

I still have a number of ukuleles on my wish list...and a full KoAloha as well as that Spruce Opio are on my list.

As long as a loud ukulele doesn’t bother you, you will love the Opio.

However, I’m not sure that I would classify the Opio as expensive when the full KoAloha of your same desired configuration would be at least $1100.

I haven't tried the acacia opio, but they have a couple spruce top acacia backed tenor opio's at Island Bazaar in HB and they are spectacular. I prob have 6 Hawaiian Koalohas and with my eyes closed those spruce opios sound just as good. The fit and finish is great and they are loud, they feel great and are wonderful. I brought one around that shop during a jam showing people how bitchin' they are. If I was told that they were made at the Koaloha shop in Hawaii, I would have absolutely believed it. I've already started savin' up...

First off, thanks for your comments folks, I appreciate you taking the time. :cool:

####
Is there anyone in your area or a store that carries the Opio line? Or even the KoAloha line? If you can, you should play one in person.......There was some talk here on UU about some people being unhappy with the Acacia models.....
My ukulele collection is getting close to having 20 instruments...this wasn’t intentional. Most of them were inexpensive or free. I have a couple of high quality mid-priced instruments...a Pono and the Opio; and a number of excellent less expensive instruments such as my Bonanza Amoeba Tenor.
As long as a loud ukulele doesn’t bother you, you will love the Opio.
However, I’m not sure that I would classify the Opio as expensive.....
Unfortunately, I have to buy online.

Unhappy with the KoAloha acacia, doesn't sound good.

I was at just below 20 myself, so gave away 6 of mine to a care home, mainly just starter ukes, but perfectly playable. ;)

I don't want anything too loud, but after something a bit brighter than mahogany.
(I already have a spruce that I quite like).

Expensive is an opinion based on what can be afforded. :)

####

I decided to go with a concert scale Kala acacia, more in my personal price range, & I think will give me a little bit more brightness, without overdoing it.

Top Bottom