Ukulele aquarium

How do you clean it? Heat it?

Even though Betta Splendens (Siamese Fighting Fish) need little in the way of filtration or oxygen, this is going to be VERY difficult to keep clean, and without the fish falling out during when you dump the dirty water and add new clean water.

I speak from experience of having bred Oscars, Fancy Goldfish, Guppies, and Bettas, and keeping 20 large fishtanks going for over 15 yrs...yes - another hobby - another lifetime - and, no, I dont have this hobby any more...

With Bettas, you need to change about 50% of the water every day, and do not feed more than 'a pinch' each day. Otherwise if you feed too much, and lapse on the water changes, the water becomes toxic to the fish due to the increasing ammonia concentration in the water that comes both from the fish waste (toilet) and the dissolved food particles.

Also, these Betta Splendens cannot be left alone for a week without maintenance, for even 5 days is enough to make the fish sick from ammonia (nitrogen) poisoning if no water changes are done, and it can take even only 1 day after that for the fish to die.

I know that 'it's only a dumb fish' to some of you, but it IS a living thing, and all life should be respected.

As with ANY kind of pet, proper care is required...

FYI:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siamese_fighting_fish

https://www.thespruce.com/siamese-fighting-fish-bettas-1378308

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co....requently-asked-questions-on-siamese-fighters

My betta is now 3 years old and still full of spice jumping at my fingers when I go to feed him. My maintenance routine is nowhere near as vigorous as Booli's described above. I have 2.5 gallon tank with a heater but no filtration. I change 50-70 percent of the water once a week. I've gone as long as two weeks with no water change on multiple occasions. That did worry me a bit so after one of the two week lapses I took a sample of the water into the pet store to be tested and they said that the water tested just fine, the ammonia levels were still low. I feed him either tiny pellets and/or dried bloodworms once or twice a day. I feed them to him one at a time so I'm certain there is no waste drifting to the bottom. If that uke aquarium is a real deal it is going to be quite the pain to clean when algae starts growing on the inside.

My betta is now 3 years old and still full of spice jumping at my fingers when I go to feed him. My maintenance routine is nowhere near as vigorous as Booli's described above. I have 2.5 gallon tank with a heater but no filtration. I change 50-70 percent of the water once a week. I've gone as long as two weeks with no water change on multiple occasions. That did worry me a bit so after one of the two week lapses I took a sample of the water into the pet store to be tested and they said that the water tested just fine, the ammonia levels were still low. I feed him either tiny pellets and/or dried bloodworms once or twice a day. I feed them to him one at a time so I'm certain there is no waste drifting to the bottom. If that uke aquarium is a real deal it is going to be quite the pain to clean when algae starts growing on the inside.

I'm glad your routine is working out well. Your choice of food has a lot to do with your success, as well as the pH and hardness of your water. Most freshwater fish will do well with a pH from 6.8-7.2, but ammonia in too high concentration will sink that down to a pH of 5.0 in a few days, which also will stress the fish, and when the fish is stressed, it can die very easily.

The time span between water changes is based upon the total volume of water and how much waste the fish and food will generate in 24hrs, measured in ppm (parts-per-million).

A small jar or bowl, or less than 1 gallon volume of water will taint and become poisonous to most aquarium fish MUCH sooner than say a 10-gallon, 30-gallon or 100-gallon tank. Larger volumes of water will have a lower concentrate of ammonia and nitrogen waste.

An excessive amount of the ammonia and nitrogen waste can also reduce the capacity of the water to hold oxygen. Most fish need to breath the oxygen from the water, via their gills the same way we use our lungs.

Bettas are a family of fish that has a breathing spout in the top of their heads, and primarily take oxygen out of the air, as opposed to most other aquarium fish that filter it through their gills.

Because of this anatomical difference, they can live longer in smaller volumes of water, and water that is tainted that would kill most other freshwater aquarium fish.

The wiki link has lots of info (in my post above).

Je comprend pas tout ce que vous dites il n'y a pas de problème pour nettoyer l'eau se vide par le sillet et j'ai juste à le re remplir. J'ai plusieurs poisson combattant et il n'y a pas de problème se poisson ce sentira bien dans ce Ukulele aquarium. J'ai eu beaucoup d'animaux dont un caméléon furcifer pardalis.

J'utilise un aquarium avec la même contenance en eau sans système de filtration .

You may have just started a new trend..... ;)

Back in the 1970s, Mason Williams had a classical guitar made from Plexiglas that he "finger-synced" to play on a show called "Just Friends". Apparently, it was an accurately made, playable instrument, but the top was so thick there was no resonation - he likened it to playing an electric guitar that wasn't plugged in.
mason williams.jpg

On at least one other occasion, he filled the guitar with water and goldfish for a Smothers Brothers show in 1974. (Sorry, no photo of that...)

For more info, see Mason William's Biography, on line: http://www.masonwilliams-online.com/mwguitarbio05.pdf )

J'utilise google pour traduire - J'essaie seulement d'offrir de l'aide. Je vous souhaite la bonne chance au poisson à l'intérieur de l'ukulélé. Désolé si je semble trop inquiété.

~

I am using google to translate - I am only trying to offer help. I wish you the best of luck with the fish inside the ukulele. Sorry if I seem to worried.

This is a cute idea but the space looks too small for the fish and there is nothing in it, no pebbles, plants etc.

Je vous donne des nouvelles de mon poisson et il se porte bien !

Je vous donne des nouvelles de mon poisson et il se porte bien !

Merci pour la mise à jour. Bonne chance à vous et à vos poissons.
~
Thanks for the update. Good luck to you and your fish.

Incredibly, you should be able to commercialize an ukulele-style aquarium business idea and be sure to add water treatment chemicals to your aquarium to get rid of viruses and bacteria.

Back in the 1970s, Mason Williams had a classical guitar made from Plexiglas that he "finger-synced" to play on a show called "Just Friends". Apparently, it was an accurately made, playable instrument, but the top was so thick there was no resonation - he likened it to playing an electric guitar that wasn't plugged in.
The water-filled one in the OP was very resonant! It must have been recorded with reverse SONAR.

Last edited:
Top Bottom