Song Help Request transposing Abm to key of C

Thanks for that help, Jim. I actually am aware of this quirk of mine. I've had it for about 40 years now! For me, the note between G and F is F#, and I have to pause and think whenever someone says Gb. I know better, but just get sloppy. Thanks for the reminder and thanks for your past advice on double-stops. Both have been very useful.

Studying the replies here again, this time to attempt to understand how C# becomes A, and where we see that on a physical Circle of 5ths (if we do). So, a thanks again for having all this here, that I could come back to it all as needed!

I'm going to write out all twelve chromatic notes for every scale, and try out the other tips posted above, to see if that helps me get it.

We need to know from what key you are transposing C# to the other key and it's name too.

If it is about transposing from E major to C major, this is so easy to explain:
Looking at the circle of fifths (you don't need your deluxe one, just some in the internet as a picture :) ):

You will see that C#m is under E in that circle. Always look at those 6 degrees you see. They are the base of your transposing. I refer to my previous post rather than want add any no needed information. Chords not belonging to those 6 degrees I myself transpose related, use fretboard etc. rather than some mechanical transposing tool that does not add any knowledge and you will always be just keeping rotating mechanically.

So now it is C# instead what you want to transpose. Forget about if it is major instead minor. So you will find Am under C in the fifths circle at the same relative place. Just think it as a major chord in this case.

Last edited:
Just noticed below croaky keith is right EM AbM in the key of E is an accidental

Regards overthehillphil75

Top Bottom