Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beads anyone?

Default Beads anyone?

It's pretty common to use beads of some type on the end of your strings when stringing up a through-bridge uke. I went looking for some the other day, and came across these on Amazon. They're 6 mm in diameter, but more important, they have a hole through the middle that allows you to mount them with just a simple stopper knot, AND the whole is just big enough for even a Low G string (I checked).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought a whole vial from Wal-Mart for $1.70. On some forums, people argue that you shouldn’t use beads because they cause a buzz—no such problem on my string through ukuleles—but people are entitled to believe what they want.
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
    I bought a whole vial from Wal-Mart for $1.70. On some forums, people argue that you shouldn’t use beads because they cause a buzz—no such problem on my string through ukuleles—but people are entitled to believe what they want.
    True....but with MY beads (which are FAR SUPERIOR!) you only have to tie a stopper knot in the string. With your Wally beads you have to use a double half hitch or a granny knot. Many of us are "knot" that clever! ; )

(It's a slow night when we're posting about beads.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gidU...ature=youtu.be

I just make a knot. Beads are too fiddly.
    Kiwaya KTS-6
    Enya X1 soprano
    Kiwaya KTC-2
    Ohana BK20

Quote Originally Posted by Ziret View Post
    Well that's what I tried on my recently acquired Enya EUT-X1, but apparently the bridge plate was way too soft, and it took me 20 minutes to get the knots unstuck when I tried to change the strings. So that's why I bought the beads. If a knot works, great. But unless it came from the factory that way I'd be leery now of using just a knot for fear it would get stuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by besley View Post
    It's pretty common to use beads of some type on the end of your strings when stringing up a through-bridge uke. I went looking for some the other day, and came across these on Amazon. They're 6 mm in diameter, but more important, they have a hole through the middle that allows you to mount them with just a simple stopper knot, AND the whole is just big enough for even a Low G string (I checked).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Thanks for posting this. I don't use through bridge stringing at the moment but am wondering about converting one of my cheaper Ukes to try it out (some folk recon it improves the sound) and it's useful to have it available as an option for a worn slotted bridge too.

Knots are not something that I have to use with my bridges at the moment and I wouldn't be able to do the required thick knots without a lot of research. To me the beads seem to be a better solution than big knots because they must spread the string tension load on the underside of the sound board more equally and are unable to dig into the soundboard area in the same way as a knot could. YMMV, etc.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 09-22-2017 at 10:58 PM.

I prefer tie bridges, & you can always tie a knot or put a bead on the end of the string, if that takes your fancy.

I've heard rumours that through bridge/body is a better way of attaching strings, but I don't think it matters much with the tension of uke strings.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.
    Formerly known as uke1950.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziret View Post

Or too ukulelely.
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
    Or too ukulelely.
    Very good! Took me a second.
    Robert Edney
    Robert@ElixirViolins.com

Much more interested in playing the ukulele than making violins just now...

Ever since my first uke where I saw the grooves cut into the rosewood of the tie-bridge, I have knotted the strings, and then fed them through small beads, and then into the holes and over the saddle, yes EVEN on a tie-bridge, and NOT tied over the bridge as is the expected use-case.

This also increases the string-break angle from the back of the saddle into the hole adjacent, and has worked very well for me for over 4 yrs now.

A huge plus is that if I want to swap the strings out for another set during my string testing, or move the strings to another uke, I do not have to deal with the mess of the twists that remain after taking them off a tie-bridge (and end up just cutting them off) and losing that length of string at the end.

Some folks will complain that this is blasphemy or not 'purist' but I do what suits my needs instead of following the herd.

Beads work REALLY well in all different bridge styles, and for a slotted bridge, I just take the beads off.

The local Michaels craft store has all kinds of beads on a string, either foot-long or 100-count for $2-3 or less depending upon bead diameter and what material it is made of...and the original packs of beads I bought way back still has many left over for future use...

Go use some beads and be happy
    Just the FAQs
    less is more

Thread Information