Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Beads anyone?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Twin Cities Area, Minnesota
    Posts
    1,121

    Default

    Booli...I’ll have to try your bead approach on my next tie bar replacement. The ability to swap strings or to work on a ukulele and restring makes too much sense! Thanks for sharing that!
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

    Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Oop North in England
    Posts
    5,002

    Default

    I use beads on my slotted bridge ukes. I've had problems with the thinner strings pulling through even after tieing a double knot so I slip a bead on to the string and tie a simple knot round it. It works just fine. I've considered using beads on a tie bridge but didn't in the end. Maybe next time one needs a string change, I'll try it.

    I get my beads from Hobbycraft, a UK craft store. They have them in various sizes as beadcraft is quite a popular hobby.
    Geoff Walker

    I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

    at least, not yet.

    I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

    Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tootler View Post
    I use beads on my slotted bridge ukes. I've had problems with the thinner strings pulling through even after tieing a double knot so I slip a bead on to the string and tie a simple knot round it. It works just fine. I've considered using beads on a tie bridge but didn't in the end. Maybe next time one needs a string change, I'll try it.

    I get my beads from Hobbycraft, a UK craft store. They have them in various sizes as beadcraft is quite a popular hobby.
    Thanks for shairing your experience and for the UK supplier details. I recently saw a Luthier built Uke with a messed up slotted bridge and thought it needless damage to an otherwise valuable instrument. Of course a properly made knot will do the job perfectly well but some folk try to get by with half a job and live with the resulting mess and damage. Some folk do have the skills not to need them but for me I think beads would be the most sensible choice and I wonder why they aren't fitted to some slotted bridge Ukes as standard.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 09-23-2017 at 11:18 PM.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    PHX, AZ
    Posts
    1,977

    Default

    Would beads help on wound Strings like a Fremont low G? I struggle with getting a tight-enough knot sometimes with those.
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Oop North in England
    Posts
    5,002

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Greenbag View Post
    Thanks for shairing your experience and for the UK supplier details. I recently saw a Luthier built Uke with a messed up slotted bridge and thought it needless damage to an otherwise valuable instrument. Of course a properly made knot will do the job perfectly well but some folk try to get by with half a job and live with the resulting mess and damage. Some folk do have the skills not to need them but for me I think beads would be the most sensible choice and I wonder why they aren't fitted to some slotted bridge Ukes as standard.
    I tried it after I noticed one of my Brueko ukuleles seemed to have small bead tied into the thinner strings and I thought if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me. I include them on G, E & A strings but not C or lose G where they're not needed. I use fluorocarbon strings which are thinner than nylon/nylgut.
    Geoff Walker

    I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

    at least, not yet.

    I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

    Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, near the Beverly Center.
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    My newest custom uke from Bruce Wei has a narrower nut than I'm used to so I'm going to have a new nut made with slightly wider slots, which requires that the bridge string hole spacing be wider as well. I already decided I'm going to switch to string-through, which I did years ago (see below) using flat plastic discs that I bought at a bead store near me. To be sure the discs lay flat against the underside, I tied enough knots to prevent the string from slipping through the hole.

    Logically to me, stringing through makes more sense since the tension of the string tightens the top and the bridge together, rather than the tension pulling across the bridge with a tendency of the bridge to pull away from the top.



    Last edited by kohanmike; 09-24-2017 at 06:59 AM.


    Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos
    Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, provide ukuleles to kids in hospital music therapy programs.
    Patronize Bruce Wei Arts eBay store/custom shop in Vietnam http://stores.ebay.com/Bruceweiart-M...nstrument-Shop, good products, reasonable price. (Don't heed old reviews, he makes good stuff.)

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    L.A. California
    Posts
    181

    Default

    Great post!
    Love the photos and I like your logic of where to apply force for maximum bridge life.
    That said, I like knots. A lot.

    https://www.netknots.com/rope_knots/stopper-knot
    Playing my Magic Fluke and grinning like a fool!

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Much like Booli, I've decided to use my tie bridge as a string through bridge. In my case I found that after a few hours of play the knots on the top of the tie bridge were really irritating to my right forearm. I'm sure it's just my poor technique, but it was easy enough to just run the strings through the existing holes and tie "Ashley" stopper knots to hold them in place. The knot for the A string is pretty small though, so next time I re-string this uke I'll use at least a couple of those fancy new beads of mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Walla Walla, WA
    Posts
    408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by besley View Post
    Well that's what I tried on my recently acquired Enya EUT-X1, but apparently the bridge plate was way too soft, and it took me 20 minutes to get the knots unstuck when I tried to change the strings. So that's why I bought the beads. If a knot works, great. But unless it came from the factory that way I'd be leery now of using just a knot for fear it would get stuck again.
    That's interesting, and a little disappointing. Thanks for the heads up.
    Kiwaya KTS-6
    Enya X1 soprano
    Kiwaya KTC-2
    Ohana BK20

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    1,258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by igorthebarbarian View Post
    Would beads help on wound Strings like a Fremont low G? I struggle with getting a tight-enough knot sometimes with those.
    Yes, I use beads on those.
    Laura

    Haʻina ʻia mai ana ka puana

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •