Metal Strings?

horsemasterx

Reaction score
My ukulele has a truss rod, and a bridge that uses pins instead of tying a knot. It's a concert sized ukulele. Is it safe to use a bronze guitar string to get a low g?

"Metal" strings can mean a lot of things. I'm assuming it came with some kind of nylon or flourocarbon strings, yes? If so, do not put electric guitar strings on it or steel acoustic guitar strings. Both are designed for much higher tension than an acoustic uke is built for.

There are classical guitar strings that could be safely used as long as you don't overdo it on the tension. These are typically an outer wrapping of metal wound around a nylon core.

"Metal" strings can mean a lot of things. I'm assuming it came with some kind of nylon or flourocarbon strings, yes? If so, do not put electric guitar strings on it or steel acoustic guitar strings. Both are designed for much higher tension than an acoustic uke is built for.

There are classical guitar strings that could be safely used as long as you don't overdo it on the tension. These are typically an outer wrapping of metal wound around a nylon core.
Thank you. I'll have to go shopping. Do you know what string gages I'd need to use classical guitar strings for a ukulele?

Thank you. I'll have to go shopping. Do you know what string gages I'd need to use classical guitar strings for a ukulele?

Just remember that you need the 4th string (low G) of ukulele. You just need to get classical 4th D strings. You can forget "D" but you don't forget 4th then ok.

There are low G strings available, no need to worry about guitar strings, (yet). ;)

(Ukes are lightly built, use fluorocarbon or nylon type strings.)

For low G you have three very good and safe options. Freemont Soloist is probably the best and most well received low G string. There is Thomastik Infeld CF 30 and Oasis make a Smooth wound low G in bright and warm. I guess that makes four. A classical guitar string option I have used a lot and had great succes with is D'Addario NYL030W.

All these single strings can be had at Strings by Mail, Just Strings or Strings and Beyond.

Hello,

On my low-g tenor, I put a classical D string D'addario JD4604C, "hard tension composite". Great sound and great durability, a lifespan of about six months with heavy playing (several hours/day).
Cheers,
Gilles

Last edited:
Top Bottom