Season 293 Fall in to Autumn

Recovering Bassist

Reaction score

Hi everyone, Trent here. This is my first time hosting. Since yesterday was the first day of Autumn for those of us in the northern hemisphere, and since there's never been a previous Season about fall/autumn, that's what this week is gonna be about. Anything and everything pertaining to autumn in any way is fair game. Fall colors, falling leaves, pumpkins, sports, fall activities, fall months, the Autumn of life, the change of weather, harvesting, etc. It can be dominant in the song or just mentioned in passing in a lyric.

I know for those of you in the southern hemisphere it's not Autumn now, but please join in, and if you have any songs that speak of Autumn customs in your part of the world, I'd love to hear them and learn about them.

All the regular rules and times apply. Originals very welcome. Anything goes as far as production of songs and videos as long as a ukulele is used and fall/autumn is mentioned somewhere along the way. No song limit. One more rule, have fun!

The winner will receive their choice of either a hat or a visor from the fine folks at Bonanza Ukuleles, who kindly donated this weeks prize.

Playlist SOTU 293

Great theme, Trent. I'm excited about this season. Now to think about songs...🤔

Do you know, I'd completely forgotten that Autumn had started! Lots of scope here, Trent!

Nice choice, Trent! Look forward to what everyone brings.

I wasn't going to participate this week because it's going to be an insanely busy week. I think I might have something I can whip up quickly though.

such a fun theme. i am looking forward to some autumn melancholy. got a couple ideas already.

I bet we are going to do the same song...

Son of a (&$! This song is right at that point where it feels uncomfortable and sounds strained no matter whether I sing it high like the original or an octave low. Tried transposing, but it stuffs up the chord voicing. Put a capo on the third fret, which makes it comfortable to sing low, but then the uke sounds really high. Can't play with linear tuning because it stuffs up the chord voicing again (okay, I could, but it would take too much working out). This thing is pissing me off!

stay frosty my brother. my first choice was astronomically difficult(Vivaldi's Autumn violin concerto). Luckily I quickly remembered a couple other pieces that are more manageable. Since it has been so long since I played I can't even find my capo!

Son of a (&$! This song is right at that point where it feels uncomfortable and sounds strained no matter whether I sing it high like the original or an octave low. Tried transposing, but it stuffs up the chord voicing. Put a capo on the third fret, which makes it comfortable to sing low, but then the uke sounds really high. Can't play with linear tuning because it stuffs up the chord voicing again (okay, I could, but it would take too much working out). This thing is pissing me off!

Robin, you're overthinking it. Finding a key where your voice is most comfortable is critical. If the chord voicings aren't perfect, so what as long as it harmonises? Listeners won't notice as long as the overall sound is right. You have to learn to live with the limitations of your instrument and make the most of it.

Here's the first from me. I offer up only Dead Leaves as an autumn link, so apologies if it's too tenuous.

Edit: oops, a minute too early

Top Bottom