Season 293 Fall in to Autumn

Thanks Linda, jeez take a break will ya? lol jk The other theme I had in mind for this week I could do anytime, so that's why I went with this in the end. Here's a few links with autumn songs on them for anyone looking for ideas. Some have already been done, which of course can be done again. but plenty haven't. Heck, I'm hoping for someone to do "The wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" this week.

https://www.upvenue.com/article/1862-top-22-songs-that-make-you-hate-autumn-fall-less.html

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/list/7511186/10-best-fall-autumn-songs

http://gb.napster.com/blog/post/the-best-autumn-songs

Here's me wondering if Dead Leaves was gonna count and it's on just about every list I found!

Edit: Ultimate Guitar are also featuring tabs/chordsheets for a dozen or so Autumn songs on their front page if anyone's stuck.

Although, I've always told myself that if I'm going to fork out for a bari, then I might as well get a guitar...

I used to think the same and it was reinforced when I tuned a tenor to dGBE. Then I saw an offer that was too good to resist. (Closing down sale) So I got one and I'm glad I did. It does have more Guitar like sound but not truly like a guitar but there are still only four strings and it's smaller than a guitar.

I like it for finger picked accompaniment and the linear tuning helps there. For strumming I prefer my dGBE tuned tenor as it's reentrant tuned. As I was already used to "baritone chords" the only adjustment was to the larger scale length and, fortunately that turned out not to be a major problem even though I have fairly small hands.

The soundman at an open mike I go to (he's a guitarist) said how he liked the sound of the baritone.

Last edited:
Of Monsters and Men's debut is full of autumn imagery. Melancholy melodies, lyrics full of references to nature, leaves rustling and wind blowing etc, but I found one song that explicitly mentions it.

Kellerman's Anthem

Claire's iPod happened to play this on random play yesterday, and I noticed it has the word "Autumn" in it. Fans of the film Dirty Dancing may recognise it.

The uke, as I mentioned it would be, is tuned BbEbGC.

Well, young Trent:
You mentioned the Autumn of Life idea. Here's a song I wrote with Matt Hicks, the gent in the left of the frame and played with Matt and my bride and bandmate, Terri Thornton at GNUF this June:

I'm with Geoff, young Robin.
There are lots of us here who may have but one Bari and may reach for that one as many times as we do for the others combined. (Perhaps I'm alone in this but I'm on a Bari tear lately although there are lots of other great instruments here including a nice guitar or two. (I do have one guitar sitting out but that's because it's tuned to DADGAD which I'm enjoying learning to play with).

Sally forth to yon Bari purveyor, then. You'll not be sorry.

I used to think the same and it was reinforced when I tuned a tenor to dGBE. Then I saw an offer that was too good to resist. (Closing down sale) So I got one and I'm glad I did. It does have more Guitar like sound but not truly like a guitar but there are still only four strings and it's smaller than a guitar.

I like it for finger picked accompaniment and the linear tuning helps there. For strumming I prefer my dGBE tuned tenor as it's reentrant tuned. As I was already used to "baritone chords" the only adjustment was to the larger scale length and, fortunately that turned out not to be a major problem even though I have fairly small hands.

The soundman at an open mike I go to (he's a guitarist) said how he liked the sound of the baritone.

Here's the first one I thought of.

Greetings,

This song signifies the end of summer, a pretty song by Don Henley. The internet said to tune down 1/2 step so that was something new for me to try. I hope it's right, "The Boys of Summer".

Happy Autumn!

Ciao

I don't know what it says about me that the first song I immediately thought of was this creepy horror story by Blue Oyster Cult. Hey, Halloween is coming!

Sweet Leaf

A strange, delicate song from (former) black metallers Green Carnation, with metaphors any parent will appreciate (and having nothing whatsoever to do with the Black Sabbath paean to weed sporting the same title).

This one popped in my head today, so I did a real quick work up of it. I'm singing this in Neil Sedaka's key, which is high.

Another fantastic day of songs! Thanks so much everyone. Enjoying them all greatly.

Autumn, Edga Winter Green
Jazzbanjorex

Wow, I just barely remember this song. Had forgotten all about it for decades. Thanks for doing it, it's awesome! I love the line about losing both summer and his lover to Autumn. That's tremendous. For not knowing it an hour beforehand you had a good handle on it!

Autumn Leaves
UkeintheHeartofTexas

You know I love the harmony, and this being one of the best songs ever makes this a winner! What kind of tuning are you using here?

293 pays attention
The Cloverdale Kid

Autumn records eh...As if I'm gonna "fall" for that one..Ok, maybe I will. I like the song and your performance, and I was paying attention during it. Heck, had you shouted me out by name this might have been the instant winner for the week! LOL

September When It Comes
Harmony Smurf

Man you're the greatest ventriloquist ever! lol jk New song to me, wow, very deep, and can be interpreted in a few different ways. Very interesting too that Johnny Cash died in September, makes this more haunting. Nice melancholy delivery by you here.

20th CENTURY BABY
BirdsEyeViewOfMyUke

I need to learn more about Marc Bolan, my knowledge is very limited at best, but I like every song you do by him, including this one. It's like it has great pop sensibilities, but always with a cool and unique twist that makes you listen close to it. I like how you worked "uke" into the lyrics too, always a plus! Top job!

Wake Me Up When September Ends
RB Ukulele Vids

Bravo! You got it done, and in fine style! Worth all the frustration eh? This is such a cool song. Your uke sounds fantastic here, wonderful chime to it. Perfect for this song. Nice job too of holding that tempo steady all the way thru!

Susie withers away for season 293
The Cloverdale Kid

Actually, you agonized about it for nothing, because "November", a fall month, is in the lyrics, which makes this automatically 100% legal for the week! Plus, you actually mentioned me by name this time, which was a good move. lol What a cool song! New to me, but I love it. Thanks for bringing it. Awesome uke too!

Golden Loom
Rustyy

Great choice for the week Rusty. I wouldn't have thought of this one. I love the storytelling in this song, and the imagery. I also dig the major chord to the 7th change vibe the dominates this one. Well done sir!

The Fall
Rustyy

New to me, another song with fabulous imagery in it Rusty. Is this song about a real couple you think or about a dream? I am not sure. Interesting tune, thanks for doing it! That uke sounds superb, as always.

January Man
Old Gardener Guy - Finland

New to me, super song! Wow. A man for all seasons, and all elements. Love it, didn't want it to end. What a freaky "fun house" mirror type effect you had going around you too. What sort of a room were you in or was that part of the special effects too? Very cool.

Lakehouse
Ryan Bridgett-Blake

Interesting song, new to me. It seems to be about happier times and memories than what the writer is experiencing now in his or her life. Is that right or no? I like how this song keeps driving along. Very nice, enjoyed it a lot.

Kellerman's Anthem
Jim Avery

New to me, I never saw Dirty Dancing, believe it or not. lol Great song though! Sounds like it would be perfect in an Irish pub, or perhaps any pub. Thanks for doing that interesting tuning. Not sure if it was the tuning, or your uke, or both, but that uke sounds excellent! Nice performance too, though it looked like someone distracted you right at the end. How dare they!

The Latest of Days" Throckmorton Ukulele Band and Matt Hicks
Alan Thornton

Wow! Blown away, but not surprised to be so! What talent. Excellent professional level song here, and terrific performance too. No shortage of beauty anywhere to be found on this one!

Forever Autumn
steve phillips

Absolutely gorgeous song, and absolutely perfect for this week. You sound great. I have heard this one before too! I love the "Those fallen leaves lie undisturbed now". profoundly sad and brilliant writing.

Boys of Summer
Gina S.

I was hoping someone would do this one this week, so yah and thanks! I love this song too. Great job, you have such a cool voice. Love hearing you sing Gina.

If you would have told me before Saturday that I would be covering a Kenny Chesney song, I would have put my last penny on it being "She Thinks my Tractor's Sexy" I guess it's good I never have any money to gamble with. 😂

Last edited:
This may be the end of me. Melissa's favorite song and I went and played it without her...stupid grapes.

Autumn in the UK means Bonfire Night, Nov 5th, when we celebrate (in a strange way) Guy Fawkes, born and raised here in York, who tried to blow up Parliament with a lot of gunpowder. An excuse to let off a load of fireworks.

This song isn't very autumnal at all, but Elvis Costello manages to squeeze in just about every firework/bonfire related analogy going, so I thought it might qualify.

Top Bottom