Season 293 Fall in to Autumn

I was gonna do a song by two artists I really like who are releasing an album this autumn but even though Trent okayed it I decided against it.

But then I remembered one of my favourite songs ever briefly mentions autumn at the end. It's a Powderfinger song, a frequent band in my seasons videos, And the original is a 6 minute epic that sends chills down my spine.

Here I wrestle with it for roughly that long until my phone runs out of storage from all the takes. Been meaning to put together of a cover of this song ever since I first picked up a guitar roughly 10 years ago.

This week's been somewhat busy which is a bit of a pity as I have a few in mind. I've managed to get two done this evening.
There are many traditional songs in which autumn figures, usually round the harvest. This one doesn't but is about the prodigal returning. According to one of my books this song was very popular in Yorkshire (I live in Yorkshire) and you will realise why when you hear the second verse. :)

I was at an open mic last night, so I took the opportunity to try out a couple of songs which fit this season. This is one - written by Paul Simon. Although it never actually mentions autumn, it refers to the changing of the leaves so it's clearly about autumn.

Shakespeare's Sonnet 73 discusses autumn, age, and eternal love. I added a melody. Ukulele and melodica.

Another day in the books, and more wonderful songs! You folks are blowing me away with the quality that keeps pouring in. Thanks for putting so much thought and work in these videos!

The Hallo-Wiener Song (an original for SOTU 293)
The Martins

The wiener dog was the winner! This is absolutely fantastic, loved every second of it. Died at the "Hero sandwich" line, pure genius. You should "relish" this one, it's a keeper for sure! The illustrations were awesome too.

Seasons of My Heart
UkeintheHeartofTexas

I was considering doing this one, so I'm glad you did. Such a strong song, and your singing was great. Jones did this in different keys on different recordings, he did it in C also sometimes. Did you know our boy Jimmy Newman did a super version of this back in the 50's? He sang it in Eb.

Moondance
Rustyy

Yeah Rustyy! You were really in the groove here! This was swingin'! Great song, and very well done. Thanks!

Autumn Leaves - Jazz Standard
Harmony Smurf

Thanks for not resisting! This is really nice. Tasty picking, uke sounds great. Plus I never get tired of this song.

Autumn Leaves An Ed Sheeran Song
lagaringer

I'm beyond thrilled you joined us this week! Such a lovely song and rendition. You have a fantastic voice. Wow, so rich and luxurious. Love the tone of the your uke too. A wonderful addition to this week! Thanks so much!

Try to remember (Sotu 293) second attempt
Old Gardener Guy - Finland

Love it. Both versions worked really well if you ask me. Plus, you managed to check in under 3 minutes again. Nice touch, pa will be proud. Timing is everything they say.

When the leaves are turning...
berni armstrong

Outstanding! I was expecting you to use the term "fall equinox" in your song this week, and was wondering what you'd rhyme with it. Love your song here, I think it worked great. it's interesting about the "rules" that verses need to have the same amount of lines in them, they don't. I mean they can of course, but why is it such a "rule"? I've been in a few band situations where a song had one verse with an extra line, and it always seemed to cause musical chaos. Great playing here, love the lick you put in there throughout the song. Also a super cool and sweet sounding uke, and bonus points for the leaves in your hat. Could that be called "Autumn dandruff"?

Thrilloilogy
Ryan Bridgett-Blake

I can see why you love this song, it's very powerful and interesting. What do you think it's about? I was just reading a site where people were giving their opinions on it. I don't I've ever seen your wife make as many cameos in your videos as she has this week. Great job, enjoyed it. Looks like you got close to the end at least before your phone died.

Spencer The Rover
TootlinGeoff

Wonderful! I was hoping you'd bring some traditional songs, and here my wish has been granted! Thank you. I've heard this song somewhere before, but I can't for the life of me remember where. Guess this tune proves one can go back home again. Well done!

The Leaves That Are Green
TootlinGeoff

This fits the theme of the week perfectly. Nice one. I love the line "Like a poem I was meant to write". A very fine folk song here, and a strong performance of it.

Sonnet 73
Randy McSorley

Brilliant idea with spectacular results Randy! Just great. You and Shakespeare make a strong pairing! I love the C+ chord in it. Nice arrangement, and real nice video too. Super bring for the week! Thanks.

thank you for this week and this lovely theme, brother.
we made a clip for this song earlier in the week,
but decided we preferred our live version more.

This is another of those songs that I probably should have just left alone, but anyway, anyone who dares to listen to this will probably think, "wow, that's not like any Styx song I ever heard." This one was from their second album, Styx II (the one that had "Lady" on it). It was written and sung by John Curulewski. He's the guy who quit the band in the mid 70s and was replaced by Tommy Shaw. I've always liked this song.

293-2

Found this one today. I had all kinds of issues from many takes to the video editing being cantankerous. So much for going to be early tonight. Hey! I got here eventually.

you might just hear my brother snoring from across the house toward the end of the video!

I love Yo La Tengo. I was fighting back a sneeze while playing this--forgive the facial expressions...!

Aloha Season Friends: Here is another song that I have learned that pertains to the Fall Season. It seems to fit for the Season 293 theme of Autumn songs. Seems that the song choices I have picked to learn the last week are about this topic, so it worked out really nicely. I hope you will allow second song from me. Thank you so much for listening.

Autumn always makes me think of mushrooms. I love walking in the woods at this time of year and looking out for the many and varied funghi you see. Sometimes I'll take my field guide, but usually I forget it. Occasionally I can identify some mushrooms. I don't pick, and I don't eat em. Hence this mushroom themed epic......

I am actually working on another original, but this popped into my head so I ran with it...

I was in two minds whether to add this one as I have done it twice before. It was one I did at an open mic on Tuesday. All the performances at that open mic are video'd and posted on You Tube. I downloaded from You Tube to post on here and had a bit of trouble with the re-upload as it kept hanging so I reprocessed it through my video editor, adding some closing credits and it then uploaded no problem.

A magnificent song from Robbie Burns. Although it says August in his original poem all the imagery says it's about Autumn. After all, autumn comes earlier, the further north you go. I forgot, it does refer to Autumn in the last verse.

Last edited:
here's one in the category "way too ambitious; bloody hell what have I done, three nights in a row, ah come on... and what are those dogs doing there? should I animate a couple more? I'm going to bed."...

It's the Dusty Springfield song. I've been posting it on Facebook on September 21 for years now. It's such a pretty song. We tried to make it our own. Thanks for hosting a lovely season and for having a listen. Cheers from the Netherlands.

Last edited:
Greetings,

There are times I wish I had multi tracking, production equipment, pretty vids to put with, etc and on and on. Alas I do not have that - however I did practice this song for HOURS to get one take. So here goes a Guns n Roses Classic " November Rain " with chords that were not on my chord chart. No idea what they were.

:)

Ciao

Top Bottom