Season 293 Fall in to Autumn

Another day of fabulous entries! So many great ones keep coming in. We've had some new people joining us, big big welcome to them, more awesome originals, and even a killer instrumental I coaxed out of Limousin Lil! Doesn't get much better!

Seasons
The Martins

I like this a lot! Thanks for doing it. It's weird how some songs take me so many more takes than others. Not sure how many this one took, but you sound good.

Purple Heather/Wild Mountain Thyme
Linda Louden

I'm sure glad you decided to pick up that gorgeous uke and regale us with this stunner! Wow, love everything about this. Great playing, singing, lovely harmony, and a perfect choice for the week. Thanks Linda, this is a major league entry!

293 one for the trimmigrants and the great unwashed
The Cloverdale Kid

Never heard the term "trimmigrants" before, or considered there being migrant workers for harvesting marijuana. I'm assuming they don't have to pass a drug screen.... You sure didn't go to pot on this one! Fine job, very catchy song.

Cool September Rain (original)
UkeintheHeartofTexas

The first song you ever wrote! Wow, thanks for doing it again this week. It's great! I could really visualize what you were singing about as it went along. You've been writing quality songs for a long time Alan!

SEPTEMBER GURLS
BirdsEyeViewOfMyUke

New one to me, good song. Sounds tailor made for your style! Boys are gonna "fall" for those September Gurls every time!

Autumn to Spring
pabrizzer

This song and video could be shown to children in schools to teach them the process of nature. Outstanding pa! Super playing, singing and lyrics. Great video accompaniment as well.

Harvest Gypsies
One Man And His Uke

What a song! Love the title "Harvest gypsies". When I was a kid migrant workers were held in such disdain, the lowest of the low, yet where would those that knocked them be without them? Always struck me odd when I'd hear people talk bad about migrant workers, yet complain about prices at the grocery store. Awesome bring for the week, love your picking on this one. Thanks!

AUTUMN LEAVES" (Ukulele instrumental????)
Limousin Lil

This is so lovely Val! Seriously! Look at the rave reviews! The people already want more. Thanks so much for indulging me with this fine selection. You're a good sport, and a good ukulele player! Stepping out of a comfort zone is never easy, major kudos!

OCTOBER
BirdsEyeViewOfMyUke

This week is the first time I've ever heard this song, but I really like it! Thanks for bringing it Lynda! You've brought so much great material this week, both covers and your originals. Much appreciated!

Heading for the Fall
berni armstrong

Two Berni originals in one week! What a treat, and what a story song here! Wow, I love that you aren't afraid to tackle such bold, and even tawdry, subject matter head on! It's refreshing, odd as that may sound. Not PC I guess is what I mean, in a good way. A childhood in west Africa, interesting life you've led! I dig the bluesy rock minor chord feel of this one too.

Do It Again - Original Song
Tomcat Wombat

Great song! What a sweet tribute to your wife. I like the Americana feel to this song. Catchy tune, and an enjoyable listen. Thanks for bringing it, fits in great.

Autumn of my life
tippytoetoli

You're right, this song needed to be here this week! It's awesome, and a great performance here. Love your singing! Thanks for bringing this, great addition!

The Wicklow HIlls
james donal faulkner

What an interesting song! Love it, fine singing and playing too. Thanks so much for joining us this week, please do so more if you can! You have talent. Like tippytoetoli said, those must be big hills to be able to wander them for 10 years!

Raking Up Leaves
UkeintheHeartofTexas

Thanks for doing it! It's so perfect for this week. I agree though, it's an unusual Tom T Hall song. I see it was released in 1996, so not during his peak, but it's really a sweet song. You did it great.

Ok, so let me explain how this song is related to Autumn. Every Fall, (usually in September) elementary students around the world celebrate International Dot Day. Teachers and librarians read Peter Reynold's classic picture book The Dot. The kids make their own dots in their own creative ways, and after Emily Aarow wrote this song a few years ago, students have been singing the song and doing the hand motions as well. We make a big deal of it at our school, so Dot Day means fall for us.

Sorry my kids got a little violent with each other. It happens.

having brought september and october songs, i thought i'd complete the set and bring something november-y, and inspired by val's wonderful instrumental, i thought i'd bring an instrumental too, although sadly mine is not wonderful :(

"november"

with some autumnal beachside video

Very nice, autumnal instrumental by Limousin Lil - can't quite work out how to link this to her post, though

Nice and peaceful.

You are far too generous, James ... but I DO appreciate your kind comments! (If you want to comment on a post here you just have to click on the "play on YouTube" link at the righthand bottom corner of the vid. as shown on this site* to go to the original YT post and then you can leave a comment underneath.)

*This appears when you click on the red arrow and start playing the vid.

Last edited:
Something that occurred in Autumn, apparently...

now to watch the AFL Grand Final

A ukulele instrumental in which I punch the ukulele in the dick for SOTU 293
featuring a kaleidoscopic view of the golden apples of the sun, which just happen
to be growing in my back yard.

We've had some poetry this season, Randy doing a Shakespeare sonnet and Pa doing Longfellow. When I saw the theme I was initially planning to follow suit and put Keats' "To Autumn" to music. It's a poem I like a great deal. Anyway, that idea morphed into doing an original about a boy making himself a bit more "cultured" in order to impress a girl. It's called "I'm Reading 'To Autumn' By John Keats". Incidentally, the song is based on actual events that happened to me.......well, apart from the balalaika playing neighbour, and learning a famous poem to impress her, none of that happened.....but I do have a library card.

Good Day, I've never entered a song into the Seasons before, I don't really know what I'm doing for sure, but I think I'm on the right track.
Someone will let me know if I need to do something differently I expect, seems like a good community here, so I'll just enter a song and be done with it, first time ever, one for the fall ...
This is a song called "Four Strong Winds" written by Ian Tyson , later also famously done by Neil Young ...
I've covered the Neil Young version on my Uke ... I've been intending to pick this song up for a while, so seems like a good opportunity, I just searched the chords and lyrics yesterday for this version. Hope you enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-vH9GNKW_0

It's Spring here, but I'll pretend it's Autumn for today .. Does this mean I'm a Seasonista now ?

Happy Ukeing :)

Last edited:
And once more Forever Autumn, this time in the La Wolf (Lagaringer and me) multitrack version.

Just back from camping in the Adirondacks, where I saw a leaf or 2, but next week and after would have been much better for color viewing. (most colors I see are conjured from what people tell me they are, so I could, in theory, enjoy them anytime!)

I was happy to see the theme and that the season is going great, Trent, with both seasoned and newbie-ish "Istas" joining in.
I hope to contribute, but I really want to relax and enjoy the entries first!
~ Dick

Just back from camping in the Adirondacks, where I saw a leaf or 2, but next week and after would have been much better for color viewing. (most colors I see are conjured from what people tell me they are, so I could, in theory, enjoy them anytime!)

I was happy to see the theme and that the season is going great, Trent, with both seasoned and newbie-ish "Istas" joining in.
I hope to contribute, but I really want to relax and enjoy the entries first!
~ Dick

I thought about you the other day Dick, wondering what you were up to, and hoping you were doing well! Thanks for checking in. Yes, this has been a very fun week for me, even more than I was expecting. There's a whole lot of great entries to listen to for sure, but of course feel free to contribute if you want!

No one's dared cover this yet, for all the obvious reasons. So I did. A few flubs on the chords changes, and my voice is what it is, but this is actually fun to play. And it's a gorgeous early fall day here.

I'm so excited and happy about this one WS64! It was fun getting back up in the saddle and doing another La Wolf song. I have missed our music and this was a perfect song to come back with. Thank you! Kale'a (lagaringer).
And once more Forever Autumn, this time in the La Wolf (Lagaringer and me) multitrack version.

This will be my last one for this season. (9 is enough, right?) When I was watching the Dot Song trying to figure out the chords, I discovered this little gem that is absolutely perfect for this season. It's based on a book that I've always really liked called Little Tree by Loren Long. In the book, a little tree is afraid to drop his leaves when it's time to, and as a consequence, he can't grow with all of the other trees. He just stays little until he finally decides to let his leaves go. I'm really happy about coming across it, and I'm going to read the book and play the song for my preschool classes next week. I hope you enjoy it!

Okay, sorry youtube it wasn't your fault, it was my old, old Mac. Sadly it not longer shares it's movies. Now back to my tablet which just looks weird. Next purchase, laptop but maybe not 'til Christmas.

Here is my version of this White Stripes song:

Here's an original for the Season. Uke, melodica, and a clave/chopstick combo.

Another day with more great entries, the hits just keep coming this week! Thanks so much everyone, still another day to go!

Autumn Tree
UkeintheHeartofTexas

New to me, excellent song! Sad one for sure. Nice performance. You've found some real gems this week Alan! Thanks!

The Dot Song
The Martins

This is too cute! Your daughter is a percussionist, only that she uses her brother to keep the "beat" on! But only when he dared try to interrupt the proceedings! The face dots are awesome, I wanna call her "Dottie" now. lol Enjoyed this greatly!

NOVEMBER (homemade instrumental)
BirdsEyeViewOfMyUke

This is most certainly NOT rubbish! You ladies are showing instrumental prowess this week, which has become a big unexpected perk! I love it. Now, we just need to work on your instrumental self esteem! lol One thing though, Autumn ends on December 21st, so you have not yet actually completed the months of Autumn "set"......

Stagger Lee
Rustyy

Go Rustyy! Never considered this being an Autumn song, but you're right, the way it starts off, it is one! Always liked this song, and liked Lloyd Price. So thanks for bringing this, a nice change of pace.

C-beams at the the Tannhäuser Gate
Old Gardener Guy - Finland

Wow! Freaky yet enjoyable! Are those golden delicious apples or something a little different? They look a little different than the golden delicious here, which have always been pretty much my favorite. What kind of effects are you using to get those sounds out of the uke? Very interesting song and video. You have the distinction of being the 100th song of this week btw.

I'm Reading 'To Autumn' By John Keats
One Man And His Uke

Wow!!! Excellent rocker! You outdid yourself with this one! Great lyrics and dynamics in this song. Loved every second of it! I'd like to see you work up a "full band" version of this. This is a keeper no doubt. You're right too about folks putting poetry to music here this week, they're trying to make me cultured!

Four Strong Winds
Dean Beaver

Welcome Dean! Great debut! This is a good community here indeed, please participate more when you can! Great song for the week, and nicely done. I like the high range and character in your voice a lot. Brilliant exit at the end too. You folks in the southern hemisphere do have to pretend it's Autumn this week, but you're all doing a very fine job of it!

La Wolf: Forever Autumn
WS64

I am simply amazed by the level of talent here! This is so gorgeous and spectacular. Brilliant singing and playing. Incredible arrangement too, love how this was out together. How long does it take you folks to do something like this from start to finish? Thanks so much for this 2nd version. Enjoyed it immensely!

Warning: LOTR refs
Rick Henderson

Would you believe I've never heard this song before? Well, believe it! lol It's a good one. Enjoyed it.Heck, this could easily be turned into a country song. Thanks for doing it on this nice fall day.

Little Tree
The Martins

Thanks so much for all your contributions this week, they've been terrific! I remember the TV show "Eight is enough", and you trumped that with 9 this week! lol Fun song here, with a great message to it. I could see kids liking it, heck I like it! Very infectious.

We are gonna be friends
e san

Glad you got this one in! Love Jack White, and love this song. You always do such sweet versions of songs. Very nice listen here.

Fall Fondly
Randy McSorley

Wow Randy, this is wonderful! This took me immediately back to when I was a kid, and what it was like in the fall. Totally related to it. Great writing, and I like the percussion and solo you put in too. All nice touches!

Top Bottom