Season 293 Fall in to Autumn

have you got a bari? *UAS WARNING* do you NEED a bari?

even if it's not something you'd use all the time, having both dgbe and gcea instruments lying about the place is so handy - if you're playing one, it's so easy to grab the other tuning and get an automatic transpose, without changing chord shapes or putting on a capo. changing instruments in either direction, bari dgbe to gcea, or gcea to bari dgbe, gives you something in-between-y of a full octave voice jump. of course i love bari and am therefore a bit biased, but hey, you know <fab excuse to buy a new uke> and you don't have to spend a fortune, everyone who has the makala bari, it seems to sound REALLY good, and i think that baby is pretty much the cheapest one you can get?
This is the first time I've found myself wanting one. Although, I've always told myself that if I'm going to fork out for a bari, then I might as well get a guitar...

BTW, capo 3 gives you Eb6 tuning which was quite often found in 1920s sheet music. I have a tutor from the 1930s which gives BbEbGC as one of the standard tunings. Capo 3 on a tenor probably gives a scale length not too far different from a soprano.

I'll be bringing a song in Eb6 tuning (on a soprano) tomorrow. The tune is scored in Ab Major so the chords are a lot easier in Eb tuning than C or D.

I was going to cheat a little and play it on D6 tuning, but just for you I'll dig out my uke tuned to Eb6.

As it happens I have a PDF of the published sheet music for "(I Love to Play) My Ukulele" by Roy Irwin, and recorded by Max Bygraves which even as late as 1958 was notated for ukulele in BbEbGC tuning.

This song was written 1959 and has been a hit several times. A terrific Tin Pan Alley song of teenage angst.

Yesterday I started feeling like I might be coming down with a cold, and if it sets in like a real cold I might be able to sing too well by the end of the week, so I worked on this one all day today to get it finished. I hope it fits the autumn mood.

Thanks for making my first day of hosting so fun and successful everyone! I've really enjoyed every entry so far, they've all been great. There's been several originals already. I'm amazed people can crank out quality original material that quickly. Kudos! Looking forward to what the rest of the week brings! BTW, there's still a few hours left in One Man And His Uke's 80's synth pop Season if anyone takes a notion to do more there.

Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground
Ryan Bridgett-Blake

This song crossed my mind when selecting the theme, so it totally fits Ryan. The genius of Jack White, and you captured it nicely here. Sweet playing and singing. Thanks for bringing it!

Wake Me Up When September Ends
Ryan Bridgett-Blake

This was such a giant hit, and means different things to different people it seems. It's one of those songs people use as a "theme" for various events that mean a lot to them. I love the pace and melancholy of it. Excellent choice and performance sir.

Autumn Leaves
Old Gardener Guy - Finland

Yes! This was an absolute must for the week, and you did a wonderful rendition of it here. Love the video as well, a perfect accompaniment. I know this song has been recorded by a vast array of artists, but I tend to associate most with Nat King Cole and Sinatra for whatever reason.

Killing The Blues
Turtledrum

Such a lovely and relaxing mood you created here Linda. I love the melody of this song. Super bring for this week, both the song and video are outstanding. Your ukulele sounds awesome, love the solo.

Last Leaf on the Tree
pabrizzer

Wow pa, you blew me away with this one! Never heard it before, this is like the perfect song for survival. A real masterpiece. Your performance had me hanging on every word. Thank you!

October
Wim van Ommen

When I was looking at Autumn songs for this week, I saw this title and said to myself Wim is gonna do this song for sure, and you did not disappoint! Hadn't heard it before, it's an interesting tune. I love the "When the trees are stripped bare of all the wear" line. Brilliant. Thanks for bringing it!

North country girl
Rick Henderson

I've never thought of this as an Autumn song, but you're right that it mentions the end of summer, so that makes it legal for this week. Plus, it's one of my favorite songs. I did this one on Keith's "Men in black" Season, cause Cash did a duet on this one with Dylan. To me this is the perfect song for a folk festival, or a coffeehouse. I like the pace you did this at, had me head bobbing with it.

autumn
lumpywafflesquirt

I expect this song to be done several times this week. This song has such an awesome melody, and you demonstrated that wonderfully here Lumpy. I like the uptempo version too, had me tapping my toe along with it. What kind of a uke are you playing here? It looks a lot like my Caramel sopranino. Thanks for the song and video!

We Are Going to Be Friends
The Martins

Jack White is already well represented here this week! I love this song too, and you captured it so nicely. Really enjoyed your performance, great choice!

Party, My House, Be There
The Martins

New song to me, but it fits perfectly! Thanks for bringing this one. Your tap dancing monkey is a show stealer, who is clearly not afraid of the spotlight. Too cute, smiling big all the way thru it here. Plus, I laughed out loud when I noticed the banana on her sleeve toward the end.

November
Randy McSorley

Tom Waits is another artist already well represented here this week. Wow Randy! New one on me, what a wonderfully dark song to capture a mood so perfectly. Super performance. I loved when the drum beat and keyboard came in for big dramatic effect. Gripping.

We All Got to Fall
pabrizzer

Brilliant pa, right in your wheelhouse, and the sentiments are correct, but hopefully no time soon! I got a chill when that harmonica suddenly came in. Great playing! Thanks for the original!

October Song approx
weegingayin Scottish Ukulele player

What a wonderful video, those apples look delicious, especially with dew and/or rain on them, and the heart made out of apples at the end was amazing to see! Great song to accompany it too! Excellent work all the way around here wee! Thank you!

Relax, Autumn is Here
Ryan Bridgett-Blake

I laughed at that first line! lol Love the verse about the changes in your life, deep stuff. Fine rocker here! I really like the lick you put with it too. Thanks for an original, great job!

AUTUMN SUN - homemade song
BirdsEyeViewOfMyUke

Very catchy tune! Great crisp energy to your singing, and that uke sounds wonderfully zingy. Love it! Thanks for doing an original!

The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything
The Martins

You're on fire this week! You two sure did something here! How many people can say they uploaded a video of themselves singing and playing ukulele with a super cute tap dancing girl front and center! Very few indeed! Awesome song too. Loved it.

SEPTEMBER IN THE RAIN
Limousin Lil

Outstanding bring for the week Val! Sweetly sung and played. I sure hope things become much less "taxing" for you soon! If you can do another later in the week, that would be great. Looking this up a bit I see the Beatles did a rock-n-roll version of this song in 1962. Love your quote at the end here too!

september song
Stanley Russell

I could listen to you sing all day Stan! You're so good. This song is spot on for this week, and right up your alley, and you nailed it. Thanks!

A Trampled Rose
pabrizzer

You guys are giving me a Tom Waits schooling this week, and I'm loving every second of it! Such strong songs, wow. The recorder works to great tasty effect here. Nicely done. I played the recorder for awhile in grade school, this made me want to play one again.

See You In September
Randy McSorley

You know what I like! Was singing along with you most of the way. I love the chord structure and melody of this song, so seamless. Great one Randy!

The Coyotes Call (original)
UkeintheHeartofTexas

Wow, love everything about this one Alan. Great deep lyrics, dig the tempo. I was real happy when I heard the harmony come in, love the coyotes call sound too. This is a home run. Hope you feel better soon.

Had to do it. Ukulele players behaving badly.
1965 The Tikis Pay Attention To Me. Autumn records

sorry for my sibalants. I dropped the frequency by 16db but I think it is still a slight problem. I could just be self conscious though. :D

I've always told myself that if I'm going to fork out for a bari, then I might as well get a guitar...
:eek:

:stop:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

4 strings good, 6 strings mind-bendingly awkward!!!!

yes a dgbe bari uke has a more guitar-y sound but thank goodness it still only has 4 strings, and all the chord shapes are exactly the same as gcea, just with a different name, and it's half the size of a geeeeeeeeeeeeeetar, AND you can bring it to the seasons!!!!!!

bari uke = :love:

ok, here is a marc bolan song that mentions autumn! :rock:

I went the capo route. Not the best rendition, but it will have to do. It's going to be a crazy week.

This is the first time I've found myself wanting one. Although, I've always told myself that if I'm going to fork out for a bari, then I might as well get a guitar...

I couldn't agree more with Lynda on this one, Robin! Yes ... a baritone uke has the top four strings of a guitar; but it is NOTHING like playing a guitar; and, really, sounds nothing like a guitar (you're missing two bass strings!) I was originally intimidated by the different chord shapings on the baritone, but now I prefer playing baritones to standard ukes. (Oh, and I have two guitars ... neither of which I can play!)

Val's Baritone is particularly nice and she should send it to me...
But I digress. Trent, I am trying here. In this song, summer and winter are mentioned explicitly, but because it is about the passage of time, I do believe autumn is implied. In fact, we voted here in the Dale and decided indeed this song is about fall. That counts right?
Black-eyed Susie. Justin Townes Earle

This one from the "Desire" sessions gives Autumn a mention in the first line

Val's Baritone is particularly nice and she should send it to me...
But I digress. Trent, I am trying here. In this song, summer and winter are mentioned explicitly, but because it is about the passage of time, I do believe autumn is implied. In fact, we voted here in the Dale and decided indeed this song is about fall. That counts right?
Black-eyed Susie. Justin Townes Earle

MR. LAURICE ... will you please give me one good reason why I should send you my Big Bari!!!! (And this is a good song ... just had a listen!)

Glad to see you doing this theme Trent and that it is taking off so well. I went back and forth with this theme idea too. Someone needed to do it. I hope I can find a moment this week to search out something. Last week it wasn't until the theme was nearly over before I could even look at the theme. This week is another busy one and so will the following week :/ Life!

Hope all is well with everyone :)

See you when I have a chance to take a breath!

I stumbled across this one by the Black Lillies, and not only mentions "fall", but it is called "The Fall". I'm not sure why???

Glad to see you doing this theme Trent and that it is taking off so well. I went back and forth with this theme idea too. Someone needed to do it. I hope I can find a moment this week to search out something. Last week it wasn't until the theme was nearly over before I could even look at the theme. This week is another busy one and so will the following week :/ Life!

Hope all is well with everyone :)

See you when I have a chance to take a breath!

Thanks Linda, jeez take a break will ya? lol jk The other theme I had in mind for this week I could do anytime, so that's why I went with this in the end. Here's a few links with autumn songs on them for anyone looking for ideas. Some have already been done, which of course can be done again. but plenty haven't. Heck, I'm hoping for someone to do "The wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" this week.

https://www.upvenue.com/article/1862-top-22-songs-that-make-you-hate-autumn-fall-less.html

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/list/7511186/10-best-fall-autumn-songs

http://gb.napster.com/blog/post/the-best-autumn-songs

Top Bottom