Season 293 Fall in to Autumn

C-beams at the the Tannhäuser Gate
Old Gardener Guy - Finland

Doesn't that one rhyme 'fruit' with
"Dumb, palpable and mute"?

Like Berni the muse got me in her grip last night while asleep and I have hurriedly added three verses from this this beautiful French song, which is very much about the autumn and its melncholy side.

The poem was written by Alphonse de la Martine and put to music by Georges Brassens.

Please excuse inept ukulele playing, particularly at the beginning!

These are the three verses I sing here:

"Voilà les feuilles sans sève
qui tombent sur le gazon,
voilà le vent qui s'élève
et gémit dans le vallon;
voilà l'errante hirondelle
qui rase du bout de l'aile,
l'eau dormante des marais;
voilà l'enfant des chaumières,
qui glane sur les bruyères,
le bois tombé des forêts.

C'est la saison où tout tombe
aux coups redoublés des vents,
un vent qui vient de la tombe
moissonne aussi les vivants,
ils tombent alors par mille
comme la plume inutile,
que l'aigle abandonne aux airs,
lorsque des plumes nouvelles
viennent réchauffer ses ailes à l'approche des hivers.

C'est alors que ma paupière
vous vit palir et mourir,
tendres fruits qu'à la lumière,
dieu n'a pas laissé murir;
quoique jeune sur la terre
je suis dejà solitaire
parmi ceux de ma saison
et quand je dis en moi-même
"où sont ceux que ton coeur aime?"
je regarde le gazon.

Voilà les feuilles sans sève
qui tombent sur le gazon
et gémit dans le vallon
qui rase du bout de l'aile
l'eau dormante des marais
voilà l'enfant des chaumières
qui glane sur les bruyères
le bois tombé des forêts."

Last edited:
Sings, plays, and leaves

Been camping in the Adirondacks, which some call part of the Appalachians, some don't. They've both got mountains and trees and leaves, and the leaves are falling but not a lot of color or volume of leaves yet.

Mark Heard is gone, but he has some nice work left to remember him by. This is one of his songs many have covered.

Like Berni the muse got me in her grip last night while asleep and I have hurriedly added three verses from this this beautiful French song, which is very much about the autumn and its melncholy side.

The poem was written by Alphonse de la Martine and put to music by Georges Brassens.

STILL CANNOT FATHOM HOW TO LINK DRECTLY TO THE VIDEO , DESPITE FOLLOWING KINDLY PROFFERED INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER, BUT HERE IS THE YOUTUBE LINK:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=Y18NblRT7j4[/video]

Please excuse inept ukulele playing, particularly at the beginning!

These are the three verses I sing here:

"Voilà les feuilles sans sève
qui tombent sur le gazon,
et gémit dans le vallon;
qui rase du bout de l'aile,
l'eau dormante des marais;
voilà l'enfant des chaumières,
qui glane sur les bruyères,
le bois tombé des forêts.

C'est la saison où tout tombe
aux coups redoublés des vents,
un vent qui vient de la tombe
moissonne aussi les vivants,
ils tombent alors par mille
comme la plume inutile,
que l'aigle abandonne aux airs,
lorsque des plumes nouvelles
viennent réchauffer ses ailes à l'approche des hivers.

C'est alors que ma paupière
vous vit palir et mourir,
tendres fruits qu'à la lumière,
dieu n'a pas laissé murir;
quoique jeune sur la terre
je suis dejà solitaire
parmi ceux de ma saison
et quand je dis en moi-même
"où sont ceux que ton coeur aime?"
je regarde le gazon.

Voilà les feuilles sans sève
qui tombent sur le gazon
et gémit dans le vallon
qui rase du bout de l'aile
l'eau dormante des marais
voilà l'enfant des chaumières
qui glane sur les bruyères
le bois tombé des forêts."
[video]https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=Y18NblRT7j4[/video]

Here you go James! Find the icon, the 2nd from last on the right, looks like a strip of film, if you scroll on it, it says "insert video", you click on that icon, it brings up a box, insert your Youtube URL into it, then click "ok".

Nice season, there has been a lot of good songs this week.

I intended to add yet another Autumn Leaves rendition, but I ended up deleting last nights recording hoping to make some better today, only to find that the day slipped away with chores without time for ukulele. So I will save that song for another time. It is hard for me to learn a song properly in one week.

Thank you for the music!

Nice season, there has been a lot of good songs this week.

I intended to add yet another Autumn Leaves rendition, but I ended up deleting last nights recording hoping to make some better today, only to find that the day slipped away with chores without time for ukulele. So I will save that song for another time. It is hard for me to learn a song properly in one week.

Thank you for the music!
oh noooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :(

ok, almost as if i hadn't already brought a gazillion songs to the season :uhoh: our lovely host encouraged me to bring yet another, telling me autumn ends on december 21st, and so - to complete my little set of songs for autumn - i should really bring a december song too! so... here ya go!

She'll Be Gone

Just under the wire.
Some of the lyrics for this song have been in my head for 30 years, long before I'd ever written a song. It's good to finally exorcise them. :)
Thanks for a fine Season!

So late on this one, I really need to start these on the Saturday that they start. This is the most Autumn/Fallish song that I know. This is Dan Zanes' 'Moonlit Town. I didn't have enough time to make a synched up vid but here it is.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to everyone who participated this week!! It's been quite an experience for me. I'm truly blown away by the variety and quality of the selections. I appreciate it more than you all know. I'll try to get a wrap up video up in a few days.

Autumn Sweater
OnlyUkeThatMatters

I was introduced to this song this week, and I love it! Your version is terrific. Outstanding strumming going on here, how you keep that up and stay in time amazes me. Thanks for doing this one!

Pensées des Morts
james donal faulkner

Absolutely gorgeous song and so well done! I looked up the English translation to the lyrics it does fit Autumn melancholy perfectly. I really liked that one fingered fast strum you were doing, worked to great dynamic effect. Your uke sounds excellent.

Appalachian Melody by Mark Heard
dickadcock

New one to me Dick, this is wonderful! I love the "Music to my eyes" line. That's brilliant. Very nice performance here, glad to hear you this week!

Bunt sind schon die Wälder (The Forests Have Turned Colourful)
Plastik Uke

How delightful! Great song, and lovely playing and singing. Really enjoyed hearing this in German. Thanks so much!

DECEMBER - homemade song
BirdsEyeViewOfMyUke

See, don't you feel better now! You're all "set" and a completist and such. Good girl! Good song too, like it a lot! Thanks for doing it.

She'll Be Gone
John Liebler

Thrilled you got this one in John! Incredibly good song. Brilliantly written, I guess after 30 years those lines wanted to escape huh? "Like the geese on the lake, she'll be gone before the leaves". Genius man. Excellent finger picking and singing too. Thanks!!

Moonlit Town
29moons

That bass line is awesome here! Imagine me saying that huh? Love the solo too, and the video. Cool song, great production. Enjoyed the heck out of this, thanks for doing it!

Awesome! Thank you so much Trent! I had a great time this week playing some of my favourite songs, can't ask much more than That!

Awesome, 110 videos is a lot of songs ..
Thanks for Hosting Trent, great you enjoyed your first time hosting, you did a great job of it, and it was my first time entering a song video to the Seasons and yeh also enjoyable for me.
Congratulations to Ryan, New Uke New Hat week :)
Also congratulations to all the participants for the great song vids and thanks for making me welcome and allowing me to participate ..
Happy Ukeing :)

Greetings,

Thanks for hosting. Great week for sure. Congrats Ryan!

Ciao

Top Bottom