Season 293 Fall in to Autumn

hope this qualifies "i love Paris in the Fall".A cole Porter special

Birds fly in we plant out our seed. Birds fly out we harvest.
Some birds never fly but they have a different story to tell.

This song is not about Autumn, but it does mention several times, the month of September. To say that I love this song doesn't do justice to it really. Goffin and King wrote some fantastic songs, but for me this is as about perfect a pop song as was ever written. Apparently this was initially written for Bobby Vee (G and K had already written Take Good Care Of My Baby for him) but it was rejected as a single though it did appear on a Bobby Vee album. So, the demo version with Carol King singing was released instead.

This is an old standard in country and bluegrass circles, but I've never tried it before. Always really liked it though.

Autumn Song - "Höstvisa" (1965). Lyrics by Tove Jansson (the artist and writer behind the Moomins). Music by Erna Tauro. Equally melancholy in Swedish and English.

consider this an open request for someone with more vocal skill than me to please cover April Come She Will which has mentions of autumn and September. I treid and just can't do the song justice.

I think I dodged a bullet with the cold. Just a little crud in my throat. I edited out the part where I cleared my throat several times before I started.

(chorus)
When autumn comes to south Texas
You know what that means
It's still 90 degrees outside
No it don't mean one blamed thing

Yeah when autumn comes to south Texas
The trees are still covered with green
Unless you're in Lost Maples Park
It don't mean much of anything

Sometime about mid-November
The leaves are gonna fall
One day they're green, the next they're brown
And then they're gone, that's all

Maybe we'll get a blue norther in
And see the barb-wire covered with rime
With a little luck, maybe we can wear
Long sleeves by Christmas time

(chorus)

We do know what autumn leaves look like
The internet shows us what we want
All the desktops 'round about these parts
Change to pictures of Vermont

No there ain't much to see around here
When the trees put on winter's pall
The only orange leaves we'll ever see
Are on the poison oak in the fall

(chorus)

Last edited:
consider this an open request for someone with more vocal skill than me to please cover April Come She Will which has mentions of autumn and September. I treid and just can't do the song justice.
Hi Kelly, I was thinking of actually getting in and doing that one this week. I already have, I think, two different renditions of this on my YouTube page though. There is also a tutorial on how to do the opening riff so we’ll see we’ll see.

Well folks another day in the books, and things keep "falling" into place wonderfully! So many great entries I'm wondering how I'm going to pick a winner. I didn't want to to a drawing, but I may waiver on that, not sure yet. So many fantastic songs! If you haven't yet, check out the Seasons debut by WS64, it'll knock your socks off!

Harvest Moon
greyghost1964

I too was expecting a different "harvest Moon" song. This one is new to me, and it's wonderfully creepy! I love the pacing of it too, frantic, yet not. The back up singers and the percussionist all deserve a raise! Excellent execution and bring!

Sweet Leaf
greyghost1964

New to me, powerful song, only matched by your sweetly powerful vocals. Your voice is an instrument itself! Great singer. I love the title of this song too. Thanks so much for introducing me to it!

The Boys of Fall
The Martins

Great choice for the week, even if it is Kenny Chesney. lol jk This is a real good song, and I like that you did this in your own cool high octave style that I really enjoy. You hit paydirt here!

Autumn Sweater
Desert Pavement

I fall into the category you described of YLT being a band I've heard of, but not heard. I like this song a whole lot! Great melancholy to it! You sound good. The Onion article is a doozy, even by the Onion's standards! There's a lot to peel back on this one....

Doing an autumn song the way I should 293
The Cloverdale Kid

Outstanding bring for this week! Fits perfectly. There's so many lessons to learn from this song, a lot of us spend way too much time trying to fit in and please others, for financial gains or otherwise, which only makes us miserable. Bonus points on the hat too! Swell job all the way around here!

When It's Autumn On The Trail
Randy McSorley

Yes! I think the Riders in the sky are one of the best acts in the world! The total package of entertainment and world class talent. Love the accordion in this one, and the solo on it. This makes for a very pleasant ride indeed Randy!

Autumn Within
pabrizzer

Breathtaking beauty all the way around here! Love everything about it. Fabulous playing, more awesome recorder work, the poem, your melody, and the pictures on the video are amazing and inspiring. It doesn't get much better than this folks.

Indoor Fireworks
steve phillips

Great song! Very clever lyrics. I've seen this title, but never actually heard it. I like Elvis Costello though. I love the "Gin my vermouth" line. Isn't it too dry to blow off fireworks in the fall though? Guess not huh. lol Nicely played here sir!

i love paris
Stanley Russell

Oh my yes! More fantastic singing from you. Just great. Love the chord structure of this song. Perfect for this week. Thanks for doing it, enjoyed it greatly!

Try to remember
weegingayin Scottish Ukulele player

The birds are awesome! What a fun video to watch. Great song for the week too, and I like your more uptempo version, worked very nicely. Your uke sounds great here.

Forever Autumn
WS64

You hope I like it?? Let me pick myself up off the floor and I'll let you know! Holy moly! Thanks so much for joining us this week, and your Seasons debut couldn't be any more spectacular. What dexterity and precision you have, and yet playing so tastefully. Gorgeous looking and sounding uke too! So yes, I certainly "liked it", in the understatement of the year.

It Might As Well Rain Until September
One Man And His Uke

New one to me, what a fantastic song! You're right, this is pop perfection personified. Catchy and interesting. Very fine performance here too, you were in the zone!

CUGAR!
Ukuleledaddy

Good one! New to me, I love the title "Blue Charlotte". Really nice song, and your singing here is excellent! Thanks for doing it!

Höstvisa (Autumn Song)
kolibri uker

Brilliant! I really enjoyed this in both languages, very nice of you to do it in both. New to me, this bring the Autumn melancholy out perfectly. Lovely performance and video too. Thanks for putting the effort in. I'm a 1965 model myself, so bonus points there too. lol

THE HOMEMADE 2-CHORD AUTUMN BLUES
BirdsEyeViewOfMyUke

A mighty fine blues rocker here to be sure! You weren't fibbing, you were just using "artistic license". Autumn is definitely one of my four favorite seasons! Thanks for another original! Great stuff.

When Autumn Comes To South Texas (original)
UkeintheHeartofTexas

So....I guess Texas isn't a big Autumn tourist destination! LOL Really cute and clever song. Love the western swing feel, the Texas uke, and the hat. Thanks for the original!

I wanted to write an original for this season and decided on writing one about my favorite Halloween picture book. I included some illustrations, so you could tell what the heck is going on in the song. Hope you like it.

Hi Seasonistas, I thought I would join in on the Seasons of the Ukulele Season 293 fun. I learned a song called Autumn Leaves but this one is by Ed Sheeran. This song is a different one than the traditional jazz standard Autumn Leaves. It is just an audio recording version though so I hope that is okay. Thank you for listening.

Last edited:
Second attempt using picking instead of uptempo chunking.
Sunflowers at Ersta Manor house Villähde Finland.

I played this Hank Williams Jr. record over and over and over when I was a little kid, found it so mesmerizing. I still love the song, was fun to finally give it a go now.

Here is my Berni Original for this Season. I started off taking notes for a far more complex song in which the notion of getting to the end of our lives was woven into a narrative about the process involved in Autumn. Then I just thought it was getting too pretentious and anyway I felt it had been said before and better. So I switched tack and tried to write the simplest song I could without it becoming "cursi" as they say in Spanish (prissy or twee). I hope you feel the end result walks the line, but doesn't step over it.

The other thing I was experimenting with here was using an odd number of lines in the verses (verses by default seem to always have an even number of lines). I also tried using an unusual rhyme scheme in which most lines end with the A rhyme, but a single line ends with the same single B rhyme throughout the four verses. Tell me if you think that worked, please.

Anyway, hope you enjoy my little "Autumnal Song" entitled:

PS When it came to writing the melody (the lyrics came first on this one) the only choice for this song had to be the wonderful "Eugene Customised" Baritone that I won in a Season that the wonderful Jon Duncan ran one year. Customised by Jon himself in one of his many avatars "Eugene".

Top Bottom