Music stand

RafterGirl

Reaction score
As a novice, playing for about 6 months, I thought this would be helpful for beginners. Most of the threads on this subject are a year or more old.

When I started, I bought a music stand that was lightweight, compact, and inexpensive. I quickly realized that was a mistake. It's flimsy, and can't hold much except printed off song sheets. The Daily Ukulele book barely fits on the ledge. Forget putting a ring binder on it. It feels like it will tip over at any minute.

I ordered a Peak music stand (SMS-20, $35 on Amazon). It arrived today. Awesome. Easy to set up, sturdy, with a wide shelf that easily holds a book or binder. Good height adjustment for sitting or standing. Packs down fairly compact. Not as little as my other stand, but not bad at all.
27 X 5 x 6 inches and weighs just under 6 pounds. There's enough extra room in the carry bag to stick a phone, car keys, small wallet, maybe even song sheets.

We shall see how it holds up. Looks good at this point.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EPVXWU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have several friends that use these. The Peak stands are sturdy, stable and well made. The drawbacks are weight and packed size.

Peak is not a brand that I've seen in the UK. UK purchasers looking for a sturdy product might like to consider a Hercules brand stand, my experience if them has been very positive and yes they are sturdy.

I’m the staff photographer for the Los Angeles Lawyers Philharmonic, Big Band of Barriters and Legal Voices Chorus, a total of about 150 people, many of whom use that Peak stand including the conductor when not in an auditorium that provides stands. The leader of our uke group just got one and gushes on how useful it is.

But I decided a few years ago to go completely digital and put all my music in a 13.5” Windows tablet using MobileSheets Pro (even though I’m a major Apple fanboy). I mount it on a small light stand with a iKlip tablet clamp and quick release mount.

Last edited:
I’m the staff photographer for the Los Angeles Lawyers Philharmonic, Big Band of Barriters and Legal Voices Chorus, a total of about 150 people, many of whom use that Peak stand including the conductor when not in an auditorium that provides stands. The leader of our uke group just got one and gushes on how useful it is.

But I decided a few years ago to go completely digital and put all my music in a 13.5” Windows tablet using MobileSheets Pro (even though I’m a major Apple fanboy). I mount it on a small light stand with a iKlip tablet clamp and quick release mount.

What is a light stand?

Look at the Desca Presta stand online, holds big books and is very compact folded up.

I was just at a gig over the weekend and one of the guys had that stand and was complaining that it was a pain in the neck to deal with, so it depends on what you like. I have a few stands by K and M, both the regular music stand and the heavy duty one, which are really solid and fold up easily for transport.

Last edited:
depending on the ambient conditions and what i'll be using the stand for, I choose
among 3 styles: a very compact and light folding stand mostly for song sheets (one-piece variety),
a large, one-piece folding stand, very sturdy and a bit heavy for heavy-duty use (capable of holding
3" 3-ring binders full of music), or the Desca Presto - very portable - totally self-contained.

if I'm teaching and will only need the stand to hold pieces of paper, I can go very light.

If I'm leading a song circle which uses a thick 3-ring binder, the larger, one-piece (thick-tubed) stand is it.

Frankly, I have not been taking the Desca Presto to any gig or event, however, one of my friends always
does so, and it truly fits the bill, whatever that may be. The Desca Presto may be the overall best option...
but I still favor the one-piece lighter models because they are lighter and easier to assemble and just
carry around.

If I were only permitted to own and use one music stand, although I'm not in the habit
of using it, I believe I would select the Desca Presto... go figure :)

keep uke'in',

Last edited:
On a crazy whim, I bought a beautiful walnut (colored) wooden music stand. I like it a lot, but I hardly ever use it. It's downstairs in the dining room, and I play upstairs in the music room annex (bedroom).

I'm keeping it because it's so nice looking. Maybe someday I'll find a use for it. :eek:ld:

I wonder how this one compares to the Peak? I have three stands just alike, and they are those cheap chrome folding stands that have been around forever. I bought a microphone stand at the pawn shop and the three came with it. They work, but are not particularly stable. I would like something a little better.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-...d=142031519568&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

The Peak stand folds up smaller, making it a little easier to carry. I wish the straps on the Peak carry bag were a little longer so I could sling it over my shoulder, but the Peak stand is reasonably light, given its size and sturdiness.

attachment.php

Top Bottom