Song Help Request Constructive Criticism Wanted to Improve First Time Tabbing Effort

kitsunegarcia

Reaction score
So I found chords for a song by ear for the very first time recently. I deliberately chose a song that hadn't been done before so I couldn't cheat by looking it up online, but now I have no way to check my effort. What improvements would you make with this chord sheet. Add anything or simplify? :eek:

The chord sheet is here:
https://www.ukulele-tabs.com/uke-songs/drab-majesty/the-foyer-uke-tab-54863.html

The video I made is here:

Last edited:
The content of your link is blocked in the UK. :(

Sounds like you might be confusing a chord sheet with tab, from the above post.
It is a common mistake, tab shows the notes to be played.
(A lead sheet usually has chords, tab, & lyrics)

Constructive comment - If it sounds right, then it most likely is. :)

kit:

I didn't see any tabs on the link you provided. All I see are words and chords, but no tabs.

Omg so sorry! You are right! Still working on actual detailed riffs! I am new to this forum, new to working out music by ear, and posting ettiquette here.

The content of your link is blocked in the UK. :(

Sounds like you might be confusing a chord sheet with tab, from the above post.
It is a common mistake, tab shows the notes to be played.
(A lead sheet usually has chords, tab, & lyrics)

Constructive comment - If it sounds right, then it most likely is. :)

Bummer!

Thank you for the clarification! So often i search for a song with added search phrase "tabs" and just get chord sheets.
To get actual tablature, i search for a song and add search phrase "sheet music". What a wacky world!
I guess ukulele-tabs should change their name to ukulele-chords since like 90% of their stuff is chords and if you are lucky a riff or 2. :eek:

To be fair, most, if not all, the songs on ukulele-tabs.com look just like this. No reason to get all pedantic about it.

I'm not familiar with the original, but I'm with uke1950, if it sounds good, it is good. And the video sounds good to me. Kudos for transcribing it yourself. :shaka:

I have to ask about your signature. What is a "bootleg" uke?

To be fair, most, if not all, the songs on ukulele-tabs.com look just like this. No reason to get all pedantic about it.

I'm not familiar with the original, but I'm with uke1950, if it sounds good, it is good. And the video sounds good to me. Kudos for transcribing it yourself. :shaka:

I have to ask about your signature. What is a "bootleg" uke?

Bootleg uke? Mostly an inside joke that is too long to explain here. But it came about because the ukulele says it is an aNueNue but i suspect it is faked.

Hi, kitsunegarcia!

Nice play and nice tab!

What is A/Dsus2? I often see slash for bass note. Which fingering is this one?

Hi, kitsunegarcia!

Nice play and nice tab!

What is A/Dsus2? I often see slash for bass note. Which fingering is this one?

Ukulele-tabs strongly frowns upon explaining a "tab" or adding comments to the bottom of anything you submit so I had to leave it like that. But i put my fingers in position for A chord (2100) and hammer an additional finger down a few times so that it is Dsus2 (2200) . Is there better or more standard notation to show that?

Last edited:
But i put my fingers in position for A chord (2100) and hammer an additional finger down a few times so that it is Dsus2 (2200) . Is there better or more standard notation to show that?
Good question. There are ways to notate hammer ons in real tab , but I don't know that I've seen that on a chord chart. I agree with zztush that slash is not a good choice as that has a specific meaning already. Maybe
A,Dsus2,A,Dsus2
would get the point across?

Also having the Dsus2 chord listed at the top might help to indicate the intent as you could see the intended fingerings.

Hi, kitsunegarcia!

Slash is used for on bass. A/D is A chord on D bass. I write this way.

Code:
C                   A       Dsus2
Can't dissolve your noxious mind

A         Dsus2
I'll treat you right

Hi, kitsunegarcia!

Slash is used for on bass. A/D is A chord on D bass. I write this way.

Code:
C                   A       Dsus2
Can't dissolve your noxious mind

A         Dsus2
I'll treat you right

Many thanks! There are certain sections where the hammering happens a little more often than that. Do you think it would be confusing to see a lot of "A and Dsus2" right after each other in a line?

Good question. There are ways to notate hammer ons in real tab , but I don't know that I've seen that on a chord chart. I agree with zztush that slash is not a good choice as that has a specific meaning already. Maybe
A,Dsus2,A,Dsus2
would get the point across?

Also having the Dsus2 chord listed at the top might help to indicate the intent as you could see the intended fingerings.

Zztush had a good idea to just write all of them out one right after another, although it could look potentially crazy or messy.

Sadly, i cannot add chord pictures to the "tab". When one submits something there, the algorithim adds Xs to it and automatically puts in chord pictures. On their forum someone already called out that their QC seems to miss adding suspended chords. Also at this time, there is no way to edit my original work. I'll have to submit a new one and tell admin to delete the old one.

Do you think it would be confusing to see a lot of "A and Dsus2" right after each other in a line?

I don't mind. I think it is ok. I think Dsus2 is Asus4. If you hummer on, Asus4 is more natural than Dsus2 after A. And check the availability of Asus4 on the site. sus4 may be more common than sus2.

Top Bottom