Help dating Pono MT

Plot36

Reaction score
So, I never intended buying another uke but . . . . wandering round York today after dropping my son off at Uni I came across a shop with a good selection of ukuleles including some Ponos. One was the MT which I had a play with and liked a lot. When I looked at the price tag it was a tad over £300 - a lot less than I'd seen it elsewhere so I handed over the cash and left a happy man. When I got home I realised that mine was differ to the models on sale currently as it has a simple mahogany headstock and no ebony faceplate so I suspect it had been on the shelf a while - not a problem as far as I'm concerned but I'm curious to know which year(s) it's from.

image.jpg

image.jpg

First of all, congratulations to your purchase, great uke for a great price!

I currently own eigth Pono ukes from 2011-2017. All of them have a serial number printed on the block of the neck, inside the body. As far as I can tell, the first two digits represent the year the instrument was built.

If you look inside the sound hole and up to the neck block, do you see a number there? What does it say?

Other than that, just by looking at your pictures and especially the light colored faceplate and the tuners with black (?) buttons, I would wildly guess that your instrument was built in 2016 or 2017.

Many thanks for the info - looks like it's a 2017 model.

First of all, congratulations to your purchase, great uke for a great price!

I currently own eigth Pono ukes from 2011-2017. All of them have a serial number printed on the block of the neck, inside the body. As far as I can tell, the first two digits represent the year the instrument was built.

If you look inside the sound hole and up to the neck block, do you see a number there? What does it say?

Other than that, just by looking at your pictures and especially the light colored faceplate and the tuners with black (?) buttons, I would wildly guess that your instrument was built in 2016 or 2017.

When did Pono update the faceplate? I have a Pono mango baritone with mango faceplate and what looks to me rosewood fretboard and bridge, though I was told when I bought it the fretboard and bridge were ebony.

Tom

So, I never intended buying another uke but . . . . wandering round York today after dropping my son off at Uni I came across a shop with a good selection of ukuleles including some Ponos. One was the MT which I had a play with and liked a lot. When I looked at the price tag it was a tad over £300 - a lot less than I'd seen it elsewhere so I handed over the cash and left a happy man. When I got home I realised that mine was differ to the models on sale currently as it has a simple mahogany headstock and no ebony faceplate so I suspect it had been on the shelf a while - not a problem as far as I'm concerned but I'm curious to know which year(s) it's from.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Have you tried an Online Dating Service? ;)

Seriously, there are sites that help you establish when something was made.

Top Bottom