1940s Favilla Mahogany Soprano and Koa Pili Koko (KPK) Deluxe Mahogany Tenor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkthompson

Reaction score
I'm culling my herd to make space for some recent purchases here (an Opio concert and Collings UT1) and to demonstrate to my wife that I have my UAS under control (hah!).

First up is a 1940s Favilla Mahogany Soprano purchased last year from Jake at Antebellum Music. SOLD Here's the original listing with a description, pics, and a sound sample. https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/2016/10/1940s-favilla-mahogany-soprano-ukulele.html . I prefer concert and tenor scale length instruments these days, so this lovely Favilla soprano needs to find a new home. Currently strung with Martin fluoros (vs the Aquilas in the link). The tuners work fine with the washers Jake installed. Comes with the pictured original canvas bag. I'm asking what I paid : $250 plus shipping charges (should be nominal given weight and size), pay pal friends and family. This vintage Favilla will make a soprano player very happy!

Next up, a Koa Pili Koko Deluxe Mahogany Tenor with figured maple binding in "like new" condition (no blemishes). I purchased this from Jason at pilikoko.com a couple of years ago. Currently strung with Worth clear strings. Nice tone, good sustain and low action for easy playability. KPK tenors have a wide 1.5" nut , a low neck profile, and an open pore, low gloss finish. Includes padded gig bag. I own two other KPKs (a pineapple and a mahogany concert) and the only reason I'm getting rid of this tenor is I'm limiting myself to one mahogany tenor, and that'll be the new Collings.

Price $200 plus shipping, pal pay friends and family. You won't find a better solid mahogany tenor at this price point!

As an aside, I understand that Aersi (the Chinese manufacturer) has reclaimed the KPK brand, and that Jason will no longer be selling "gumby" headstock KPK ukes from his Hawaiian shop.IMG_0830.jpgIMG_0831.jpgIMG_0833.jpgIMG_0834.jpgIMG_0836.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Todd,

Can you tell me whether or not the Favilla with such a low action has any buzz issues when strumming hard of with fingerstyle technique? Also, did you prefer the original Aquilas or the Martin Flouros?
Thanks.

No buzzing whatsoever. Jake indicated that he'd done a fret level/dress, and the frets are indeed quite low. But it plays very smoothly. Jake did a nice job fixing it up. And cosmetically it's in pristine condition.
I'm not a huge fan of Aquilas in general and prefer the clarity and brightness of fluorocarbons. It sounded fine (see sound sample) with the Aquilas. But I had an extra set of Martins lying around so I put them on. I think the Martins brighten it up a tad, but it is still has that dominant woody, "breathy" tone.
Happy to include the original set of Aquilas, though.

I'm Todd's neighbor, occasional uke trading partner, and fellow Favilla enthusiast. He's a great guy to deal with. I've sampled both these ukes (albeit briefly), and they are just as he describes them.

Please note, however, that Jake Wildwood has just changed his website name and url, so the above link is now obsolete. Here's the updated link:

https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/2016/10/1940s-favilla-mahogany-soprano-ukulele.html

I'm Todd's neighbor, occasional uke trading partner, and fellow Favilla enthusiast. He's a great guy to deal with. I've sampled both these ukes (albeit briefly), and they are just as he describes them.

Please note, however, that Jake Wildwood has just changed his website name and url, so the above link is now obsolete. Here's the updated link:

https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/2016/10/1940s-favilla-mahogany-soprano-ukulele.html

I'm not in the market right now (as trying to sell more) but I can highly recommend Jake Wildwood (previously Antebellum Instruments) work. Definitely a highly recommended seller of vintage instruments.

Jon/Seonachan--thanks for the kind sentiments (likewise!) and for flagging and fixing the link! I've updated the original posting with the new link.

The old Favillas are great instruments with a lovely sweet mahogany tone. Good luck with the sale!

Somebody's going to be very happy!
Happy NUD!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom