Free Uke, Really...

robedney

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Really. No tricks, nothing up my sleeve. Please read all of the below before entering this drawing (even though it is, admittedly, a “wall of text”). You have a 1 in 100 chance of winning the uke.

Some of you know that I’ve been prototyping a carbon fiber hybrid ukulele. At the moment I’m focused on tenors, but once I’ve nailed down the final design other sizes will be coming.

As I’ve been doing this I’ve accumulated several prototype instruments and have given a few away. Now, the fact is that I wouldn’t be as far along in the process – or perhaps sufficiently motivated to continue – without Ukulele Underground. So, it makes total sense to offer a freebee here!!!

This is a “play anywhere” uke. You can bash things with it too, the ABS and carbon fiber bits being all space-agey and durable. You can immerse it in water so long as you dry off the wood parts when it pops back up.

Pics, details and video below. Before we get to that though, there are a few rules:

1. You must really want it. In other words, be fair to other UU members: If all you play is sopranos, consider not entering.
2. You must be a UU member, and you must have become a member at least a day before this post.
3. This is a prototype. It is not a final version of the Orca. Although “Orca” is carved on the headstock I will be sticking a label inside with the word “Prototype” boldly on display. You agree to leave that label in place.
4. You will please explain the above to anyone who sees or tries the uke.
5. You agree not to sell it. You can give it away, so long as you pass along these rules.
6. You agree that you won’t “review” this uke. You can certainly discuss it on UU and say anything you like so long as you disclose that it is a prototype and not typical of an Orca. In fact I welcome any such discussion/video/NUD post, etc.
7. You must enter you’re UU username, which I promise never to abuse. Do not enter your email address unless you want to be on my mailing list, which I also promise never to sell or abuse – and will use infrequently.

Shipping:
I will ship via USPS Priority anywhere in the US for free. I’ve shipped our violins all over the world and it’s sometimes a real pain to do so – even to the UK, which is weird. If you live outside the US I don’t want to deny you participation, but you agree to handle all shipping details, pay for shipping, email a PDF of all applicable forms and the shipping label. I will deliver to any major carrier within a reasonable distance to me.

Instrument Details:

Orca prototype tenor ukulele. This was primarily an experiment in bracing patterns for the top and bottom. It is fitted with Worth Brown low-G strings and the sound – to my ear – is a tad muted. If I were to keep it I would probably switch to the Southcoast set with the wound low G and C with their high tension A and E, and experience suggest that would punch it up to “just fine”. My guess is that it would sound pretty good with any higher tension strings when tuned re-entrant (high G).

The back, neck and rear of the headstock are vacuum formed from ABS, which is tough stuff. The neck is filled with epoxy resin mixed with phenolic micro-balloons (for acoustical mass) and is reinforced by a carbon fiber “beam” through its length. The top is hand-laid (wet) carbon fiber fabric in epoxy resin, graduated in thickness, cured under vacuum and oven post-cured.

The fretboard and headstock are Pau Ferro. The bridge is Pau Ferro with Padauk. Standard metal frets.

When I first made the mould I had to convert from an inside mould (for laying-up carbon fiber, which made a killer uke but at a price point I didn’t want) to an outside mould, which has to account for the thickness of the material. I goofed, making a narrower neck than I wanted. I made a few from this mould anyway because I was focused on sound. As a result, this instrument is 1.3” at the nut and 1.54” at the 12th fret, narrower – and with less flair – than I want. The mould has now been corrected, but I find this instrument playable with my fat fingers.

Tuners are cheap Grover friction, which work fine (but keep a screwdriver handy). The final version will sport something spiffier, probably geared but straight through.

Nut and saddle are real bone. There is a strap button and a para-chord strap which I will include at no additional cost ��

How to enter:

I’ve created something on Google sheets and it’s pretty self-explanatory. Click on the link below and enter your UU user-name (and email if you so choose) next to the number you want (1-100).
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LS2wq_qHEnTqB-ZZ9zamln9EGEqgtwk21xAK5gfEf9Y/edit?usp=sharing
The drawing ends when the list is full or Monday next (9/2/17), whichever comes first. I will then do a quick video of using an online random number generator to determine the winner. The winner will be announced with much fanfare on UU and by private message.

orca_proto_1.jpgorca_proto2.jpgorca_proto3.jpg

And here's a very quick and very dirty video, recorded straight into my Ipad -- no external mic, no EQ, etc:

[video=youtube_share;0SNauL5leSg]https://youtu.be//Sn5NuKL9KUE[/video]

Last edited:
The video still doesn't play. Also, I think the spreadsheet is set to view only, as that's what it said when I tried to write on it.

All that aside, this is a very generous offer. Thank you for thinking of it.

OK, I think I have: Allowed sharing on the entry spreadsheet AND set the video to public so that it all works now. Please holler if I've still got it wrong :)

Okay... I entered my UU name on the spreadsheet. How do I save it?

I don't have a Google ID.

I re-opened it and it is still there, so I guess I don't have to save it like an normal excel sheet... cool!

John

Done. Thank you. I was just mourning having wasted a chunk of money on a uke that is unsalvageable. At least this way I might have the opportunity to replace it with something that works :)

A most generous offer, thank you for thinking of this. :)

I liked the sound of it in your video, I won't enter, as I'm in the UK, but good luck to you who do.

Thanks for your generosity. Have my fingers crossed.

Thanks for doing this!
Looking forward to your product roll out.
Good luck everyone.

Cool! I'm in!!

It looks very neat, and what a cool concept for giveaway. While wood is great, I find the most versatility in my non-wood ukes.

Thanks Booli. I think I've fixed that -- at least I can see it. Would you mind trying again?

Yes, video working now - thanks for fixing it. I deleted my previous post since the issue is no longer relevant.

I also can confirm that adding my name to the list is persistent on the Google Sheet. N.B. to other folks, you need to press 'ENTER' after you type your name into the box for it to be 'saved' into the sheet.

Rob - thanks ever so much for offering this wonderful instrument. I am excited for your future projects along this path.

Should I be so lucky to win, I would cherish and play this one all the time. It sounds GREAT in your video.

Mahalo :)

Top Bottom