Free Uke, Really...

OK, I need some advice here:

It occurred to me while looking at the entry sheet that the possibility of a tie exists. How, you ask? Well, let's suppose that the winning number is 50, but no one has entered on that line. The next step would be to go to the nearest number to 50. For the sake of argument, suppose we have entries at 49 and 51????

Two solutions have occurred to me, and I'd like some feedback on your preference: The first is, in the event of such a tie, to just flip a coin. In the example above, either 49 or 51 would win. The second is to just keep hitting the random number generator until an actual winning number comes up. In other words, if number 50 is blank and the number 50 is generated, I just generate another number until hitting one where the number is claimed.

Thoughts??? Of course this is a non-issue if the list is full by Monday.

Great job you have :) Thanks for the opportunity. Been a while since a free quality uke was offered on UU. I miss the days when Aldrine used to have contests! This uke would be welcome in my family. I like ukes that have a different sound. Good luck with the final outcome! Orca...♥ it. I just thought of something. This uke should be called "Free Willy"!!! You know, the movie with the Orca?

I love it! Free Willy it is. If I ever give another one away that will be in the thread title!!!

....In other words, if number 50 is blank and the number 50 is generated, I just generate another number until hitting one where the number is claimed.......

This sounds most reasonable. Sort of like a drawing for a door prize in which you have to be present. If no one answers, you draw another number.

OK, I need some advice here:

It occurred to me while looking at the entry sheet that the possibility of a tie exists. How, you ask? Well, let's suppose that the winning number is 50, but no one has entered on that line. The next step would be to go to the nearest number to 50. For the sake of argument, suppose we have entries at 49 and 51????

Two solutions have occurred to me, and I'd like some feedback on your preference: The first is, in the event of such a tie, to just flip a coin. In the example above, either 49 or 51 would win. The second is to just keep hitting the random number generator until an actual winning number comes up. In other words, if number 50 is blank and the number 50 is generated, I just generate another number until hitting one where the number is claimed.

Thoughts??? Of course this is a non-issue if the list is full by Monday.

I would say just hit the random number generator until you get a number that is taken. Seems easiest to me.

Very cool. Generous of you. Sounds wonderful. I watched your videos on the boat a year or so ago with interest. I have a old Rainsong parlor guitar that has carbon top and laminated back and sides. Great sound. Mostly I do play soprano, so will watch this contest with interest!
Best to you in this endeavor!

Very kind of you! Looking forward to seeing your final version.

Thank you for the opportunity! (Sounds great in the video!)

This sounds most reasonable. Sort of like a drawing for a door prize in which you have to be present. If no one answers, you draw another number.

Agreed! Seems the easiest and fairest way to do it.

Thank you for doing this! What a fun and generous way to advertise your ukuleles. The sound clip demonstrates the crystalline clear notes that carbon fiber is capable of producing. Not better than wood - simply different. A very beautiful sound. Love the name you've chosen as well - Orca! Great reminder of our ocean friends and their unique song.

Good luck to everyone!

With very little foresight, I showed this to the kids in my uke club after school today.

They're super excited, but they also wanted to each create accounts to try and tip the scales in our favor. Teenagers make questionable ethical choices, especially in groups. Who knew?

Good luck everyone!

With very little foresight, I showed this to the kids in my uke club after school today.

They're super excited, but they also wanted to each create accounts to try and tip the scales in our favor. Teenagers make questionable ethical choices, especially in groups. Who knew?

Good luck everyone!

I love it! How many kids in your group?

It's an awesome offer .. I'm sure not much more needs to be said regarding that, very generous and considerate Rob.
I was hesitant to enter the draw, I'm in Australia, so it would be a bit of an effort if I win I suppose, I don't know much about the official import requirements, however I figure I've got a 99/100 chance of not winning, and I couldn't resist the opportunity to enter for one of these Orca prototypes, it does seem like a really nice alternative style Uke, and I'm sure we'll see more of these in future with times being such as they are and alternative materials being explored more now.
Luck to all the entrants in the draw, and Thanks to Rob Edney for the opportunity to win a prototype Orca ...
Happy Ukeing :)

Wow, this is super cool and very generous. I just entered. Thank you!

Congrats Chris. If you happen to come to the next Ukulele World Congress, please bring the Orca so some of the rest of us can see and try it.

Top Bottom